KTM Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently bought an immaculate 2016 SD 1290 GT with heaps of extras and I love it. I did ride some R models prior to buying but I have a track bike so the GT was more akin to the road riding I do.
That being said, I don’t think I’ve had so many small issues on a bike in such a short space of time...

I’ve had the bike 4 months now and I bought it with 8000klms. It now has 13,500klms.
Within a few weeks of ownership the fork seals started leaking and the steering head bearings became extremely loose – fixed outside of warranty.
Then a month later, the ABS module failed – replaced under warranty.
Then the cornering lights failed – fixed under warranty.

And just today, my wife and I started holidays and loaded up the bike for a get away for a couple days.
We got all out gear on and selected 2 persons with luggage and...and...warning, warning, warning...damper error, damper error...
The electric suspension would not move.
We tried everything, battery disconnection, idle 10 mins, etc etc etc.
I quickly took it into the local dealer and he scanned the code and found that yeah...it’s not working. He cleared the code and it came back inside 5 mins, and this time – other warnings came up as well.

So, the dealer then tells me that, he is no longer a KTM dealer as of 2 weeks ago, so there might be an issue with a warranty repair...so I thank him very much for his help and go home trying to sort out the remainder of the holiday. We decide to cancel the holiday – the bike can’t be trusted at this point in time.
So I get the bike back home and call KTM Australia and they advise that the dealer is correct and that I NOW have to take the bike 300klms to the only repairer in the state ?!?!? To diagnose the fault and then potentially replace a plug in part ?

SO – I am at a loss here. I am wondering if anyone has come across this electronic suspension warning code before??? IF so, how did you diagnose it / fix it ??
KTM Aust are calling me back this afternoon, hoping to work something out. I cannot take the bike 600klms round trip with errors coming up like these.
I love this bike but I have had so many more, much more reliable bikes in my time...:{ Hopefully this can be sorted and get the bike into a "honeymoon period".
Si.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update* well if KTM Aust do what they say they are going too over the next two days, I will be extremely impressed and very grateful...
I will update members as things progress with my situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just reading about some similar suspension problems on the Super Adventures. Since I'm looking at buying a GT, I am curious to see how this pans out. I was hoping that the electronic suspension wouldn't have the same woes as on the SA, but it looks like it might. I hope KTM takes care of you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ktm head office have thus far -

Attempted to diagnose the issue by speaking directly to THE design team and they have sent potential smaller spare parts to a non KTM dealer closer me, they have packed up a suite of testing equipment and express freighted to the same, they are getting the same dealer all software licences tomorrow and are fast tracking their dealer code ID's for the current non Ktm dealer to help diagnose and resolve my warranty issue.

They have also checked local inventory of all possible outcomes to ensure no delay on larger parts that might be required, they have arranged the non ktm dealer business to squeeze my bike into a busy schedule once the dealer is fully set up with the test gear (2 dAys is the estimation) AND Ktm head office called me back when they said they were going too!!!!!!

Despite the minor issue with the bike, I am ferkin impressed!!!! In fact, if it continues, a letter to the local bike rag might be in order - customer backup service is bloody hard to find in this day and age.

Although generally I'm not brand specific, having owned over 50+ motorcycles in my time, It's service like this, that makes long term customers out of short term buyers.
Si.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm impressed. They are behaving like a business! Seems to be a rare thing... Best of luck getting it all sorted. I hope to never be in your situation, but glad to hear KTM is taking care of their customers in case I am.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow. That is some damn impressive customer service. I have never heard of a company going such great lengths before. Good on them for trying to resolve this issue as fast as possible

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is definitely impressive thus far. I hope the customer service continues. Mechanical beasts are going to have issues here and there. How those issues are handled is what makes or breaks a company to me...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Minor update. The bike shop doing the work on behalf of KTM called today and advised that they had spoken with a tech and in order to faster a repair, they are overnighting a full Elec rear shock and associated parts and will replace in one day so I don't have to have multiple visits and can get on my way. It has messed up my holidays a little but yeah - couldn't see Honda / yam doing this...hoping airfreight lands tomorrow so can get sorted tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, a further update - apparently the nitrogen shocks are no longer allowed to fly so can't be express posted, this is going to add a week to getting everything sorted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I had been awY for a week on AL and bike shop called with Ktm - new electric shock fitted, re calibrated suspension, 15k service complete 1k in advance whilst in shop, remapped for akro pipe, new tyres put on (I supplied) all for $450 and well - thank you Ktm and motoworks. Short 100klm blast today and all working great!!!! Now, where is the fuken map!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,054 Posts
So, I had been awY for a week on AL and bike shop called with Ktm - new electric shock fitted, re calibrated suspension, 15k service complete 1k in advance whilst in shop, remapped for akro pipe, new tyres put on (I supplied) all for $450 and well - thank you Ktm and motoworks. Short 100klm blast today and all working great!!!! Now, where is the fuken map!!!!
Fantastic news - good to see Customer Service is alive and well. The "recalibrated suspension" comment has caught my eye as I don't like the lack of rebound on the Comfort setting on my GT. What did you have them adjust and how did they do it please? This has me a bit excited .... I know - small things amuse small minds!!:grin2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The rebound and compression base line settings - outside of those on the bike of comfort, street and sport can apparently be manipulated by a dealer only, BUT - the way it was explained to me, you up the rebound on comfort in Katos tuning computer, you inadvertently up the others as well - but it can done.

·
Super Moderator
1,054 Posts
The rebound and compression base line settings - outside of those on the bike of comfort, street and sport can apparently be manipulated by a dealer only, BUT - the way it was explained to me, you up the rebound on comfort in Katos tuning computer, you inadvertently up the others as well - but it can done.
Thanks SD - much appreciated. This gives me a direction to follow.

I saw in another post that MotorWorks Hobart did your work. Another good news story about them. As mentioned in another part of the forum they did a great job with a mates Benelli even though they are not dealers. Given my level of dealer disatisfaction here in Canberra I am more than a bit jealous.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, blow me down with a fuggen feather...
Just received a phone call from the bike shop that did the kato work (3 weeks ago) - asking if all was well, any questions or issues with the bike...I honestly thought cust service was dead. Nice work motoworks in Hobart!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts