KTM Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner attempted to wire a new Baja headlight he also installed a dc conversion kit on here. The bike runs like a dream when it kick start it haha. Here are the issues the headlight won't work. I just installed a new battery today and everything went fine. I tried to use the E Start again then it wouldn't turn over. I had to kick it. My question to you guys is that I want to rewire this whole bike what's the easiest way? Can I just buy all the OEM wiring harnesses and disconnect the current ones my reason being is because the wiring is so mangled and dirty and random wires sticking all over. So yeah if anyone can point me in the right direction. I would highly appreciate it. I just want to set it up stock.

Premium Member
The previous owner attempted to wire a new Baja headlight he also installed a dc conversion kit on here. The bike runs like a dream when it kick start it haha. Here are the issues the headlight won't work. I just installed a new battery today and everything went fine. I tried to use the E Start again then it wouldn't turn over. I had to kick it. My question to you guys is that I want to rewire this whole bike what's the easiest way? Can I just buy all the OEM wiring harnesses and disconnect the current ones my reason being is because the wiring is so mangled and dirty and random wires sticking all over. So yeah if anyone can point me in the right direction. I would highly appreciate it. I just want to set it up stock.

Maybe leave the re wiring to the experts. If you really feel the wiring needs complete replacement the best method is a new factory wiring harness. A lot of the used stuff for older models could be in worse shape than your spaghetti mess馃樀 you may be able to troubleshoot your starter circuit trouble by back tracing the starter circuit and testing. I suspect your recent battery swap may have dislodged a connection or perhaps you neglected to reconnect wiring as found. If motor cranked before your recent service and refuses to crank afterwards, it seems likely your work caused the problem. Maybe have a look at your work to see if you missed something. Hopefully you can get a wiring diagram for your machine to help your troubleshooting. Good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe leave the re wiring to the experts. If you really feel the wiring needs complete replacement the best method is a new factory wiring harness. A lot of the used stuff for older models could be in worse shape than your spaghetti mess馃樀 you may be able to troubleshoot your starter circuit trouble by back tracing the starter circuit and testing. I suspect your recent battery swap may have dislodged a connection or perhaps you neglected to reconnect wiring as found. If motor cranked before your recent service and refuses to crank afterwards, it seems likely your work caused the problem. Maybe have a look at your work to see if you missed something. Hopefully you can get a wiring diagram for your machine to help your troubleshooting. Good luck

I may have missed something. I'll defintely have to check. However I still want to rewire it. I found the OEM wiring harness online. Is it a matter of just disconnecting everything from the other wiring harness and plugging it into the new one?

Premium Member
I may have missed something. I'll defintely have to check. However I still want to rewire it. I found the OEM wiring harness online. Is it a matter of just disconnecting everything from the other wiring harness and plugging it into the new one?
Bada bing!!:D Best and easiest way to do it is a new harness if possible. It should be plug and play.....but a bike that age may have seen changes or repair attempts in other areas. Your aftermarket headlight kits sometimes require cutting harness plugs out. Your factory harness may have several more small sub-harness as well.Don鈥檛 get worried if your bike won鈥檛 have a space for every connector in your new harness. They are used on several models and sizes of machines which use or don鈥檛 use every connector/wire. You want to test your starter relay circuit before you start this operation to verify major wiring transplant is needed. Good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Bada bing!!:D Best and easiest way to do it is a new harness if possible. It should be plug and play.....but a bike that age may have seen changes or repair attempts in other areas. Your aftermarket headlight kits sometimes require cutting harness plugs out. Your factory harness may have several more small sub-harness as well.Don鈥檛 get worried if your bike won鈥檛 have a space for every connector in your new harness. They are used on several models and sizes of machines which use or don鈥檛 use every connector/wire. You want to test your starter relay circuit before you start this operation to verify major wiring transplant is needed. Good luck

yeah he has a bunch of random wires. He has a aftermarket fan hooked up and the after market head light. If I get the stock wiring harness and just gut every thing. Would I be able to reuse those?

Premium Member
Some of the better aftermarket lighting kits use OEM compatible connectors and will connect directly to your stock harness. I would be surprised a bike that age hasn't been cobbled up somewhat. The factory wiring plugs and terminals are common electric connectors. You can find them at electric supply if you are persistent and find a patient
sales clerk. Be sure to test connector fit before installing as they are usually keyed together and look alike until you try to fit them and find them slightly different and incompatible. The connectors and plugs are inexpensive.

Registered
This sounds a lot like the wiring mess my 525 EXC was. Thankfully my partner is a mechanic and can do the auto electrics. He has stripped out most of the old wires and replaced them with new connections. Basically we can take the rear subframe off the bike and disconnect at the connections as well now. The wiring and connections he got mostly from JayCar but did get bulk connections from eBay. He also used heavy duty cable for the battery. We do have fans installed on them now as they are prone to overheating issues with thermostats but also a manual override to turn them on the the latest is new headlamps as the factory ones are ratshit.

If you don't know your wiring, get the harnesses, if you have a manual and know how to wire then do it yourself.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
joshb973
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing