KTM Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So after much time spent with the bike and the help of you guys, I finally got the full rebuild and the lectron carb installed! It still needs some adjustment but it rides great and the muffler got rusted again (any info on how to prevent the rust on muffler is appreciated lol) I did however blow a head gasket and got water everywhere 馃槶馃槄

Super Moderator
The factory pipes are bare metal. Clean rust off and make look nice. Then use oil on them. Or you can also paint them with spray paint that is for mufflers/headers/hot areas. We did that on a 85 we had as I got sick and tired of trying to keep it tidy (It was a practice bike).

Premium Member
So after much time spent with the bike and the help of you guys, I finally got the full rebuild and the lectron carb installed! It still needs some adjustment but it rides great and the muffler got rusted again (any info on how to prevent the rust on muffler is appreciated lol) I did however blow a head gasket and got water everywhere 馃槶馃槄

Not to worry much about small problems. Use a small amount of high temperature RTV to sort out the cylinder head leakage. Use sparingly. Use scotchbrite and acetone to polish and prep muffler and give it a coat of high temperature clear or silver paint to solve rusting. Repainting may be required to keep it pretty

Super Moderator
A blown head gasket on a 125 indicates one of 4 things:
  • The head gasket was already worn when you put it in. Always fit new head gasket after you have the head off! They are cheap enough! We have a few spare all the time.
  • The head gasket was not fitted properly and got pinched when you tightened up the head. Use just a little grease on the head gasket to make it a fraction "slippery"so it slips in to its groove.
  • Your squish is set wrong and the piston pushes on the head.(1.1mm is a good general setting)
  • The head bolts were not tightened to recommended torque. (could be one of them or more). Also if the thread in the cylinder has been damaged/worn/stripped the bolt/bolts do not stay tight! Always use the small copper washers under the bolts!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
So I took it a part and nothing was blown there was just a crack in the hose right next to the gasket and I got it fixed!

Super Moderator
Best thing with that was that it only cost you a little time!
Make sure you check the water level in the radiator!

Happy riding!

Super Moderator
Looking good! In 2012 KTM went to a linkage for the rear suspension. That moved the shock to the middle of the swing arm. Some of the explosive power was lost as the air intake boot now became narrower. But KTM concluded that the improvement in handling (and the ability to now set-up the rear suspension much better) more than compensated for the loss. Since then they have tried to increase the airflow and partly succeeded. Years ago we raced a 2012 against older 125's that had same setup as yours. In straight "drag racing" they would beat us. But as MX is not drag racing, we tended to catch them in corners, whoops and tricky areas as our rear handled those areas better and gave superior control of the power. But what you have there was for years unbeatable by other manufacturers, and is still today a very capable package in right hands!

Reactions: Mafalate

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Looking good! In 2012 KTM went to a linkage for the rear suspension. That moved the shock to the middle of the swing arm. Some of the explosive power was lost as the air intake boot now became narrower. But KTM concluded that the improvement in handling (and the ability to now set-up the rear suspension much better) more than compensated for the loss. Since then they have tried to increase the airflow and partly succeeded. Years ago we raced a 2012 against older 125's that had same setup as yours. In straight "drag racing" they would beat us. But as MX is not drag racing, we tended to catch them in corners, whoops and tricky areas as our rear handled those areas better and gave superior control of the power. But what you have there was for years unbeatable by other manufacturers, and is still today a very capable package in right hands!
Put a lot of work into it and will be mainly running trails for a while until I get a handle of the bike. As for my first bike I鈥檓 literally in love right now!

Super Moderator
Just stay on top of things and you do well. Change air filters before they clog up badly. And when you do be very careful that you do not get any of the dirt in to the aiboot and then carbi!! By swapping air filters earlier rather than later that risk is lower as there is less dirt on the air filter.. Use grease around the contact area of the airfilter (smear it on the contact area of the air-boot). And have extra air filter frames so you can have oiled airfilters all ready for the swap. Do regular oil changes and check the magnet of the plug for metal bits. You will always have some metal there. But as long as they are small you are OK. If you get a bigger piece of metal there then you need to start worrying! But main thing is have fun and ride hard! These rocket ships can take a beating and they love it! Oh and the recommendations KTM give re carbi setup for different altitudes and air temperatures are always very close to spot on.

Reactions: augiedoggie

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Just stay on top of things and you do well. Change air filters before they clog up badly. And when you do be very careful that you do not get any of the dirt in to the aiboot and then carbi!! By swapping air filters earlier rather than later that risk is lower as there is less dirt on the air filter.. Use grease around the contact area of the airfilter (smear it on the contact area of the air-boot). And have extra air filter frames so you can have oiled airfilters all ready for the swap. Do regular oil changes and check the magnet of the plug for metal bits. You will always have some metal there. But as long as they are small you are OK. If you get a bigger piece of metal there then you need to start worrying! But main thing is have fun and ride hard! These rocket ships can take a beating and they love it! Oh and the recommendations KTM give re carbi setup for different altitudes and air temperatures are always very close to spot on.
Thanks! I usually do all those checks before and after I ride. Also as far as the carb setup for altitudes, I鈥檓 running a lectron atm so I shouldn鈥檛 really have to mess with it all too much! Also I found that using the lectron and VForce reeds gives the bike some insane power over stock (atleast it feels that way for me).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts