KTM Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 ktm 450 sx I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips an tricks on starting the thing I checked the shop manual an looked at the specs on the valve clearances an they are in spec I did just rebuild the carb on it its not leaned out or to rich I was having this issue with it before I rebuilt the carb when I do get the bike running it runs great the guy who I bought it off from didn't seem to have a problem starting the bike up I know its just me I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips or tricks thanks in advance

·
Dirt Wizard
3,746 Posts
First start up cold....snap open the throttle and hold open for 3 seconds. That let's the accelerator pump squirt fuel at the back of the intake valves. (If the acc pump is working)
Get the bike to full compression with the kick starter right up the top. Slowly push the kick starter one tooth through the compression. Let the kick starter come back up to the top and kick one clean sweep through.
(Don't let the kick starter through much more than one tooth when getting past compression as you might hit compression half way through your kick and break your knee on the hangers)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First start up cold....snap open the throttle and hold open for 3 seconds. That let's the accelerator pump squirt fuel at the back of the intake valves. (If the acc pump is working)
Get the bike to full compression with the kick starter right up the top. Slowly push the kick starter one tooth through the compression. Let the kick starter come back up to the top and kick one clean sweep through.
(Don't let the kick starter through much more than one tooth when getting past compression as you might hit compression half way through your kick and break your knee on the hangers)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts