KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

While riding my bike I'm noticing the front feels very bouncy, and going round corners if I hit an off camber patch or a dip in the road the front feels like its washing out, which I can only put down to the forks being uncompressed leaving them no travel to extend with, this is a little scary at times! so I measured the sag of the bike, and when I sit on it the back moves fine maybe a little soft, but the front doesn't compress in the slightest, nothing has been done to them so they are as from factory and there are no adjusters on these as they aren't from the R model

bike has only done 5k

anyone had similar issues?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe the forks are slightly twisted- loosen the 4 pinch bolts on the bottom of the fork legs, apply the front brake and compress the forks a few times, this should centralise & straighten them. The pinch bolts should be torqued up to 15N/m.
Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I loosen off the axel bolt as well? I had to replace the front disk due to warping a few weeks back, maybe this is what caused it! is there a sequence for doing the front wheel tightening?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given it a try... heres what I did:

1. measured where the end of the axle was on the non Brake caliper side (RHS) of the forks, was flush with the fork leg.

2. loosened axle nut, loosened all pinch bolts.

3. tightened axel nut, then brake caliper side pinch bolts. (LHS)(both on same side of axle)

4. bounced the forks a few times with the brake on to settle the axle in the non tightened (RHS) side of the forks.

5. tightened the pinch bolts on the non brake caliper (RHS) of the forks.

Now there is about 1mm of axle sticking out of the RHS fork leg, so it would seem the forks were splayed outwards but only very slightly...sat back on the bike, no real difference in how the forks feel :(

I'd say the issue feels kinda like the forks are sticky/stiff, the spring rate seems nice as in with the brake on and forcing the forks down they feel good, but it's almost like the preload is too high or maybe the oil too thick? but as neither of these have been changed would point to it being badly set up at the factory?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gave it a try and completely changed the feel! can't believe something so fine can make such a difference, thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts