KTM Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still had the original battery in my SDR and was suspicious it was starting to get tired. I had yet to try a lithium battery in any bike yet, and was wanting to give it a shot. So I bought a "battery tender" brand LiFePo4 battery. I immediately had some problems after installing it. Difficult starting on cold mornings, which I expected. But what I didn't expect was not being able to turn off traction control. I would attempt to hold down the set button, but it would just kick me out of the menu over and over. Sometimes it would work, but more often it wouldn't. And most annoyingly, the lights are constantly flickering, which you don't notice in the day time, but at night ALL the lights are constantly flickering, including the dash backlight and it is extremely annoying.

Has anyone else had these problem? Is this just a battery brand issue? I know there is a computer chip in the battery that can effect things, and I'm hoping it is either just a brand issue, or possibly a defective battery. If there is a different brand of LiFePo4 battery that people have had good experiences with, I'd prefer to go that route.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
AbnormalWrench~ Although recommending a battery brand is like having a conversation on which oil to choose (everyone has an opinion), I will say that I've used Shorai currently (in my '15 SDR) and in the past with zero issues. As for your light problem, I haven't come across that but if it just started after you switched, it may due to the new battery.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground or internal battery short. Lithium batteries have some drawbacks-they are sensitive to charge rate an can be weak in cold weather. I'm not sure the weight savings is worth the expense and hassle. Not familiar with that brand (or any other, really since I've avoided purchasing one).

·
Registered
394 Posts
So your battery also acts as a load to help smooth out voltage spikes and fluctuations. Any spikes get absorbed by the battery. i’m guessing the new Lithium isn’t doing so well in this regards And these voltage fluctuations could be causing the flicker.

Now it was my impression the above was more related to older charging systems, think up to the late 1990’s and early 2000’s. If this is indeed the case, I have no experience of 2014 KTM’s, then it *might indicate y our regulator is starting to fail.

I wouldn’t assume a jump straight to the conclusion of the regulator though, unless your prior battery was pretty new and failed mysteriously and earlier than expected. I would be inclined to suspect the battery, but throwing parts at the problem is a very expensive solution. If it’ s really bad I might be inclined to return the battery, if possible, and try either a new lead-acid, or roll the dice with a different manufacturer lithium.

Rob

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AbnormalWrench~ Although recommending a battery brand is like having a conversation on which oil to choose (everyone has an opinion), I will say that I've used Shorai currently (in my '15 SDR) and in the past with zero issues. As for your light problem, I haven't come across that but if it just started after you switched, it may due to the new battery.
The light issue and the TCS issue are both definitely the battery. I put the lead acid battery back in and both problems went away.

I don't care about which lithium battery is the best, I just want to know which lithium batteries don't have such glaring problems. Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I’ve used Shorai and now Anti-Gravity in my ZX-10R. The Shorai cranked faster, but doesn't have a build-in BMS.

·
Registered
2018 Superduke 1290 R
19 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issues.
I've used them exclusively for the several years without issue in several different bikes (VTR1000/Blackbird/WR450F/SV650/Speed Triple/SD990).
My SD990 had it for 4.5 years. Have used Li-ion and LiFePo4 / Shorai and SSB.
However the climate here in Brisbane during Winter is generally only 10C at night and is rarely below 5C.
Currently using a SSB LiFePo4 in my '18 SD1290R and its running great albeit its only 2 months old.

Reactions: leavittjim

·
Registered
5 Posts
I still had the original battery in my SDR and was suspicious it was starting to get tired. I had yet to try a lithium battery in any bike yet, and was wanting to give it a shot. So I bought a "battery tender" brand LiFePo4 battery. I immediately had some problems after installing it. Difficult starting on cold mornings, which I expected. But what I didn't expect was not being able to turn off traction control. I would attempt to hold down the set button, but it would just kick me out of the menu over and over. Sometimes it would work, but more often it wouldn't. And most annoyingly, the lights are constantly flickering, which you don't notice in the day time, but at night ALL the lights are constantly flickering, including the dash backlight and it is extremely annoying.

Has anyone else had these problem? Is this just a battery brand issue? I know there is a computer chip in the battery that can effect things, and I'm hoping it is either just a brand issue, or possibly a defective battery. If there is a different brand of LiFePo4 battery that people have had good experiences with, I'd prefer to go that route.

Thanks!
Remember when the temperature outside drops you have to wake a lithium battery. I had this issue and though I had a bad battery. Hit the starter button four of five times and the battery will come alive and start the bike.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I have used Earth X lithium on my BMW K1200R (7 years) and on my Super Duke GT (2 years ) o issues !
I also installed a Earth X lithium battery on my 2019 SDGT, two years ago, and I have had zero problems. Since the Earth X battery costs $250 USD because of all of the built in safety features, I assume trying to save money and buying a cheaper lithium battery could be an issue. In addition, you cannot use a standard Battery Tender on lithium batteries, you have to but the Battery Tender that specifies it is for lithium batteries. Also I have read threads where riders have had the lithium battery catch fire, which I attribute to a faulty installation. Since lithium batteries are smaller, the Earth X battery includes several pieces of foam to wedge/hold the battery in place, which leads me to believe the cause of the fire was a loose battery that grounded out against the frame?

·
Registered
233 Posts
lithium battery will last longer that the usually 2 or 3 years.
I gave away a Shorai in 2012 (2011 battery) and it's apparently still going well in a 675 Daytona race bike. Even so, I'd still never touch another lithium.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Is that still the case, if the battery is plugged into a battery tender?
Yes it’s still the case. In fact lithium chargers disconnect once the battery reaches a threshold voltage, by design. So they spend most of their time not actually charging at all when on a lithium tender.

The only time the lithium cell should get warm is under heavy load or when significantly discharged and recharging at high C rates.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts