KTM Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Full Throttle
5,687 Posts
Someone chime in on that one ya.

And if this doesn't let me power wheelie I'm selling the bike lol. Well prob not but c'mon right.
the older models 2007-2011 have from the factory what was called a 2nd,3rd gear restrictor. On those models a couple of wires could be cut that went to the gear box that disabled the restrictor , then those bikes would wheelie and go a bit harder(no restriction)

On the 2012 it seemed the bikes didnt have the gear restrictor and the ECU was new.

Its very very possible the 2016 and up uses the gear sensor to reduce loop time.
And maybe some evidence might be that an out of control wheelie lift may not give the appropriate protection with the wheel sensors considering the clutch can have a role. But a gear restrictor seemed to work very well on the early models.
theres probably 3 wires going to gearbox.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've got a 2013 and a 2015 690Duke R and both (15/42) will wheely in 3rd with no clutch. 4th I have to use the rear peg and do a stand up but it will do it with a minor groan and moan :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 17 in sport mode with TC on will mono in first for 50m until front wheel is 300mm up. Then change to 2nd just as wheel touches to keep it spinning ( I think it fools the TC) and it will come up again, not as high or as long but still enough for another 30m or so. Turn the TC off and it becomes more like a short legged trailbike. 1st is just to much, too hard, vertical in 2 seconds. 2nd is good for easy 100m then hit 3rd as wheel kisses the road with a slight tug on the bars for another 30-40m. Took a bit of practice but so easy. I'm 110kg so my weight helps a lot.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tetge, which Buell?
Not sure which Buell it is. It is a dead stock older model, perhaps in the 2003-2006 range, with the fuel injected 1000 air cooled twin. All I know is that it is a tiny little bike that is very uncomfortable for me to scrunch down onto.

The interesting thing is that I generally end up, after riding a bit, feeling that my '15 Duke is sort of a genuine performance bike. This feeling is no doubt enhanced by the gearing and the lack of a muffler, as there is a turn out on the end of the cat, but the remainder of the exhaust must have rattled loose. I never considered the belt drive Buell, which is quiet and unobtrusive as a performance machine, although I was aware of its mechanical innovations and of the fact that it reputedly handles well. So, I suffered some real shock when the Buell hung in on standing starts, and also on rolls, to the ton. Also, while the Duke was just about done by the ton, what with its 112 mph top speed, the Buell was still accelerating nicely at the ton, and, clearly had additional top end left. I might add that staying under the ton in California is also a good idea, as things get very bad legally if one is cited, and then arrested, for over the ton. So, I do not feel handicapped by the 112 mph top end of the Duke.

Still, it just shows once again that perception is a very big part of motorcycling. And, here, at least, for me at least, the 690 Duke shines, as it has attitude all the way from its.lumpy 1700+ RPM idle to the 8000 RPM rev limiter. It may not be actually "Ready to Race", but, to an old drag racer, it feels almost as if it has a race engine, and, in this day of silky smooth, nanny infested, vehicles of all sorts, it is the attitude of the Duke, including its light weight, that is its greatest strength as far as I am concerned. Still, losing to an old Buell hurt, especially since the mug who owns and rides the Buell, loved beating me. And, the Buell owner was only riding his Buell, because my brother, for whom he brought the Buell to ride, proclaimed that there was no way that he could scrunch down and ride the Buell. So, my brother ended up on the Buell owner's 1290R, with its shortened gearing and loud exhaust, which my brother said was very comfortable, and just a little faster than the Velocettes that my brother owns. Suffice it to say the the 1290R was actually a blur, and, that, those that likened their 690 Duke to sort of a Hayabusa, were once again reminded of the fact that, good as it feels, the 690 Duke, is not actually all that fast as performance motorcycles go. But, the 690 Duke has tons of character, and, it always makes me grin, so, who need tons of mostly excessive power?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Me either. Great write-up on the pluses of the Duke 690, Tetge. I was wondering if you were taking about the real old 1000cc Buells from the early 80's.

I had the XB12R Firebolt, the bigger brother of one you mentioned. It fit me great for 85k miles. It is worth noting it had a larger engine, but rest of the dimensions were the same except for lower rev limit, more torque, and horsepower.

After the Firebolt, I got the liquid cooled Rotax powered 1125r. It was almost the same size, but the power was just too much to really enjoy. I got another Firebolt. Got rid of it a few years ago and was bikeless until I got the 690 in August. 4000 miles later, I enjoy it more than any of the Buells, I do wish it had a frame mounted mini fairing, lower bars, and rearsets.

Was talking to a guy outside the local KTM dealership about the great deals the had on the Duke 390 and RC390. I casually said "they would be great bikes, if your ego can handle it." The 690 is perfect for the size of my ego.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts