KTM Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New bike to me, and there is about 60 degrees of rotation of the crank sprocket back and forth. Feels like a super loose chain, but it is not the chain but something in the drivetrain. Are all 500s like this? Any ideas on what is loose or is this normal? Here is a youtube link in case video below does not work. BTW bike is in gear.

Preview attachment VID_20210213_102656218.mp4

VID_20210213_102656218.mp4
19 MB

·
Dirt tracker
3,761 Posts
Not sure I'm worried yet. There is normally a slight amount of movement between both transmission shafts due to the configuration of gears and engagement dogs. The drive tab has to be smaller than its engagement slot to allow it to catch and engage a rotating gear. It couldn't possibly do that if the space available didn't have room for it. Imagine having to stop bike to change gears. You make a good observation but I suspect your condition is normal. Have a look at transmission gears in a cross sectional drawing of your transmission to illustrate my theory. Probably nothing to worry about. The driveline sees its backlash in normal rotation and gear backlash on decel still has engine rotation keeping gears tightly engaged. Even when bike decelerates the driveline is tight when engine is running. The decel under braking is cushioned by engine rotation. Have a look at other bike if possible to confirm my theory.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah that's good info, but it is not about the chain. I would really like someone with a 500 to chime in to see if their sprocket has the same amount of play as this one.
Well I have a 2015 Husky 501 and it does the same thing, always has, I’ve also had plenty of other KTM’s and Japanese dirt bike, that act in the same manner if you put it in gear and rock it back and forth.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Well I have a 2015 Husky 501 and it does the same thing, always has, I’ve also had plenty of other KTM’s and Japanese dirt bike, that act in the same manner if you put it in gear and rock it back and forth.
Yep. So does our 150sx and all other 2 stroke KTM's we have had before that one. But I was sure that in a low gear it did it less...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts