KTM Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Ktm and was given this bike! Everything I read about the carb for this bike says it’s a pain in the ***! And they are correct! Is there a different carb I can put on this bike so I am not adjusting or playing with it all the time? Thanks! Also will a 65 carb fit?

·
Super Moderator
1,885 Posts
I am new to Ktm and was given this bike! Everything I read about the carb for this bike says it’s a pain in the ***! And they are correct! Is there a different carb I can put on this bike so I am not adjusting or playing with it all the time? Thanks! Also will a 65 carb fit?
Welcome to the forum!

I have moved your post to the "Sportminicycles" category. In this category there is loads of good info re the 50 and 65 bikes. Spend some time checking it out and you will have a much better understanding about the small rocket ships.

We started with an air cooled 50 but quickly moved to the water cooled one so my boy would be able to keep up. We never had an issue with the carbies. KTM has recommendations for the bikes regarding carbi setups for different outside temperatures and height above sea level riding. They are for the most spot on.

There are two 50 Seniors. What bike do you have (they use different carbies). KTM 50 Senior or KTM 50 SX PRO Senior?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!

I have moved your post to the "Sportminicycles" category. In this category there is loads of good info re the 50 and 65 bikes. Spend some time checking it out and you will have a much better understanding about the small rocket ships.

We started with an air cooled 50 but quickly moved to the water cooled one so my boy would be able to keep up. We never had an issue with the carbies. KTM has recommendations for the bikes regarding carbi setups for different outside temperatures and height above sea level riding. They are for the most spot on.

There are two 50 Seniors. What bike do you have (they use different carbies). KTM 50 Senior or KTM 50 SX PRO Senior?
I have the air cooled senior

·
Super Moderator
1,885 Posts
Is this your carbi? R6357 Dellorto PHVA 12XS - KTM 50 SX - Eurocarb
All parts: 2004 KTM 50 Senior Adventure & Carburetor Dellorto | KTM World

If yours is the same, then you can use any other carbi with same outlet inner diameter. If I read it right, the inner diameter of the outlet is 17.5 mm.

Your height above sea level should not require any adjustment from basic.

We never had any issues with our 50cc carburetors.
  • Check that the jets, needle etc. you have is what is recommended in the link I provided.
  • Check that the float level is correct and the float needle is working properly and seals. (You can normally get rebuild kits for the carbies where the parts that wear/get old are provided)
Often when the bike starts running poorly people blame the carbi, but the real reason is with one (or more) of the following:
-- Low compression
-- Clogged up exhaust
-- Leaking head gasket
-- Problems with air filter (dirty or excessive oiling)
-- Quality of fuel (old and stale, water in the tank, oil mix wrong)
-- Not enough fuel coming from tank (air does not get in to replace the fuel through the cap, dirt in bottom of fuel tank reducing fuel output, clogged tap or fuel hose)
-- Spark plug
-- Ignition (timing or poor spark)
-- Leaking inlet manifold to motor (cracks or holes in the rubber)
-- Leaking crank seals
-- Crank needing rebuild
to mention the most obvious ones.

I feel pretty confident that if/when you have checked (and repaired what needs to be repaired) all these you will have found the issue. But if you, against the odds, still have an issue feel free to come back and we will try to help you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts