KTM Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

The adaptive suspension on the SDGT is not exactly set the way I'd like it. I'm 180lbs out of shower and 200 or so geared. I have the panniers mounted, but empty, and am running "street" dampening with load set at one rider only. I may try going to rider and panniers, but didn't because they are currently empty.

Anyhow, it seems bouncy as is. I'm afraid if I add load the rebound will be less dampened still. In street mode or comfort mode it is so soft and all over the place the bike feels unsafe to ride.

Question: anyone have experience getting into these forks and adjusting oil weight? Any weight recommendations? I found a thread that seemed to indicate basically taking off the whole front headlight assembly was necessary.

I suppose at this point it wouldn't hurt to change bushings and seals either. Might be overkill.

If there's a thread or sticky on this subject, I can't find it. All help is appreciated!

·
Registered
555 Posts
The software update is great. It completely changed the damping rates for the better. That said, the suspension oil is very light. I would be concerned that the electronic adjusters might not do as well. These do not operate like normal forks. Also, I do not know of anyone that has had their rear shock rebuilt or recharged. I don't even know if it is possible to rebuild the rear shock. There's nothing in the shop manual for servicing the rear shock and there are no part numbers for replacement seals! Let me know if you find anything out about the rear shock.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I made a tool to undo the fork cap. i removed the folks, drained the oil, cleaned the internals. measured the removed oil, and refilled same volume, but put 10W in instead of the 5W. One leg does from memory Comp (left) and spring/spring preload, other leg does rebound. The rebound leg has a sealed unit inside, and controlled electronically, so the oil only coated the stauntion for lubrication and under compression it would pressurised an air cavity. The Comp run the oil through i guess adjustable valving and a shim stack. I did mine at 30,000kms, and the oil was actually very clean. Was it better??, i guess it was slightly. A heavier guy may benefit from a heavier weight oil.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
How many miles have you done and on what model SDGT?

My 17GT suspension was a little harsh when new and tight, but settled down after 10,000kms/6k miles... but the single biggest improvement was the upgrade to the 2019 software....... now comfort is comfortable but nicely controlled (so no bouncy lack of feel scary in corners effect) and street is perfect, and best of all sport is more compliant but still sporty instead of bone jarring harsh (y).

If you have a gen 2GT, (2019-2020 model with the LED main headlight) then you already have this, so maybe you have the spring wound up too hard for your weight. Best to only use solo rider, or solo + lgge if carrying a light load. I am 85kg (approx 180Lbs) ready to ride and use solo spring with any of the damping settings (Comfort/street/sport) and my suspension is beautifully controlled, comfortable yet capable (and my dealer mechanic says the fork oil is good to 40k kms / 25k miles before needing an oil change).

When I load up my side cases with about 25kg / 50-60Lbs of luggage i still only use solo + lgge spring unless I want very sporty handling, for which I use 2 riders spring.

Also, these are light bikes so running hard tyre pressures may be adding to the feeling of harshness - try using 34-35psi front and 36-38 rear........ the book is clearly wrong stating 36 & 42 for solo unloaded as well as fully loaded with passenger. Maybe ok for unlimited speed European Autostrada's, but awful for real world speed limited lumpy roads.....

(y)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm about 20 lbs heavier than you, and keep my suspension set at "two riders", which I much prefer over "single rider only" or "one rider with gear".

You might try similarly changing your settings, versus fiddling with fork oil. Besides, it's really easy, and only takes a minute.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Excellent discussion team. I have a 2019 GT and very happy. I'm around 130 kg so had the dealer dial in 4 mm more height into the Rear during 15000 km service. This helps make "solo" good for me rather than having to add Luggage just to get things balanced. I found Comfort Damping a bit too soft and now run in Street (unless skanking it with the boys) but with tyre pressures dropped 2-3 psi. Now excellent for our pretty crappy Aussie B-roads... which is where the fun is. I'd also recommend running in Sport Ride Mode as this is a great balance of Throttle sensitivity. Get ut there and enjoy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Likewise, it took my 2017 GT about 8k miles to really settle in, both engine and suspension. The 2019 software update was incredible in how much better it made the bike. @Gobi1 mentions something that my dealer (the only one in San Francisco USA) was not aware of which is the preload setting that needs to be done at the dealer with the KTM diagnostic computer attached. I had them dial in -2 (I assume 0 is the factory default) on the preload and though I haven’t done measurements, it helped quite a bit. This was done before the 2019 suspension software update. Annoying that they wouldn’t help you set up preload before riding the bike out of the dealership upon sale... FWIW, I weight about 145#.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
The software update is great. It completely changed the damping rates for the better. That said, the suspension oil is very light. I would be concerned that the electronic adjusters might not do as well. These do not operate like normal forks. Also, I do not know of anyone that has had their rear shock rebuilt or recharged. I don't even know if it is possible to rebuild the rear shock. There's nothing in the shop manual for servicing the rear shock and there are no part numbers for replacement seals! Let me know if you find anything out about the rear shock.
There was a comment last week about a guy whose rear shock failed after only 150 miles on a brand new bike. Apparently KTM attempted to have the dealer rebuild the existing shock, until the customer threw a fit and insisted on having a brand new shock installed.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
How many miles have you done and on what model SDGT?

My 17GT suspension was a little harsh when new and tight, but settled down after 10,000kms/6k miles... but the single biggest improvement was the upgrade to the 2019 software....... now comfort is comfortable but nicely controlled (so no bouncy lack of feel scary in corners effect) and street is perfect, and best of all sport is more compliant but still sporty instead of bone jarring harsh (y).

If you have a gen 2GT, (2019-2020 model with the LED main headlight) then you already have this, so maybe you have the spring wound up too hard for your weight. Best to only use solo rider, or solo + lgge if carrying a light load. I am 85kg (approx 180Lbs) ready to ride and use solo spring with any of the damping settings (Comfort/street/sport) and my suspension is beautifully controlled, comfortable yet capable (and my dealer mechanic says the fork oil is good to 40k kms / 25k miles before needing an oil change).

When I load up my side cases with about 25kg / 50-60Lbs of luggage i still only use solo + lgge spring unless I want very sporty handling, for which I use 2 riders spring.

Also, these are light bikes so running hard tyre pressures may be adding to the feeling of harshness - try using 34-35psi front and 36-38 rear........ the book is clearly wrong stating 36 & 42 for solo unloaded as well as fully loaded with passenger. Maybe ok for unlimited speed European Autostrada's, but awful for real world speed limited lumpy roads.....

(y)
When my bike was new and the Angel GT's were inflated to 36/42 according to the TPMS, and the ride was down right scary; this was partially caused by the TPMS deviation at altitude where I live, which meant the tires were actually inflated to 38.5/44.5. Since then I started running 34/40 actual on the Angel GT and Metzeler's, and 36/37 on the current Michelin Road 5's. While I did not care for the stock Angel GT's, the Metzeler and Michelin Road 5's have been great and running the correct tire pressure means everything. Notice the difference in the rear tire pressure on the Mcihelin Road 5's; someone on the forum said this was due to the sidewall construction on this particular tire.

·
Registered
555 Posts
There was a comment last week about a guy whose rear shock failed after only 150 miles on a brand new bike. Apparently KTM attempted to have the dealer rebuild the existing shock, until the customer threw a fit and insisted on having a brand new shock installed.
😲Really?! That sounds promising. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Errrr, it's a very rare event, given the number of SDGT's sold around the world (u kno, outside Merica ;))....... it's possible any high tech dynamic shockie could have a problem, but so too can any ordinary gas damper shockie.

The OP is more likely to be talking about gen 1 suspension software which did have poor rebound damping control, though he hasn't come back yet to confirm which model GT he owns. It's so simple to upgrade to gen 2 software as the suspension hardware remained identical for 2016-2020 models.

Some dealerships don't seem to be able to download and install updates correctly, so it's also possible for software to become corrupted or confused and in need of a re-load.

It'll be interesting to read what the OP has discovered/done to resolve his issue.

(y)

Reactions: BruinKTMguy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Bike is a 2017, so first gen I suppose. It has just about 16 k miles. I've put about the last thousand on it. First owner was about 240lbs. He was meticulous with service at the dealerhsip, so the software upgrade might have been done. I'll have to check.

Having noted the comment about the excessive tire pressure specs, it did occur to me that I noticed things to be especially overactive after topping up the pressures.Btw, I'm 180 out of shower and 200 or so geared.

Yesterday I dropped pressures to 34/40 and bumped up to 2 people with luggage. I then dropped to 2 people and set dampening to street vs sport. So far that seems ok, but it wasn't a very spirited ride, so the jury is still out.

I'll look at getting that software upgrade soon and keep tinkering, before I rush to fork oil change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, and I appreciate all the input.

The biggest concern I've had has been excessive rebounding (inadequate dampening) on any setting. My intuition led me to think that increasing the load setting would make the situation worse. But I do think stiffening it up has helped. The biggest improvement to rebound dampening thus far has probably been lowering the tire pressure, though.

The fast rebound leads me to believe software was not upgraded yet. However, I have only the present state of the bike as a baseline, so it's possible it is already improved. I still suspect it has not been. :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Mate, the difference is night and day!...... we all did the same with our gen1's, compensating for poor rebound damping by stiffening up the spring rate and using sport damping for a :censored:hard ride :ROFLMAO:......but as soon as the factory offered the 19 software as a free upgrade we jumped on it because we were sick of bouncing over bumps, or pogoing on comfort settings...... the difference is profound.

Maybe the prev owner was heavy enough to make sport damping and a firmer spring work well......

My 17Gt has 19k miles up (it's being serviced today..... :unsure: wonder how much that'll empty the wallet with 2x R5 tyres) but it has had Ohlins quality feel ever since I had the software upgraded (9k miles ago) - I had to demand it as the service desk manager had not been told of it at the time and didn't know what I was talking about, so it could be your bikes prev owner had never heard of it, or his dealership service guys also didn't know it was available.

(y)

Reactions: BruinKTMguy

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dave! You finally got you bike in for service?! That took forever. However, I wouldn't say the bike had quite the level as Ohlins. It isn't quite that high but it can do things a standard Ohlins can't. That's part of why we love the bike. +1 on the update too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts