KTM Forums banner

2018 250 EXCF runs lean

12K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  JimTid 
#1 ·
Purchased recently from a dealership with 800 miles on it. There is no record of service in the KTM computer. I changed the oil and filter. I rode around flat Florida a bit and it ran fine. Last week I rode in North Carolina 3000-4000 feet MSL and experience some shut offs in the woods on downhill off throttle sections. It restarted when I pushed the start button. It acted fuel starved on long uphill grade asphalt at wide open throttle in fifth and sixth gears. I'm thinking this is caused by running lean from the factory.
KTM service manager said they don't change the map at first service so no need to bring it to the dealer.
Dealer suggested:
FMF Q4 slip on ($405)
Remove air intake baffle reed
Vortex ECU ($1000)
I'm not in favor of juicing up the 250. If I wanted more power I would have bought the 350.
Dealer says do not change muffler or remove baffle reed without changing the ECU because it will run even leaner.
I need to resolve the shut offs.
I welcome suggestions.

#3 ·
I added a Vortex ECU and a Graves exhaust can with DB killer installed. Runs better but need to do more field testing before I can offer a good performance report. I also installed Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) handguards, comfort low Seat Concepts seat and a Rekluse clutch.

#4 ·
I've had a chance to ride it a few times with the mods. It's sorted nicely now. I do have some popping on deceleration, mostly when warming up. I have not changed to default setting on the Vortex ECU. I would like to learn from others before I do that.

#6 ·
I adjusted the red knob to lower the RPM at idle. The bike idled good but ran terrible when more than half throttle was applied. I had no idea that adjusting the idle screw would affect throttle on performance. I thought it was fuel starved. I cleaned all filters and used fresh gas. I also adjusted the VORTEX ECU, testing all dial positions. I thought I would have to take it to the shop. I watched you tube and read what was available. I learned that this bike was supposed to idle high (appx 2200 RPM) so the oil pump would supply sufficient pressure at idle. Once I turned the idle back up with the red knob it ran fine throughout the throttle range.

#7 ·
Oct 2023 my 2018 250 EXCF broke down after day 2 of the smokey mountain 500. It acted fuel starved and was not rideable. Replaced fuel pump assembly and fuel filters. Runs better than ever now. Taco moto has a good youtube video that explains the flaws with the OEM fuel pump. There are several after market replacements available. Taco Moto video explains all this. The bike only has 2000 miles on it.