KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High there, apologies as I searched but couldn't find an answer to two questions.
1. I am looking at a 2016 super duke r but it has 53000 km's (about 30k miles) is anyone aware of bikes with similar mileage and are they more trouble than they are worth? It has a good service history.
2. They started the bike up and said that it is pretty common for a super duke r to smell like it is running rich with an akrapovic exhaust. It smoked a little when they started it and it wasn't run for long.

I love the sound of it but don't want to buy myself a whole bag of trouble.

Can anyone enlighten or answer on the above questions at all?

·
Registered
364 Posts
30k miles isn't much. A good service history works in your favour as a buyer. If you're still worried, have a shop do a good once-over prior to purchase. Have a look at the service intervals and associated jobs at that mileage. You can expect things like wheel bearings and headstock bearings to need inspection or replacement which don't come up with normal maintenance.

PS : Definitely have the suspension serviced, perhaps as part of the first scheduled maintenance after purchase. That's an argument you could use to talk the price down a little bit.

I don't know about the rich Akra thing though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree that the mileage isn't high. Mine is currently near 128,000km and I've had little trouble with mine. Still uses no oil between changes etc.
Is the Akra exhaust full or just a slip-on?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It's not uncommon for bikes that have been sitting th smoke a bit at start up but it should dissipate after several seconds. Let it run to warmup temp. My 2016 is nearing 30,000 miles and the engine is like new. like menso says, probably time for new fork seals.

·
Super Moderator
1,229 Posts
Yeah. My 2017 SDGT has 60,000km, so same range as yours. Mine has been serviced by the book .. every 15000km .. and has mostly highway mileage, without a hitch ... ever. Service history is the key here. Big kms, highway work and regular service less of an issue than low kms with poor service history imo. Investigate the service history. This is not KTM advice, it applies to all bikes. Does the service history happen to include tyre purchases? might help form a picture of how the bike has been ridden.

They are a pretty tough unit though. Not too many stories of breakage when service parameters have been maintained.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 17 sdr with a pipe, k&n and the akra map. I think it is rich. It makes so much more power when the air temp is 50-70 degrees and the air is dense. It does 3rd gear power wheelies when it's cool outside. Not when it's warmer. Never tuned or dynoed so just a guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts