KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I there.

So I've been touting this bike for over a year with having zero issues.

Well, today I have one: I'm pushing the ignition button and nothing happens.

The battery is fully charged.

I changed the fob battery just in case that was the issue, no change.

I don't get it. Luckily I'm in my garage and not stranded somewhere remote. but the bike worked perfectly until this, I used it 3 days ago with no issues. it's scary because I like to take trips on this bike. if this had happened in the middle of nowhere I'd be ****ed.

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
didn't do the WD40 trick, but something interesting did happen.

since nothing happened when pushing the button, no blinking TFT light indicating some sort of fault or anything, I thought this must be a power issue, and so I checked out the fuse box for the power fuse (#1) as I though it might have fried. it was intact, but once I put it back in, then the bike decided to go back to working perfectly.

So I'm not sure what could have cause this type of issue. It definitely feels like the bike reset itself after cutting off power by removing the fuse.

I haven't performed any software updates since buying the bike in April last year, and I'm not planning to do so, so I'm hoping it's not related to that.

·
Registered
2019 SAS
6 Posts
DGJ: I've had this happen twice now - once it actually was the battery (I have a 2019 - and I ran the battery down over time by only taking it on very short rides over a period of like 6 months - and letting it sit for very long periods of time without riding). The other time, I managed to get the bike started by taking out my Fob - and holding it against the inside fairing to the left of the steering head. I see a lot of posts of riders having this issue - so, I guess it's a bad design on these Models/Years.

BTW: what is "the WD40 trick"?

SMD

·
Registered
140 Posts
I recently went of a trip to Tasmania and my dash failed to light up and bike wouldn't start on no fewer than 8 times in 8 days....the last time I had to get Roadside Assistance to come onto the Ferry once we had docked in Melbourne and transport my bike to my Dealer 30 kms away.
While in Tasmania I called into a KTM Dealer to see if they could help and all he could do was change the battery on my 3 month old bike (from new)....that was even after they spoke directly with KTM Australia....the bike worked fine for 3 days......and then the problem returned.
According to the Melbourne Dealer and KTM Australia on my return, I was at fault...........they said that I was holding the initializing button, that fires up the dash, down for too long.......the Owners Manual states....."briefly press the button".
I now very briefly (quickly) press the button and as a result the bike fires up every time..........I still think that it may not have been entirely my fault, as I never thought I held the button down too long ....I thought I simply pressed it......but I guess the solution so far is pointing to me

·
Registered
2019 SAS
6 Posts
I think I agree with oldfella - I seems that the ignition button is too damn smart for its own good - and you can jack up the sequence (instructions to the firmware that the bike processes each time it starts) by confusing it with a longer button hold time than is needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts