KTM Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states have been having problems with my E-Start on my 2016 Ktm 250 Xc-W.
**** Note- My bike has a 300 cylinder and a star's s3 high compression head, so compared to other 300's I have ridden it have notably higher compression, relative to the strength needed to kick it over, so it puts higher stress on my E-Start system.

So to begin with I went through my electric starter system and
-Replaced Bushings
-Shimmed the Crown Wheel
-Greased Everything
-Replaced Starter
- Put in a bigger Li-Ion Antigravity battery
All of this and it only started when warmed up, that's fine for me.
But it recently stopped working, even when warm, so I decided to go in there and replace bushings and check the shims and found all the bushings completely destroyed except for the one on the crown wheel. I also found my Bendix took a **** and partly fell apart, which sent some flavorful metal shavings throughout my E-Start system. So I replaced all my bushings, checked the play in the crown wheel, it was still shimmed correctly, and replaced the Bendix and greased everything, side note all of the gear teeth on the flywheel, starter and crown wheel were fine. Put it all back together and warmed the bike up, turned it off and tried to use the E-start and it slowly turned over but didn't start. So I checked my grounds and they were good, checked my battery and it was at 13.42 volts, and watched it when I was cranking it over with the E-start and it dropped to 11.3 volts while cranking, waited 5 seconds cranked again but this time it dropped to 9.8 volts.
I have a picture below- can put up a video if someone could explain how to.

My question is what would you diagnose it as,
Battery, starter, or something else?

Any input is appreciated!

·
Dirt tracker
3,442 Posts
Your voltage drop when cranking would indicate weak battery or defective starter. Either would cause your symptom. Be sure to use improved 2016-up bendix and crown gear. You would need to load test battery for proper testing. Sick battery can read normal voltage when charged and still not deliver enough amperage to crank that sucker. If you used an aftermarket starter you can expect it to be used as a restarter but not a reliable cold starter. It seems the aftermarket starters pull super high amperage and do not deliver good cranking ability. Some forum members here have found the high priced KTM original equipment starter solves this problem. Best to perform amperage draw test on starter and load test your battery first.

·
Super Moderator
2,628 Posts
Augie is probably right re battery, but check the wiring that serves the starter circuit including any connectors. A too thin wiring will limit the Amperage that is fed to the starter. Also check starter solenoid for issues. As you now have higher compression this needs more "grunt" to turn the motor over. How is your battery charging circuit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, tried to test it today, and first start Bendix gear broke off that connects to crown wheel. So got the Bendix warrantied and put a new one in and tested the battery and put a known good starter in, bike still didn't start when warm.

Tried tapping my kill switch while using the E-start and it started right up.

My question now is what is the fix for this, tried looking up some threads but couldn't find a solid answer.

Any input is appreciated!

·
Dirt tracker
3,442 Posts
Do you have factory or aftermarket starter?
I have observed my bike has this problem and others here on forum share similar complaint when using the aftermarket starter. One of our forum members claimed to resolve the issue by using the factory OEM starter. His testing indicated the high amperage draw of aftermarket starter was source of trouble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have factory or aftermarket starter?
I have observed my bike has this problem and others here on forum share similar complaint when using the aftermarket starter. One of our forum members claimed to resolve the issue by using the factory OEM starter. His testing indicated the high amperage draw of aftermarket starter was source of trouble.
I do have an aftermarket starter, was reading about the same thing, two possible diagnosis,
Loose or bad connection somewhere or an aftermarket starter
-so I cleaned and put some dialectic grease in all the starter connection areas, still need to tap the kill switch for it to start.

My thoughts are that I'm not going to sell my soul to Ktm for an oem starter, so I will ride this starter out till it dies, then I will hopefully get lucky with my next aftermarket starter.

Thanks augiedoggie and Axzon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts