KTM Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK,

I've done everything that Orangeblood has done. Bike runs very well everywhere except during closed throttle deceleration, especially long descents. It is not backfiring loudly; it is popping and stumbling clumsily when coming back on the throttle off idle. One clue is that the " idle adjust knob has little to no effect on the idle... It will run at 4 clicks out or 18. Its off idle transition was better when it was new with all "accessories" present. I have looked for air leaks, but haven't found anything obvious.

It is not terrible, but it is isn't right either...

I will check the tps values, but if it is not that, then what is it?

Thanks,
Roy

·
Registered
76 Posts
OK,

I've done everything that Orangeblood has done. Bike runs very well everywhere except during closed throttle deceleration, especially long descents. It is not backfiring loudly; it is popping and stumbling clumsily when coming back on the throttle off idle. One clue is that the " idle adjust knob has little to no effect on the idle... It will run at 4 clicks out or 18. Its off idle transition was better when it was new with all "accessories" present. I have looked for air leaks, but haven't found anything obvious.

It is not terrible, but it is isn't right either...

I will check the tps values, but if it is not that, then what is it?

Thanks,
Roy
Did you installed an aftermarket fuel filter and removed the stock one? I can't explain the idle not responding but it may be starving for fuel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe a vacuum leak? Are you sure you don't have a hose off somewhere?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still backfires

Hey, I have a 2015 exc 500 and while it was stock I never experienced any popping noises. At 1000 miles I added the FMF 4.1 slip-on and now it pops like crazy. I plugged the end of the SAS valve hose(read it is same as removing). The popping may have decreased but has not gone away. Any thoughts? I did not alter any other emissions

·
Registered
4 Posts
2015 KTM 500 exc trouble starting

My 2015 Exc has about 1200 miles and 45 hrs on it. I've changed the oil every 15 hours. when I try to start it for the first time it has to turn the engine longer before it cranks. It's getting worse. But after its warm it starts right up. I have never had the valve clearance checked. Any thoughts? I'd hate to check the clearance unless I have too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey, I have a 2015 exc 500 and while it was stock I never experienced any popping noises. At 1000 miles I added the FMF 4.1 slip-on and now it pops like crazy. I plugged the end of the SAS valve hose(read it is same as removing). The popping may have decreased but has not gone away. Any thoughts? I did not alter any other emissions
Sounds like you're lean, probably need to set your TPS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2015 Exc has about 1200 miles and 45 hrs on it. I've changed the oil every 15 hours. when I try to start it for the first time it has to turn the engine longer before it cranks. It's getting worse. But after its warm it starts right up. I have never had the valve clearance checked. Any thoughts? I'd hate to check the clearance unless I have too.
I took my bike to the dealer. He just called me and said my hard start issue was caused by the dealer who sold me the bike. The exc has a first start procedure. You must crank and let idle until it is fully warmed and fan kicks on. You only get one chance. This lets the efi calculate itself. The tech had to re flash and start over. This fixed my gas issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
While at the dealer I had my ecu remapped. Adding an exhaust opens air flow causing bike to run lean. He is adding a new US unrestricted map, not the European map everyone is talking about. This will get rid of my popping and uncork the beast. I'll test drive it this weekend. Can't wait

·
Administrator
14,818 Posts
While at the dealer I had my ecu remapped. Adding an exhaust opens air flow causing bike to run lean. He is adding a new US unrestricted map, not the European map everyone is talking about. This will get rid of my popping and uncork the beast. I'll test drive it this weekend. Can't wait

Well make sure you post results!:turned:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi this is buckeye power sports in buckeye az wanted to share some info with you ,so bikes that have this issue that have carbs the slow jet is too small and needs to be changed to a bigger one for instance if you have a slow jet of 35 and its bacfiring on decel and you know that the exhaust isnt leaking then you need to change to a 45 or even a 50 on the slow jet and that will take the pesky back fire away for fuel injection models the tune is not rite its lean on low to mid but mite be rich at the top so needs to be richen up i would also recommend putting it on a dyno and keep tunning it until its where your liking is

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
24 Participants
02ktx560
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing