KTM Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Full Throttle
5,703 Posts
Just curious, any of you guys out there with with 690’s: Can you put the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear and roll it, without the rear tire just skidding along, with the engine turned off? If I could get confirmation of this, it would confirm my hypothesis that either the auto decompression mechanism is not working or, the valves have been shimmed with too much clearance (keeping the auto decomp from working).
the auto decomp is just a little bump in the exhaust cams lobe. so piston coming up , cam turning , and the bump opens the exhaust just a little, then piston past TDC. If motor doesnt fire in that compression cycle then its same set up on the next cycle.
pushing bike in gear is no good , better training is to fight the sales guy with a takedown.It needs to be fixed asap as extra stress on the starting parts which you should mention.

Have an email ready in your sent box with all details if the ktm guy asks to send it.

·
Full Throttle
5,703 Posts
I suppose one way to check the auto decompression would be to do a compression test on the bike and look at the factory specs.
not showing anything, the auto decomp needs to sharply return back to its position of having the bump out. yours is not returning to start position , something to do with the way the spring is supposed to snap it back into its starting position, or the thing is jammed open and radomly releases. needs to be checked thoroughly.

·
Full Throttle
5,703 Posts
the spring doesnt hold it in its starting position while motor is spinning at starting ,the decomp is kind of jammed so the cam bump is raised to open the valves. Only the weighted centrifugal force enables the ato decomp to sit in its running position.
Then as the motor stops the weight spins the decomp forward to its starting position, the spring holds it in starting position at a non spinning motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks cors187 for all your comments and info.

I have read other forum comments on similar issues mentioning that you could hear the little auto decomp arm chatter or click into place when the engine was winding down into the gray area between enough and not enough revs to keep it swung out. I am going to have to try listening for this. I don't recall hearing anything like this.

I am currently trying to contact KTM North America customer service again before tackling the dealership. Trying to contact KTM customer service is like kicking yourself in the ***, I am really disappointed with the service and follow through.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Id be starting with the basics if it we’re mine. Check over all your earths and make sure their tight with no paint under them. Most things turn out to be something simple. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Id be starting with the basics if it we’re mine. Check over all your earths and make sure their tight with no paint under them. Most things turn out to be something simple. Good luck!
+1 on going over the grounds (earths? lol).

Pinched wire sitting the wrong way or paint residue will cause all sorts or electrical gremlins especially if linked to anything starter related. I'd start with the main ground off your fuse box and make 100% sure it's contacting metal. Take your seat off and check the wires coming off your starter in hopes of the same.

A bad ground can also cause a draw on your battery and reading that it died at some point would possibly explain this. I get not wanting to mess with it under warranty so be careful when taking things apart and not over torquing anything but may save you another trip to the dealer.

Keep us updated on finding a new dealer as that one you're dealing with sounds like a bunch of muppets and how you make out with the fix.

Also - is the problem intermittent or consistant? Like it starts and rides fine but then dies while you're riding? Or just doesn't start at all?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I signed the papers on my 18 Duke 690 on a Saturday, but couldn't pick it up until Tuesday afternoon because they had to do a recall dealing with the auto decompression. I am unsure what was done and haven't found reference to it online, mainly because I haven't looked, just going on what they told me. In the 3 months and 4300 miles I have had the bike, I may have had 2 times of bike acting like you have described.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I signed the papers on my 18 Duke 690 on a Saturday, but couldn't pick it up until Tuesday afternoon because they had to do a recall dealing with the auto decompression. I am unsure what was done and haven't found reference to it online, mainly because I haven't looked, just going on what they told me. In the 3 months and 4300 miles I have had the bike, I may have had 2 times of bike acting like you have described.
Now that, is really useful information. Thanks for that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd get online and complain to the KTM USA customer support people. Never had a problem like that but I did once with my VW and and VW USA bent over backwards to fix the issue afterwards.

·
Registered
46 Posts
But you said it just goes “click... click”. There will be little to no compression on a motor that is already at top dead center. Compression bleeds off fairly quickly. Even then, if it is the compression release, you would hear the starter struggling to turn it over slowly. This sounds much more like a starter solenoid issue.

If you want to move the piston off of compression, it’s easier to roll the bike backward in gear instead of trying to push through it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been having a starting issue with a new 2018 Duke 690 since the first week of ownership. The dealership and KTM customer service have been unable to sort it out after 6 months, in which time, I have towed it down to the dealership several times. I have little choice at this point but to try and sort it out myself. The problem is that it does not turn over every time when you press the starter switch. Even with it warmed up, it is hit or miss......Click.......Click.......Click...... several times and then maybe it decides to turn over. On my 3rd ride, I couldn't get it to turn over at all and it left me stranded. First thing that came to mind is the battery, so I took it down to the dealership and asked them for a new one. After waiting around for over 8 hours while they "analyzed" it, they came to the conclusion that the battery was okay and they would not warranty it. In addition they could find no other problems. I put my foot down and had them get me a new battery anyway (which took over 9 weeks because they were jacking me around). There is a lot more to this story, but suffice it to say that new batteries are not fixing the problem. I went as far as to purchase a high-end LiPo with almost twice the cranking amps as the stock battery and that failed to fix the issue. Likewise, I have checked and there is no abnormal parasitic drainage on the battery. Neither can I find any apparent poor connections. I have had 2 service managers at the dealership tell me; "Well it's new and tight, so it might not turn over on the first hit". This kind of made sense at first...whopping single cylinder bike...high compression....new and tight, engine probably stops at a high compression point, etc. However, after putting 300 miles on it (that's all I have gotten on it in 6 months, which is just plain sad) with no decrease in symptoms, I am thinking that this theory is complete bullshit. Either KTM has the worst engineering group on the face of the planet and KTM's don't measure up to the hype, or there is an issue. Incidentally, this is about the 20th bike I've owned and I have never had one that starts like this, which makes it very hard to believe this is how it should be. KTM's ludicrous excuse for North American phone-in customer service was no help and likewise, the dealership service experience has sucked. I am hoping there is someone out there who can give me the straight facts; 1. Do KTM Duke 690's really start this poorly, particularly when new?, 2. Does anyone have an idea on what the problem could be? I think batteries and bad starter switches can be excluded from consideration. When it does turn over, it cranks at a good rate and starts right up.
This may not apply. My 690 R has been having a start issue but it was a starter clutch bearing. It’s been going on for 6 months and the shop just called and said they finally have the part due to supplier change. It turns over then whines, then turns over, then wines. Is this close to you issue?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts