KTM Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 690 SMC that I picked up last week with 9k miles. Coming from a DRZ Im taking it down and going thru it all to see what it needs. I have to do the maintenance on it (fuel pump, rocker arms etc) replace any OEM parts it needs (rear plastics, decals, missing bolts) and adding some mods (fueling dongle, SAS delete) It came with an FMF header and akrapovic exhaust, but Im still exploring options there. Here are some photos of the bike when I first picked it up. As I tear it down I will add more parts to the list. If anyone have an insight, criticism, advice, anything at all, please reach out. Ive worked on and built plenty of bikes but this is my first KTM. I also have this build post on Supermotojunkies

It will need new tires, new grips, a new mirror setup for sure

·
Dirt Wizard
4,342 Posts
Welcome d1rtypelican.
I like the bike. Looks great. Sounds like you have done a little research as you're doing the most important mods first anyways. @cors187 is into his 690 smc's he's done a bit to his. See if jumps in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Started stripping the bike, removing the seat, fairings, exhaust, lights, and more or less anything that is quick to come off. I have a full exhaust but the connection from the FMF header to the Akra isn’t perfect. It seems to fit much better on the stock header pipe. Im going to add the fuel dongle and cap off the O2 sensor anyways regardless of the exhaust setup I end up with.

I have started a running list of anything that I might need both OEM parts and aftermarket. Im hoping to start getting parts ordered if anywhere has some good Black Friday deals. I guess my goal for this bike would be OEM plus. Start with a good base and then some extra parts for fun, and rideability

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slowly getting my hands on everything and trying to clean it as well as taking inventory of anything that needs to be ordered or replaced. Cleaned off the chain drive and found that I will need a new rear sprocket so might as well do front and chain as well. I took off the front and rear suspension to clean it up as well as took off the front brakes.

I will need to order some new banjo bolt washers and pads. Im thinking of going with the EBC HH sintered, if anyone has any recommendations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The first big part of this build Im trying to tackle is the fueling. Ive been told to replace the fuel pump and luckily, Quantum has a drop in fuel pump with all new lines and connectors. The fuel cap leaked when it was topped off according to the PO. As I was googling threaded metal caps, I came across Vanasche Motorsports that had a “blemished” cap. When I received photos back from the owner, he let me know that the laser had started etching the logo in the wrong spot. I had no issue with that, and ordered the part at a discounted price. Its such a solid piece compared to the plastic key cap, and it looks so much better.

I stripped the tank and it seemed to have a bunch of sludge or paint inside it, that was stuck to the inside of the tank. Im used to working with older metal tanks and carbs with corrosion, so normally I fill it to the top with vinegar and that takes off the corrosion. This being a plastic tank, I tried it without any results, so I tried some brake fluid cleaner, and it seemed to come right off the inside plastic. I will still hose it all down and air it out, before dropping in the new fuel pump.

As for the hoses leading out to the injector, I will be replacing the line after the quick disconnect, since it had the notorious rubbing issue and Im worried it will cause to eventually weaken and leak. Going to put on some new screw on clamps and as for the injector Im going to have it sent out to have it cleaned, flow tested and refreshed later on.

As for other parts I ordered the OEM parts that I need. AOMC was having a Black Friday sale with 15% off everything on their site. I got new rocker arms, new tank bushing, a new white rear fender, new OEM decals, OEM rear brakes and air filter (more on that later) and any other bolts and bits I might have needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the OEM parts order in from AOMC, bolts and bits, and other stuff. Got new tank bushings as well as the new rocker arms, filter, tail section, gaskets and o-rings. Checked the valve clearance while it was all opened and it was within spec, will check again after a couple hundred miles on the new rocker arms just in case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a set of OEM pads since Im not heavily reliant on the rear brakes, and prefer them lighter than to locking them up. The old ones were quite worn out, the pad material on the new ones alone was thicker than the whole old pad and backing plate. Took the rear wheel and caliper off and gave it a thorough scrubbing, all it needs now is a bleeding in the spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After parts started arriving (still waiting on a few), I slowly started tackling this bike. The brake pads were quickly done and replaced. Still need to reinstall them bleed them, but that will be after the wheels and tires are done. I sent out the fuel injector to get cleaned up, got my lithium battery in from Revzilla, and my KTM ECU wiring should be in this week.

Im going to start going thru the bike, save and double check the tune and replace everything needed for its first start up. (New fueling system, new air filter, new plug, fueling dongle and emissions delete). No point in trying to button up the bike and clean it, if for some reason the engine doesn’t want to start, run, and idle well. Goal is to complete this for March 1st, which is realistic but I can’t commit to this amongst all the other work that the other cars and bikes need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts