KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so a couple months ago I bought a 2012 250 SXF, I rode it for a while then the kick start just completely stripped out, I checked the internal gears and they are fine, but the lever itself is stripped out, I believe they removed the electric start as it doesn't have one and put in a kick start kit. So my point being is that I have a couple questions, could it possibly be a 2011 engine in a 2012 frame? being that it is kick start only? How do I verify that? and lastly if it is a 2012 with a kick start kit, where can I buy just the kick start, or will certain year KTM kick start levers fit on the kit?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Okay so a couple months ago I bought a 2012 250 SXF, I rode it for a while then the kick start just completely stripped out, I checked the internal gears and they are fine, but the lever itself is stripped out, I believe they removed the electric start as it doesn't have one and put in a kick start kit. So my point being is that I have a couple questions, could it possibly be a 2011 engine in a 2012 frame? being that it is kick start only? How do I verify that? and lastly if it is a 2012 with a kick start kit, where can I buy just the kick start, or will certain year KTM kick start levers fit on the kit?
All good questions to ask your friendly KTM parts guy. You may want to have a look at the parts breakdown drawing for your bike and use the correct terms and names of the parts you are searching for. It would help your search if you used the correct term. Your bike should be able to convert to electric start if you like, but it would be expensive to add the stuff as new parts purchase. The kits were super expensive. You may find used stuff in motorcycle classifieds, but be careful because some sellers will sell you a bunch of unusable junk without any warranty. Go to KTM world website and look up your parts for your starter on the factory parts breakdown. Good luck

·
Registered
566 Posts
The 2012 did not come with kick only starter motor, and the 2011 did not have a starter motor. (But you already knew that) Contact your friendly KTM dealer with the motor number and he/she will tell you what year your motor is. He/she can also tell you what frame that motor came from. And if you tell him/her your frames VIN# he/she will tell you what motor (and motor number) was originally in that frame. Check your VIN# (on steering neck of bike) by using this: https://www.ktmforums.com/threads/how-to-read-a-ktm-vin.129716/ and you will find out what year your bike is. Regarding kick starter lever, the 2011 had a different one to 2010 and earlier ones. I am not sure what the difference is, but to be safe and not sorry get a 2011 one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Axzon
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing