KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an issue that has popped up a couple of times (once by me, once by the previous owner). The bike runs well normally. This afternoon I started the bike up and let it warm up for a couple of minutes. I had to run in the house, so turned off the starter switch, but left the key on. I came back out less than 5 mins later and went to start the bike again. Nothing. Head lights are on, Neutral light is on, dash is on, no error codes on the FI or screen, just acts like the starter button isn't being pressed. I attached it to a charger for about 10 mins and started right up. I don't think it was enough to drain the battery and surprised that it didn't at least try to turn over.

Think the battery would drain that quickly? Is there maybe a switch that could cause this (neutral switch or something)?

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts
Aren't the head and tail light on all the time in newer bikes?

Sent from my komputer with my brain implant

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are always on, but this one has an LED headlight and LED tail lights. I'd be surprised if it drained the battery in a few mins of being on (with the engine off). Other than nothing happening with the starter, there was no indication there was a voltage problem (if that's what it was). Maybe it's a weak battery, I may just swap it and wait to see it it happens again.

On a related note, anyone successfully push start a 690 Enduro R?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You'll have to do the 9v trick to push start the bike. There's a tread on it somewhere. Basically you need something to run the fuel system, which is electric, so fuel can reach the cylinders while you try and push it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have a 2015 that might have a similar problem. With mine, I can be riding along, stop or stall the bike but when I go to restart and hit the starter nothing happens, no clicks, nothing. A few more stabs and it usually works. I cleaned the switch contacts but they were fine, and checked the battery leads were clean and tight. The battery is fully charged and charging fine. I've taken it to the main dealer and they couldn't find a problem but also couldn't replicate the issue as it's intermittent. I've even questioned myself about how I hit the button but am very sure to give it a solid push. I'd be pleased to receive any suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up replacing the battery even though it didn't show being bad. So far that has addressed it. Old battery would charge and hold a charge, just seemed to discharge quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
They are always on, but this one has an LED headlight and LED tail lights. I'd be surprised if it drained the battery in a few mins of being on (with the engine off). Other than nothing happening with the starter, there was no indication there was a voltage problem (if that's what it was). Maybe it's a weak battery, I may just swap it and wait to see it it happens again.

On a related note, anyone successfully push start a 690 Enduro R?
Yep you sure can but you need a decent length steep hill. Mine then went into limp mode which means you have ride it with very little power until you have charged the battery enough to turn it off and start it as per normal. Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts