KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having issues with overheating have tried engine ice and everything else on the planet still overheats. Ordered a fan however the XC has different radiators than the exc and xcw for some ridiculous reason Im sure. Point is can't mount thermostat plug to radiator because there is no connection. My choices are buy new radiators or on/off switch don't like either one. Question: has anyone ever welded a connection to the bottom of the radiator and threaded to house thermostat. If so how did it work?:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Usually on the RH side radiator at bottom there should be a allen headed plug where temp sender screws in, as for getting one braize welded in if you go to a good radiator expert they should be able to do it no problems.These engines do get hot when idling around they need plenty of air and make sure you change coolant regularly as the water pump seal goes hard and wears cam seal runner out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. However, a removable plug always exists on the exc and xcw models in order to accomodate the thermostat, it never exists on the xc, or sx models unless maybe an Austrian worker indulged a little too much the night before work. I am aware of the low speed problems that is why I purchased the fan. I am also aware that a good welder can probably do the job. What I am looking for is some one who has had it done if anyone, and did it work?

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
Are you jetted stock still?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why do they make a bike like that? Sounds like a cheap import special they made. Sorry there mate i have only had experience with the exc and sx series in Australia,never heard of the xc over here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually the XC model has a semi close gear ratio that is specifically designed for GNCC style racing. It is a fairly popular model hear on the east coast. David Knight won the GNCC series on this model. It does have issues with overheating in low speed situations, which frequently occur in hare scramble/gncc style racing specifically in Florida. Rejetting the bike from Austrian standards to Florida standards is a must. Having done all of this already my only other option is the fan. I have installed the on/off switch purchased at Auto Zone works great. Grand total $7.00.

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts