KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi KTM family,
I'm new to the KTM family and have just purchased a 2011 400 exc.
I am after info on a coolant leak i have at the moment, as you do with purchasing second hand bike's i have changed all oils and coolant and after going for a short ride i noticed the engine was quite hot and there was coolant leaking from the over flow hose so i check the thermostat and found it to be faulty so i removed it (and have not replaced it as i have seen you can run without them) but there is still coolant leaking from the over flow and now i'm not sure if the radiator cap could be faulty or is there another issue.
The coolant is approx 5mm above the fins after i stopped the bike and the book states it should be 10mm above.

Any info in this issue would be great.

cheers

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Not very common to find a defective radiator cap but not impossible either. Just a simple poppet spring device but very inexpensive to replace if suspect. Cap can be tested for proper release pressure but testing device costs more than a new cap. You may have a cooling system issue causing your overflow but careful to test first. If it overflows and spews all coolant it would indicate serious trouble but spitting a small amount after shutdown is sometimes common after a hot run. If it spews a small amount and still has radiator tubes covered with coolant(checked after engine cooled off overnight) it may be normal coolant expansion. Any more than this would indicate other troubles. Defective Water pump, kinked hose or air bound cooling system can be possible causes or leaking head gasket or cracked head or cylinder can cause these troubles. Best to work from the simple checks to more complex to find trouble. Check back as needed for help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply I’m taking it in to the KTM shop to have a more in-depth look worried it could be a head gasket

cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts