KTM Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2012 450 sxf. Been having some starting issues with it lately. It almost seems like the battery won’t hold a charge. I put a brand new and charged battery in it a long with a new stator. I went out on a trip and I got it started from a jump start from the other bike and would run for a while and would die if I wasn’t in high rpm, even would die in neutral. Had to jump start it the whole time to get going. After this trip is when I installed the new stator and it seemed to help a little bit but it happened a few times on my following trip. Battery sits on the charger in the mean time. Going to try a new ignition switch because sometimes I press the switch and there’s nothing there. It doesn’t even try to start. I checked all my connections and everything is good. Any thoughts/ideas or similar problems? Thx

·
Super Moderator
1,302 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

• There has been an issue with after market starters that do not work as well as OEM KTM ones and will turn the motor over but not get the engine started. This indicates that there is not enough power left to create a good spark. Normally this issue goes away when you fit an OEM starter motor.
  • Your bike has a carbi, so I would recommend taking it off and giving it a good clean and check that all jets are clean also (take them off and clean them). Then also adjust the float level in the carbi. There are good videos on YouTube re how to do this. Also set the idle screw and air screw to recommended positions.
  • Fit a new plug and check how your spark looks like. If it is weak you might have an issue in the spark plug cap or ignition coil.
  • Have you checked the compression? If compression is low you will get issues with idling. This could be as result of valve issues, scrapes/wear in cylinder or worn piston rings.
  • Your bike will also have a decompression unit that drops the compression some so the motor can turn over fast enough for it to start.
  • The automatic cam chain tensioner has also been giving problems. It should be take off on regular basis and checked for deposits and wear. When the tensioner is not working properly the timing of the valves can change a fraction.
Also, I recommend using the right category for getting help for your issues. There is a 4 stroke category where issues like this one is discussed and addressed.

Come back and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.

• There has been an issue with after market starters that do not work as well as OEM KTM ones and will turn the motor over but not get the engine started. This indicates that there is not enough power left to create a good spark. Normally this issue goes away when you fit an OEM starter motor.
  • Your bike has a carbi, so I would recommend taking it off and giving it a good clean and check that all jets are clean also (take them off and clean them). Then also adjust the float level in the carbi. There are good videos on YouTube re how to do this. Also set the idle screw and air screw to recommended positions.
  • Fit a new plug and check how your spark looks like. If it is weak you might have an issue in the spark plug cap or ignition coil.
  • Have you checked the compression? If compression is low you will get issues with idling. This could be as result of valve issues, scrapes/wear in cylinder or worn piston rings.
  • Your bike will also have a decompression unit that drops the compression some so the motor can turn over fast enough for it to start.
  • The automatic cam chain tensioner has also been giving problems. It should be take off on regular basis and checked for deposits and wear. When the tensioner is not working properly the timing of the valves can change a fraction.
Also, I recommend using the right category for getting help for your issues. There is a 4 stroke category where issues like this one is discussed and addressed.

awesome, thanks for your help. much appreciated

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

In my experience with KTM the valve train has been the cause of starting issues, then you burn out your starter and the list goes on, check you ground cable.🙄

1 - 5 of 5 Posts