KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this bike super cheap and have been in the process of converting it to street legal. I pulled the headlight off earlier this week to try and figure out why it was cutting out from time to time and found a rats nets of damaged wires, connectors, zip ties, and electrical tape. I started trying the clean it up and make proper connections, but now nothing works. (No power to the tail light, headlight, and the bike won't start; It does crank.) I have the Haynes manual for this bike, but I can't make heads or tails of the diagram. On top of that, there is a lot of non-standard electrical gear tied in. (There is a three position key wired as a kill switch and light control, a non-standard start button, and a trail tech computer that was not showing speed or RPMs.)

Can someone with a similar bike take detailed pictures of the front wiring harness and connections and share? According to the manual 2004 - 2007 525 XCs should be similar.

Assuming I can't figure this out, would a repair shop be able to? It's got to be one wire out of place, but there were so many unused, cut, spliced, and doubled back wires it's hard to tell. I took a picture before I started changing things, but now I can't find it.

This is a project bike, so no rush.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Hello and welcome Jason. Sorry for your spaghetti mess of wiring you inherited. One of the problems with owning a used bike that age is there has been lots of years worth of idiots that can subject the bike in to the condition you have found yours. Your Clymer manual can only make things worse:(
Give the Clymer manual a heave and find the factory manual for your bike. The generic manuals are crap! There is a thread on this forum put up by our friend @Axzon Showing our forum friends here where to source PDF copy of factory manual. Be sure to take detailed pictures of your wiring as found. This will be possibly used for reference later. I would first concentrate on finding source of your no start if possible. Once the bike starts and runs you can work on the individual wiring circuits needed to restore your old monster to riding condition. You may find if your wiring harness is butchered up beyond salvage you may do well to visit motorcycle salvage yard for a donor bike to pillage needed wiring harness or electrical parts needed. Good luck to you

Reactions: Axzon

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Hello and welcome Jason. Sorry for your spaghetti mess of wiring you inherited. One of the problems with owning a used bike that age is there has been lots of years worth of idiots that can subject the bike in to the condition you have found yours. Your Clymer manual can only make things worse:(
Give the Clymer manual a heave and find the factory manual for your bike. The generic manuals are crap! There is a thread on this forum put up by our friend @Axzon Showing our forum friends here where to source PDF copy of factory manual. Be sure to take detailed pictures of your wiring as found. This will be possibly used for reference later. I would first concentrate on finding source of your no start if possible. Once the bike starts and runs you can work on the individual wiring circuits needed to restore your old monster to riding condition. You may find if your wiring harness is butchered up beyond salvage you may do well to visit motorcycle salvage yard for a donor bike to pillage needed wiring harness or electrical parts needed. Good luck to you
You will find all KTM manuals in the category "Bike Tips and Tricks". Open that one and inside there is a thread with manuals for all/most bikes KTM has ever manufactured. Some of the manuals are free, some are yours for a small fee.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will find all KTM manuals in the category "Bike Tips and Tricks". Open that one and inside there is a thread with manuals for all/most bikes KTM has ever manufactured. Some of the manuals are free, some are yours for a small fee.
Thank you! This is great information. I didn't realize there was such a difference in the manuals.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Very good. Well done sir. Happy to assist any time. Best regards

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Thank you @Axzon and @augiedoggie for all of your help. With the correct wiring diagrams, and more importantly the color coding, I was able to get the bike running and lights on this morning.
Well done! And feel free to come back if you have more questions/issues!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts