KTM Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help ! I have a 2018 85 , it went from running fine to no spark , no start by getting washed and put away . After some checking I replaced the coil and plug cap , got spark again but it still won’t start . I got 150lbs compression, checked and cleaned carb , inspected reeds , everything seems normal other than it won’t kick start . It’ll bump start with the throttle wide open after being pushed a little bit and runs ok but not right . It has some hesitation on the bottom end and won’t really idle too good . I’m thinking the cdi box but with no way to test it it’s a gamble . Bike only has 47 hrs on it so I’m baffled ! Seems too new to start having electrical problems! Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated , I can’t be the first one to have this happen , or maybe I am ?

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you post this in "2 strokes" you will have a much better chance to get help!

However...

A few suggestions:
  • Did you put a rag in the air inlet when you washed the bike??? Is it still there???
  • Try a new spark plug
  • Issue with head gasket
  • Take out reeds and make sure they are OK and nothing stuck in there
  • Power valve not working properly
Come back if none of these help and we dig deeper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out after much double checking everything the ring was stuck in the piston from carbon build up . Took a cylinder leak test to find it since it built 150 lbs compression.

·
Registered
573 Posts
When we did ride 85sx bikes we fitted new ring at 15 hours and a new piston at 30 hours. We did big end rebuild at 80 hours. When we stayed with this schedule we had no issues in this area. When we tried to get some more hours out from a practice bike we would get issues. Partly also as we would fully clean, inspect and adjust power valve when cylinder was off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
Axzon
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing