KTM Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I REALLY HOPE to be a regular member here once I find the bike I want - this looks like an amazing forum.

First question...I have an opportunity to buy this bike for $6,800 (Listed for $7k). It is basically stock except for bark busters, a skid plate, and Turbine Core 2.
It is very clean with 38.2 ours, and the top-end never opened. Well maintained and stored in a garage with a battery tender.

That being said, is this a good value? I feel it should be $6,500 but want to know what people here think. Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
You should jump all over that deal like a sailor on a drunken whore. A few hundred bucks isn't worth quibbling over for a bike like that. My opinion is your sellers asking price is very fair for a bike you have described. If he balks at your lower offer (he may accept it) dont feel bad offering a compromise or paying his full asking price. You will do well either way. Those are great bikes. You wont be disappointed. Once you ride it a few times you will agree. 300 KTM XC is best all around dirt bike anywhere PERIOD!!

·
Registered
2018 KTM 690 Duke; 2012 KTM 990 SMT
29 Posts
Humm, I'm pretty sure that model has the 4CS fork. Do some reading on that. Seems to be most hated fork ever made. :) I spent $1900 on mine (on a Husqvarna) to make it a so-so OK performing fork. Personally, I would skip the bike all together because of that.

But ... if you really want that year model bike, that seems like a good price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should jump all over that deal like a sailor on a drunken whore. A few hundred bucks isn't worth quibbling over for a bike like that. My opinion is your sellers asking price is very fair for a bike you have described. If he balks at your lower offer (he may accept it) dont feel bad offering a compromise or paying his full asking price. You will do well either way. Those are great bikes. You wont be disappointed. Once you ride it a few times you will agree. 300 KTM XC is best all around dirt bike anywhere PERIOD!!
Thank you for your input. Yes, it would be a shame to lose the bike over a $300 difference. I would be kicking myself for a month at losing the opportunity. Fingers crossed it's as clean as listed.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Humm, I'm pretty sure that model has the 4CS fork. Do some reading on that. Seems to be most hated fork ever made. :) I spent $1900 on mine (on a Husqvarna) to make it a so-so OK performing fork. Personally, I would skip the bike all together because of that.

But ... if you really want that year model bike, that seems like a good price.
Hey, appreciate your reply and feedback.
Yes, it has the 4CS fork and I have heard all the negativity. But at my skill level, I really don't think they are going to be awful enough for me to tell that they need a tad more compression, rebound or (whatever else) for the time being. I'm just going to ride and get re-acclimated with bikes.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey, appreciate your reply and feedback.
Yes, it has the 4CS fork and I have heard all the negativity. But at my skill level, I really don't think they are going to be awful enough for me to tell that they need a tad more compression, rebound or (whatever else) for the time being. I'm just going to ride and get re-acclimated with bikes.

Thanks again!
Well, my 4CS experience, in rocks they would deflect and send you flying off the trail ... or not. Very inconsistent on when you get knocked off the trail or not. So for an intermediate or even beginning rider, who needs that? If you will never ride in rocks or large roots then you'll be ok. But seems most places and trails have some rocks and roots.

When I got rid of that bike and got a 2018 250 XC-W with the Xplor fork, whew, I could finally ride a motorcycle again! :) So I'd recommend trying to find a nice XC-W vs the XC models with 4CS forks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my 4CS experience, in rocks they would deflect and send you flying off the trail ... or not. Very inconsistent on when you get knocked off the trail or not. So for an intermediate or even beginning rider, who needs that? If you will never ride in rocks or large roots then you'll be ok. But seems most places and trails have some rocks and roots.

When I got rid of that bike and got a 2018 250 XC-W with the Xplor fork, whew, I could finally ride a motorcycle again! :) So I'd recommend trying to find a nice XC-W vs the XC models with 4CS forks.
Well crap... now you got me researching valving solutions for this fork! 😳
Appreciate the feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Well crap... now you got me researching valving solutions for this fork! 😳
Appreciate the feedback.
Ride the bike! No two recreational riders share suspension settings for a reason. You may never have a complaint with the bike or you may hate it but always verify spring rates are correct set sag and try it and test thoroughly first. You need baseline settings before you can decide if settings are adequate or need tuning to your preference or how you like or dislike your bikes suspension. Dont be that guy that walks in to suspension shop with no clue what you need corrected. It amazes me that some good riders can ride the $hit out of a bike with stock suspension and others spend a small fortune on suspension upgrades and revalves and premium components only to continue to ride like a squid. I get so fed up with suspension snobs that preach the shortcomings of every bike on the planet but dont ride the same bike the same way over the same terrain as the bikes owner. You may find your stock bike perfect for your conditions and skill level. Give the bike a chance to show you its abilites. The suspension engineers and technicians that developed your premium suspension know a bit more than most of us and certainly wouldn't put non working suspension components or settings on your premium grade motorcycle. I suspect the same wouldn't be said for some self proclaimed "experts" .Too many riders blame suspension for their own lack of ability. Dont allow anyone's bias or opinions to make a decision for you. Every suspension shop will tell you they can make your bike work magically for you until they can't do it or you get lucky and their settings work for you. No settings are perfect for everyone in every condition. Always test first. If not satisfied determine what needs correcting by testing and making small adjustments and re testing. Once you have exhausted your adjustments without desired results you may find you need revalve or rework of your suspension.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Augie - well said.
Yes, I had always planned to get a baseline of info on both ends of the bike. My friend and I were talking about the same thing - no two riders are alike for the most part, and it may be that I have no issues for the open-type of riding I'll be doing. But if there are issues like leaky seals and other things, I wanted to see how common and what are some good options for fixes.

Really appreciate the feedback - I think I'm going to pull the trigger...

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Thanks, Augie - well said.
Yes, I had always planned to get a baseline of info on both ends of the bike. My friend and I were talking about the same thing - no two riders are alike for the most part, and it may be that I have no issues for the open-type of riding I'll be doing. But if there are issues like leaky seals and other things, I wanted to see how common and what are some good options for fixes.

Really appreciate the feedback - I think I'm going to pull the trigger...
Pictures and full report once its home in your garage. Best of luck my friend

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ride the bike! No two recreational riders share suspension settings for a reason. You may never have a complaint with the bike or you may hate it but always verify spring rates are correct set sag and try it and test thoroughly first. You need baseline settings before you can decide if settings are adequate or need tuning to your preference or how you like or dislike your bikes suspension. Dont be that guy that walks in to suspension shop with no clue what you need corrected. It amazes me that some good riders can ride the $hit out of a bike with stock suspension and others spend a small fortune on suspension upgrades and revalves and premium components only to continue to ride like a squid. I get so fed up with suspension snobs that preach the shortcomings of every bike on the planet but dont ride the same bike the same way over the same terrain as the bikes owner. You may find your stock bike perfect for your conditions and skill level. Give the bike a chance to show you its abilites. The suspension engineers and technicians that developed your premium suspension know a bit more than most of us and certainly wouldn't put non working suspension components or settings on your premium grade motorcycle. I suspect the same wouldn't be said for some self proclaimed "experts" .Too many riders blame suspension for their own lack of ability. Dont allow anyone's bias or opinions to make a decision for you. Every suspension shop will tell you they can make your bike work magically for you until they can't do it or you get lucky and their settings work for you. No settings are perfect for everyone in every condition. Always test first. If not satisfied determine what needs correcting by testing and making small adjustments and re testing. Once you have exhausted your adjustments without desired results you may find you need revalve or rework of your suspension.
Not sure if all that was directed at me or not ... I'll assume it was riders in general. If desired, I can provide more information/details on what I tried, how it worked or didn't, my suspension set up testing days, etc.

So you had a KTM with a 4CS fork and liked it? Stock? Or modified?

I rode mine stock at first, did all sort of low cost tuning (clickers, oil level, etc), then spent $600 on getting new springs and a revalve. That didn't really fix it, so then I spent $1300 having all the mx tech suspension fancy parts put in. Then spent many hours and days trying to get good settings with that setup. Got it to OK level.

Then bought the 2018 250 XC-W and the stock forks on that bike were WORLDS better than my 4CS + $1900 forks.

I guess the good news is theoretically now there are some lower priced fixes for the 4CS so if the OP buys it and gets tired of the front end deflecting all over the place, he will not have to spend $1900 or $1300, maybe more like $350 or so (springs would be more if needed).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey UsedT... no doubt you have the experience to know you weren't comfortable with the forks. There are a lot of variables in play, I think that was the overall message. I do think I may be fortunate down the road that if I find the forks terrible, enough time has passed that solutions are far less expensive (as you referenced).

·
Dirt Wizard
4,365 Posts
Ktm 300 exc was the best enduro bike on the dirt that I have ever owned. (I have owned heaps) Can't remember what forks I had on mine, it was a 2012, but it would ride over anything.
Only complaint I have is I wanted something to do 50/50 bitumen and dirt and it's not so good on the tarmac. Kicks a-se on the dirt though.

Reactions: FMontes
1 - 17 of 17 Posts