KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a 2018 Superduke 1290R which had the "performance pack" already on it when I purchased it.

A couple of days ago I collected my bike back from our local KTM dealer who has installed the "track pack".

The dealership had my bike for a few days because for some reason they could not unlock the track pack,
they had to get KTM UK to remotely connect to my bike so that the track pack could be installed.

The reason for these problems I was told was the shift light
it needs to be "not set up" for the track pack to be unlocked,
well I have my shift lights set you to around 7500 rpm for max torque and the next one at the red line.

Anyway to my problem, I cannot get my Superduke to wheelie, the front wheel basically never leaves the ground.

I am in the "track mode"
Anti-wheelie turned off
Throttle set to "track"
Slip set to 3.

A big handful of throttle in 2nd gear and the front wheel still never lifts, it accelerates like a rocket but the front makes no effort to raise up

At our local bike meet last night I spoke to 2 SDR owners with the track pack installed and they both said that in 1st & 2nd and the odd time in 3rd the front wheel comes up easily.
We chatted about the settings and other than on owner turns off his MTC, I have the bike on the same settings as they do.

I look forward to your input.

Reagrds
1290r jockey

·
Registered
2018 Super Duke 1290R
92 Posts
How much do you weigh I am 6'4 and 240lbs It wont just pop up a long wheelie
in 2nd gear I have to hit it at the right rpm. I would assume that the people who
say all you have to do is hit the throttle in 2nd or 3rd and it will wheelie for as
long as you want are under 180lbs.
I am fitting an Austin Racing High Slung Exhaust and flashing the Open Flash
Tablet Stage 2 tune today maybe that will get me the wheelies at will that others
have?

·
Super Moderator
950 Posts
Sounds like you're fighting traction control. Soon as the computers sense the front wheel is spinning slower than the rear its game over for wheelies. You'll feel the front lift for a split second then just skim across the pavement.

There are a few ways to over ride the KTM TC - on a 690 anyways but would assume same on a 1290:

1) Clutch-up. You're still fighting the computer but the front should lift no problem in 1st or 2nd gear. With the power you guys have i can only assume 3rd gear as well. I can get the front to almost 12:00 but you're throttling the entire time and does not feel natural like on a dirt bike or other platform without TC

2) Trackpack. Depending where you live this has been discontinued and not available for some of the KTM platforms. Your dealer will have more info on whether or not this is something they can unlock for you - for a fee of course.

3) Disclaimer not responsible for voided insurance or damage to your bike - unhook front ABS sensor and run parallel to the rear. Not ideal but it works. Personally my favorite mod to the bike ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not the same as 690. Trackpack only unavailable for 690, and op states he has it. Sounds to me like there is a software issue. Anti wheelie certainly works on my 17, and is disabled through track mode and then one has to be more careful with the throttle, it will come up fast.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
We don’t read about these problems with the gen 1 bikes, gotta be the software, and seriously because of where our weight is on the bike I would think a bigger guy pulling the bars bac while accelerating would still bring it up tho‘ I don’t want to lap a sandbag and test my theory

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's absolutely a software problem unless, and no offense intended whatsoever, you're doing it all wrong. I'm 6'1 and 230 with gear (someone made mention of size maybe as an issue) and I can pop wheelies and ride them until it's time to go home for supper. In track mode with the wheelie control off, you should, with technique, be able to power or clutch up 1,2, and 3rd gear easily. I've even gotten it up in 4th with the clutch and a little English applied to the bars, etc. I have a feeling your dealer isn't doing what they need to be doing to unlock it. For what it's worth, however, I can easily wheelie in the 1st 3 gears power/clutch in street and sport modes with the MTC off. I'm no badass by any means and don't wish to imply that for a moment. I'm just saying these bikes are meant to be, or at least built so that it's absurdly easy to be ridden like this, and if they can't be done so, something is either wrong with the bike, or it's operator error.

·
Registered
2018 Super Duke 1290R
92 Posts
How are you finding Open Flash? Looks like a lot of money for a flash tuner - that and the Brentune flasher. Does it let you reset adaptives as well?
I don't know yet fitting the Austin Racing exhaust has been a royal pin in the A** the mid pipe is such
a tight fit. I have had to play with washer stacks to get it so it just has a slight clearance in spots
the tolerances are very tight and if the angle of your stock headers are a little off it becomes a
real pain.
I live in California so I can not get the Akra tune no dealer will do it in my state. I went with the
Open Flash Tablet over the Bren for several reasons.

(1) you get 4 Tunes Akra, OFT stage 1, OFT Stage 2 and OFT Stage 3.
(2) The tunes are not locked you get the .xdf files for the tunes so you
can do things like change the throttle Maps you can get a true 1 to 1
throttle if you want.
(3) If you sell the bike you can load the Stock ECU file back onto the bike
then you can use the tablet for your new Bike.

Both Open Flash and Bren will allow you to reset error codes and data
logging so its more than just a flash.

I will do a review once I get a chance to use the tablet I should be able to
load the Tune in a few hours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
H there,

thanks for all the replies.

I weigh around 12stones, don't know what that is in pounds.

If I am doing 35 mph in 2nd gear and pin the throttle, I hang on for dear life and it tries to rip my arms from their sockets but no noticeable front wheel lift.

I have watched YouTube videos and people just wind the power in and up comes the front.

I think I will have to go back to my local KTM dealer who unlocked the track mode for them to have a ride and tell me what they think, is it me of the bike ?

Any more input would be appreciated.

ride safe

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mine's the poverty pack (although I got the QS for free), and in sport mode, it lifts, not by much, but definitely lifts. The other day I opened up third all the way from 4k and it lifted almost immediately. Mental machine. I weight about 83kg (death to all imperialists!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there,

Yes I have tried it with and without the MTC on an it still makes no difference.

Had a chat with "Bruce Wayne" from YouTube, he posted a short video yesterday on a SDR ride along a mountain road.
Within the first 5 seconds of the video his front wheel has already come up, I asked him if he clutched it up or was it the power / torque as he was not going very fast at the time, he said it was off the throttle.

Something not right with my bike,
an employee at my local KTM dealership said I really need to clutch it up as the SDR is a front heavy bike, that's not what I see on YouTube.

Any more thoughts ?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi there,

Yes I have tried it with and without the MTC on an it still makes no difference.

Had a chat with "Bruce Wayne" from YouTube, he posted a short video yesterday on a SDR ride along a mountain road.
Within the first 5 seconds of the video his front wheel has already come up, I asked him if he clutched it up or was it the power / torque as he was not going very fast at the time, he said it was off the throttle.

Something not right with my bike,
an employee at my local KTM dealership said I really need to clutch it up as the SDR is a front heavy bike, that's not what I see on YouTube.

Any more thoughts ?
KTM techs are seemingly high school kids trained on small engine repair from what I've seen. That guy's response was ridiculous. These bikes are hard NOT to wheelie with the settings where they need to be.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 19GT. All the optional software is installed. I can turn everything off, and it still doesn't want to lift.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts