KTM Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone so i have this extremely annoying issue with my bike i bought and rode it once with no issue and then every other time after that i had this issue, basically the bike runs well and then usually after about an hour or less of riding when i go to start it after ive had a break the bike starts but it runs terribly, it has no power it doesn't advance, it sounds like the timing has been retarded, smells like it running rich, the bike sounds completely different it still runs just very poorly, now sometimes i can turn the bike off and start it again and it will be fun and run like normal however every single time i turn it off once its started doing that it wont run properly and sometimes i have to sit there and stop start it for up to 5-10 mins before it starts running right again but i cant turn the bike off with out that happening again, and almost every time the issue occurs the bike sounds different to the last time it did it sometimes it sounds like its got no fuel other times it just shoots flames like its misfiring its really weird.

it still does this with the kill switches disconnected however it seems to do it less. I've change the spark plug the ignitio coil and lead and also the spark resistor cap, after the issue still occurred i took it to a mechanic he checked the valve clearances checked the carbie and then tuned it, he did resistance checked on the stator and pick-up had a look over the wiring and after that he concluded it must be the CDI, so i bought a CDI for it, still didnt fix it, after 2 months of being at the mechanic he rang me and told me he had given up so i had to go pay a mechanic bill for a broken bike.

i have no idea what else to do with it, the only thing i can think of which hasn't been done is pull the stator out myself and visually inspect it, i will also go over the wiring again and clean all the connections and earths.

the mechanic told me he hasn't ever seen an issue like that before, so im wondering has anyone else seen or heard of and issue like that, does anybody have any advice on how to go about it.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Dirt tracker
3,837 Posts
Sounds like a stator issue. The copper wiring absorbs engine heat when motor is shut down and sometimes breaks down the internal insulation and causes internal short in stator or possibly broken winding wire in stator or both. I hate to throw parts and money at a sick bike but sometimes that's our last resort. Check back as needed for assistance. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts