KTM Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy folks.

Managed to lose both of my keys and tracking down a simple replacement key by key code has been ridiculous in Colorado. First lost key was my own stupidity, down a drain pipe while washing it. Second one was on my key chain one day and not there the next. Absolutely no idea where that thing went.

I of course have my key code card provided when I bought it new and swiftly discovered the dealerships couldn't use it to cut a new key. Some don't even have a key machine. Others can only trace an existing key. Confirmed that information all over the place, dealers won't be able to help by key code. Ok, no big deal. Que the locksmiths!

...and they're absolutely no help at all. As soon as the word motorcycle or KTM comes out of my mouth, the instantaneous reply has been "We don't do motorcycle keys" or "Oh, I'm not sure about KTM keys". Just a complete swing and a miss. Most of them have almost zero knowledge about the brand. What does and does not have immobilizers. Some have attempted being helpful by referring me to someone else they think can help, but none of them can and they proceed to send me in the same circle of confusion.

So, being an inquisitive individual, I started doing my own research and information digging. I can confirm the key code card is NOT useless (nor should it be logically!). You can indeed get a key made simply by the key code card, but I have yet to find anyone in the US who can do so. Outside the US I found a couple locksmiths who can cut the key by code: in Australia ("https://ww.ostanlock.com.au/") as well as the UK ("https://ww.key2code.co.uk/#/"). The Aussie says the key code doesn't always work for him (hasn't elaborated why it won't always work and awaiting a reply as to why it won't) and the UK guy simply won't ship a key to the US. /facepalm

The keys and locks are made by Minda Silca, which is an Indian company. On their corporate website ("https://ww.mindasilca.in/catalogues.html") you can see a PDF file for 2016 Indian motorcycle products they sell and on Page 12 of the PDF is the "T7247 Duke" key that is used for the 16 Duke 390. My attempt to get the cut information for my key code from Minda Silca has gone unanswered.

The major issue preventing most places from cutting this key by code seems to be the hardware they're using. The only machine I have confirmed can cut this key by key code is a "Silca ProTech" model. The Silca brand of laser machine appears to be very uncommon in the US. <EDIT> Got some info from a locksmith that Ilco brand machines are owned by Minda Silca and are the exact same thing. Many US locksmiths probably have one of these machines.

I work for a car dealer and we have a Keyline/Bianchi 994 laser machine for our car keys. It actually has a listing for KTM motorcycles, but not my model. I tried putting in my key code, but it didn't recognize it. Currently working with their support team trying to determine whether this machine can cut the key. <EDIT> Their support team was not able to help with key code, but I am positive this machine can cut the key. I simply need the key shapes and depth to manually set the cut. More investigating to continue...

As a reference, 2016 RC and Duke (125, 200, 390 and 690) use the same key blank. OEM Part #90111067100, which is a laser style key and is cut from the side.

So, after all that... anyone know a spot in the US with a Silca laser machine? <EDIT> Or an Ilco?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I finally solved my issue. ww.sosdiagnostics.com in Oregon can definitely cut a key by code. Unfortunately it wouldn't be worth it when I can buy a used lock set with two keys for the same price. But even better, I finally found a KTM dealer in my state who knows what they're doing.

I contacted KTM of Aspen to see if they can cut a key by key code and it was an immediate yes. They can order a replacement key directly from KTM as long as you have your key code card. Huh, how funny. Just like it should be, but as usual it's all about finding the right person. I'm still awaiting a price before ordering one.

I probably should have simply tried every single KTM dealer in the state before delving into all the extra research. I was rather surprised by so much misinformation out there about something as simple as a key replacement. I'm glad I put it all down in writing though. The next person who searches the interwebs won't have to go through as much hassle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I got all excited for no reason. KTM of Aspen can get me a key directly from KTM, but it will take a month! Also of note, KTM wants the VIN of the motorcycle. Not the key code. I'm definitely not waiting a whole damn month just to get a key replacement. I already purchased a used lock set and I'll be back up and riding by next weekend.

So, yeah. Next time I'm down to one key, I'll just go get myself another spare and avoid all the hassle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hah

So... all my troubles getting the replacement key cut by code may have stemmed from the way the key code is written on the key code card. When I decoded my key cut for my new key from the used lock set I purchased (Keyline/Bianchi 994 key machine), it output the code as all numbers instead of with a starting letter as displayed on the key code card.

For example, if your 390 Duke key code card reads "T1234", the actual key code that needs to be input into the machine is "01234". Furthermore, the software only listed the lowest model in the Duke family. So it simply displays the option of "125" and doesn't even reference the Duke part at all. The key series is listed as "00001 - 30001", which will be that same OEM part number I listed in the original post.

I found some online pictures of this side cut laser key online with the attached key code and put them into my key machine and it came back positive for each one. If you're reading all this with the same issue, congratulations! You can now go out there and find somebody locally who can definitely cut your key for you. Don't let them rip you off for the key cut either. If anyone is trying to charge you more than $50 (in the USA) for the key cut, they're ripping you off badly. Frankly, $50 is being very generous and they'd be making a nice profit. The KTM dealerships quote the key blank anywhere from $10-$15 that I've seen, so the rest is profit on their part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hah

So... all my troubles getting the replacement key cut by code may have stemmed from the way the key code is written on the key code card. When I decoded my key cut for my new key from the used lock set I purchased (Keyline/Bianchi 994 key machine), it output the code as all numbers instead of with a starting letter as displayed on the key code card.

For example, if your 390 Duke key code card reads "T1234", the actual key code that needs to be input into the machine is "01234". Furthermore, the software only listed the lowest model in the Duke family. So it simply displays the option of "125" and doesn't even reference the Duke part at all. The key series is listed as "00001 - 30001", which will be that same OEM part number I listed in the original post.

I found some online pictures of this side cut laser key online with the attached key code and put them into my key machine and it came back positive for each one. If you're reading all this with the same issue, congratulations! You can now go out there and find somebody locally who can definitely cut your key for you. Don't let them rip you off for the key cut either. If anyone is trying to charge you more than $50 (in the USA) for the key cut, they're ripping you off badly. Frankly, $50 is being very generous and they'd be making a nice profit. The KTM dealerships quote the key blank anywhere from $10-$15 that I've seen, so the rest is profit on their part.
Would you be able to cut a key for me?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts