KTM Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I baught the 2012 rc8 brand new back in april and after only 8000km the engine is destroyed because the oil pump went starving the engine of oil. Ktm is aware of this and is now sending parts to rebuild the engine i would prefer a new crate motor but they say they dont have any and all they can do is rebuild it. I just want people to be aware of this if you own one of these bikes maybe have dealer check your bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be updating as i get more info the engine is apart but my shop said that a little piece in side broke off the oil pump some gear or something and caused it to stop pumping sounds like it had nothing to do with seals i will let you know more.

·
Administrator
14,816 Posts
I wonder it that applies to the 1190 LC8 engines too?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
update on 2012 rc8 oil pump fail blowing engine

so the mechanic said it was a little gear inside the oil tank thats part of the oil pump it broke off destroying the engine because the pump stopped working nothing to do with any seals at all and starved the engine of oil it thank god the bike is still under warranty i just got it in april only 8000km. as of now my bike is the only one with this problem but ktm is looking into the failure of the gear to see if there are any other oilpumps that could be faulty.

·
Administrator
14,816 Posts
I hate to say it, but this is what KTM and all great
manufacturers face by out sourcing components.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On a recent ride, my meticulously maintained 2011 KTM 450 EXC locked-up.
Today my KTM dealer informed me that my bike had broken an oil pump gear -resulting in a total engine failure.
My bike has 3600 kms on the clock @ 80hrs.
The dealer went on to say he would send a parts list to KTM Australia but didn't want to 'get my hopes up'. I am now awaiting a call back from the dealer.
The dealer also noted that I had not returned to the dealership to have the bike serviced (and acknowledged 90% of the customers don't). I stressed that it is meticulously maintained - I even use the recommended Motorex oil at $120/4lts (yes - we get stitched-up here in Australia!). My argument was that the oil pump gear is not a regularly servicable part (regardless of who does the servicing).

Hopes Up

·
Registered
162 Posts
I baught the 2012 rc8 brand new back in april and after only 8000km the engine is destroyed because the oil pump went starving the engine of oil. Ktm is aware of this and is now sending parts to rebuild the engine i would prefer a new crate motor but they say they dont have any and all they can do is rebuild it. I just want people to be aware of this if you own one of these bikes maybe have dealer check your bike.
Would think there would be a oil pressure gauge to flash oil just in case...smdh.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ktm replaced engine with complete new engine

found out last week ktm is replacing with a complete engine from factory instead of rebuilding and pulled engines of the line to check oil pump gears on all engines for fractures or fatigue on parts. lets hope no more problems. but at least they did the correct thing and sent a new engine thx ktm.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The lc8 uses force pumps (3) there's no seals involved in the oiling circuit.The only seals are the gaskets and such that hold oil in the bike!

The oil pump gear had been known to shatter, which means no oil fir the top end. Surprised though, since yours is a 2013 with the upgraded solid gear.
either way. ..new engine fir free! !! Hope it didn't take forever to get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts