KTM Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
I’m currently considering to buy 14-15 sdr
Is there special problems to consider ? Besides water in the swing arm and rear wheel bearing
are they Reliable with proper maintenance ?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
303 Posts
They're definitely a robust bike and they seem to just keep thumping away even with neglect. Having said that, after covering only 10000km on my 2018 model, I've already had a blown fork seal, and today I discovered a leak coming from the shift shaft seal. There's also a minor oil weap coming from a seal where two electrical cables connect to the stator.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think no problems, presumed the airbox is secured tight (our 2 bikes - 2014 and 2015 - airboxes leaked from factory and we Prematex'd the lids from the beginning), swingarm properly serviced and condensation exit provided (We did drill and chamfer 4mm water exit holes) and other service points done. I think they are not actually turn-key bikes, you have to take care of them properly. But servicing is rather easy to be done by owner, too (low costs which is good!). If I would be considering a used sdr 1290 I would have it dyno-tested first, to be sure everything is in order. Dealers might also have a way of seeing how the engine is run, from diagnostics tool but I'm not sure (they might not want to do it anyhow so they might say it is not possible).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine been fine with no issues except my front brake switch is cutting in and out it's a cheap easy fix just haven't done it yet. My front rotors are a bit warped tried new rotors and they still have a slight warp to them. Both of these are very common problems but I wouldn't let it deter me from owning this bike, if you find a good deal on a 1st gen I'd buy it I don't feel like the 2nd gen offers enough upgrades for the price difference.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Eylonb~ As an owner of a 2015 model, there are no major differences from 2014 - 2016 although early adopters have claimed that there were issues with warped rotors and tight clearances in the rear wheel hub. Regarding recalls, per the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there was there was one (ID#15V441000) concerning fuel tanks and one (ID#18V033000) for front brake master cylinders. I will admit that there have been a few small issues along the way (e.g., common taillight mount failure, slave cylinder upgrade and brake pad swap) but hardly deterrents from ownership). Definitely nothing major regarding engine/transmission. Moreover, aside from quite a few sets of tires and basic maintenance (i.e., chain tightening, oil changes, fluid flushes, etc.), this motorcycle has been rock-solid now for over 7 years straight. [knocks on wood]

·
Registered
300 Posts
My 2015 has been extremely reliable from new. Warranty issues include fork seal, rear hub needle bearing and front brake rotors.
Some gen 1's like mine have a quirky issue with the tacho needle jamming up during its start-up sweep, but I discovered a quick fix is to keep bright sunlight off it and it seems to work?
I will say in the last week mine has developed an engine noise that I'm hoping is not too serious. Sounds top end front cylinder, so I'll get that checked out next week when things re-open. Odo currently in excess of 132,000km and this is the first ever engine issue. I had planned to keep it until it blew up.
And I've still got the wifes Bonneville SE to ride, but it's not quite the same. :(

·
Registered
303 Posts
Odo currently in excess of 132,000km and this is the first ever engine issue. I had planned to keep it until it blew up.
:(
Respect. Most SDR's I've seen are lucky to cover 3 to 5k per year, so that is amazing. What you've described sounds a bit like cam shaft wear, which has been an issue on some SDR's over the years. I too will ride mine to its death.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What you've described sounds a bit like cam shaft wear, which has been an issue on some SDR's over the years.
KTM mechanic heard it yesterday and is pretty certain it's the front cam chain tensioner poked. Recommended replacing both tensioners and 4 guides.
Turns out cam chains are about 90% worn so they'll be done too.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I managed 13000 miles on my 2015 b4 I totalled it and over 30,000 miles on my 2016se and I ride it pretty hard. The 2015 was trouble free the 2016 radiator needed service I did myself and I thought I had a bad fork seal but cleaning the forks fixed it. At 19,000 miles a couple valves needed adjusting and the tech said the cams looked fine. Also lost clutch lever pressure and it turned out to be air in the lines, free fix. I love it.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I think no problems, presumed the airbox is secured tight (our 2 bikes - 2014 and 2015 - airboxes leaked from factory and we Prematex'd the lids from the beginning), swingarm properly serviced and condensation exit provided (We did drill and chamfer 4mm water exit holes) and other service points done. I think they are not actually turn-key bikes, you have to take care of them properly. But servicing is rather easy to be done by owner, too (low costs which is good!). If I would be considering a used sdr 1290 I would have it dyno-tested first, to be sure everything is in order. Dealers might also have a way of seeing how the engine is run, from diagnostics tool but I'm not sure (they might not want to do it anyhow so they might say it is not possible).
So when I took my airbox lid off I noticed the throttle body flaps were dirty. Like the assembly was sucking in dirt over time. Is this what you are referring to as far as the box not sealing?

·
Registered
2015 SDR, 2010 250xc-f, 2007 wr450f, 2016 Can am Renegade 1000 xmr, 2001 WS6, 2006 ZO6, 2006 GTO
49 Posts
Sir,
My '15 hasn't given me a minutes trouble, it's a strong hot rod that i have modified a little with exhaust, QS, suspension, rearsets, sliders, and autotuner. It is a fine garage ornament with about 800 miles on the odometer parked next to my Z06 of the same classification.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
shield9~ I'm Ford/Cobra person but the Z06 is a great vehicle. Here's a few of my other beasts:

Eleanor

And before that....

The Terminator

·
Registered
2015 SDR, 2010 250xc-f, 2007 wr450f, 2016 Can am Renegade 1000 xmr, 2001 WS6, 2006 ZO6, 2006 GTO
49 Posts
shield9~ I'm Ford/Cobra person but the Z06 is a great vehicle. Here's a few of my other beasts:

Eleanor

And before that....

The Terminator

I owned half a dozen mustangs but when Ford went to mod motors i went to LS engines. Those are beautiful cars, we seem to have similar interests. My '15 SD seems to be a little more raw than the newer ones and I haven't thought even once about a newer model. I am a fair weather rider who just likes to feel power on certain occasions. Of the 800 miles on the bike at least half is on the back tire.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
shield9~ 100% agree on the O.G./Gen 1 SDR. Notwithstanding the RR (which currently the U.S. doesn't receive), the newer incarnations haven't tempted me as a replacement. When the '15 came out (along with Jeremy McWilliams prototype video) I just had to have the Beast. This was my first foray into twin cylinder machines (I rode and tracked inline fours exclusively) so while I had to slightly adjust my riding style, 7 years later grins are to be had on a daily basis while out riding. Here's to more safe miles for all of us!

·
Registered
31 Posts
So when I took my airbox lid off I noticed the throttle body flaps were dirty. Like the assembly was sucking in dirt over time. Is this what you are referring to as far as the box not sealing?
Yes. When we rode the 2015 home as new I immediately checked the airbox and saw some minor traces of dust already - sealed the airbox (with Permatex) and from then, it luckily was spotless. I had earlier noticed some claims of dust in the airbox on diverse forums, inspected the 2014 and had already done the sealing for it, so when the second bike arrived in the spring of 2015 i was expecting that already. Actually the traces of dust were very minor, have somewhere pics of them because I made a report to the dealer but there was no action from their side. KTM is not the best in the customer relations department! Actually, if I had been responsible of that, I would have corrected it right away or left the company...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts