KTM Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
The SDR accelerates a bit more ferociously with MTC off, this seems to help with wheelies. Add sport mode to that (I don't have / know about track) and if you sit back in the seat an inch or two, it has a huge effect on balance. I just did a trackday. One particular uphill lefthander ends up in a flat before it goes downhill again. Had no trouble at all lifting the front as the hill evened out. Admittedly there were throttle openings that you don't see on the road without risking it all. But I hear you. I am totally green when it comes to wheelies and the bike just did this on it's own. After a lap or two I went easy on the bars on the corner exit (which really means sitting up a bit and shifting weight to the middle / back of the seat and up it came.

Wheelies are fickle. Some people it seems to come naturally to. Others (like me) only ever slowly, carefully tippy-toe my way into garnering this skill. It's the kind of skill that takes commitment to pull off... and I am usually too worried about ending up in a ditch or a tap on the shoulders from our brothers in blue to give it a proper go.

Edit : I found dragging knees a much, much easier skill to pick up, and that takes commitment and is not exactly risk free either.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
H there,

thanks for all the replies.

I weigh around 12stones, don't know what that is in pounds.

If I am doing 35 mph in 2nd gear and pin the throttle, I hang on for dear life and it tries to rip my arms from their sockets but no noticeable front wheel lift.

I have watched YouTube videos and people just wind the power in and up comes the front.

I think I will have to go back to my local KTM dealer who unlocked the track mode for them to have a ride and tell me what they think, is it me of the bike ?

Any more input would be appreciated.

ride safe
isn't a stone = 14 lbs.?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I have a 2019 SDGT and in sport mode with MTC on, if you get a little frisky coming off the line, it will lift the front wheel about 6", before the computer kicks in!

·
Registered
5 Posts
At 5k rpm in second, very rapidly close the throttle and over rotate your wrist in that Same direction and when you snap the throttle back open, you’ll essentially be giving it more beans than you normally would. Your elbow should come out to the side more than usual. So push the wrist further round than the throttle goes, snap the throttle generously open with the extra twist this gives you. See what happens. There are two reasons a SDR won’t pop up: not enough throttle after the front forks have compressed, or MTC doing it's job too well. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Clearly a difference in gen 1 and gen 2 electronics as with mtc on and ride mode in sport mine will still come up some.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the same problem. I had bought my 2018 SDR with all the packs you can get. The dealer told me that if you want the bike to wheelie you need to go in track mode and turn off anti-wheelie. But even then you really need to wack the throttle.

But I found out that when I stay in "Street" mode and just turn off traction control the bike goes like a house on fire! It lifts in second and third without any jerking with the throttle. Just keep it open and it reaches for the sky. Most of the time I let traction control on as I like a bit of assistance when exiting corners and giving it the beans...

Reactions: GaryCulb

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine is at the dealer now. The bike was misbehaving some with regards to the clutch. Wouldn't go into neutral when the bike was running, zero play on the release of the clutch lever, mild lurching when starting the bike w the clutch in and gear, etc... Turns out the clutch needed a massive bleed. Is it possible that the clutch may have been interfering with the front end coming up? Maybe the bike sensing something wasn't right and then was interfering when I was trying to loft the front end? I'm not entirely sure what exactly the slave cylinder does, so just spitballing some ideas. The tech took it out after doing most of the requested work (including the clutch bleed), and said that the front end will in fact come up now. Although he didn't do a before test...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I dont ever wheelie (except dirtbikes), passing 2 cars today was a little tight so I gave it the beans (much more than usual)....front came up in 3rd in sport - dont know how far or how long as happened pretty fast and I was focused on oncoming car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi there,

thanks for all the different types of info
speaking to some people YouTube who have posted videos, again some people say the front end comes you easily with no trouble at all and others say you really have the whack the throttle open to get a result.
Still no wiser to be honest,
will try and get out today on our local business park (quiet roads) to do a bit of "testing".
As I say, I don't want to wheelie forever I just thought if I came off an island and and opened her up the front wheel would come up as well with all the torque & power.
I had an Yamaha MT-09 / MT-10 beforehand and in their must focused power mode, mode A I think, the front wheel would raise up just off the power alone, may be not too high on the MT-09 but more than I am getting with the SDR.
Depending on the weather here in the UK this week I will have a ride to my local KTM dealer who unlocked the Track Pack for their experienced tech staff to take my bike out and "test" it, just to see if it is really the bike or its just me, either way it would just be nice to know.
On their web site of the above dealer, they have for sale an identical bike to mine with the Track Pack unlocked as well, so when I get around to taking mine up there for them to test I will ask if I can have a "test ride" on their bike to see if there is any difference to mine.
Again, any more information will be appreciated,
Ride Safe

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Mine is at the dealer now. The bike was misbehaving some with regards to the clutch. Wouldn't go into neutral when the bike was running, zero play on the release of the clutch lever, mild lurching when starting the bike w the clutch in and gear, etc... Turns out the clutch needed a massive bleed. Is it possible that the clutch may have been interfering with the front end coming up? Maybe the bike sensing something wasn't right and then was interfering when I was trying to loft the front end? I'm not entirely sure what exactly the slave cylinder does, so just spitballing some ideas. The tech took it out after doing most of the requested work (including the clutch bleed), and said that the front end will in fact come up now. Although he didn't do a before test...
I dont ever wheelie (except dirtbikes), passing 2 cars today was a little tight so I gave it the beans (much more than usual)....front came up in 3rd in sport - dont know how far or how long as happened pretty fast and I was focused on oncoming car.
Yes! Everything happens rather quickly with this bike! When I am getting on it, I find I have to just ride by feel, as I really don't have time to look down, until I let off the gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi there,

well the front wheel did come up !
It's not what I thought though,
I got to around 4,000 rpm in 2nd gear and gave in a handful in track mode, throttle response in track and anti-wheelie off and yes it does come up but it's so brutal, not smooth at all.
Yes, if I used the clutch to get the front wheel up, which I have never done, I would have thought it would be smoother but in some YouTube videos eg. "Bruce Wayne" video, all he does is wind the throttle on in 2nd gear and up comes the front all nice and smooth, I emailed him and he said no clutch was used just the throttle.
The way I was doing it, it was more of an explosion !
I was under the impression that with 177bhp and all that torque when I exited a roundabout in 2nd gear and wound it up the front wheel would start to lift just from the torque alone.
I look forward to any comments, good or bad !

Ride Safe

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
There's so much power there guys like us need to practice throttle inputs. I decided to keep mine in sport with mtc ON and practice power wheelies just to get used to not releasing the throttle as soon as it comes up. 2nd gear power wheelies are brutal and fast and i'm hoping if I can get used to it coming up I can start feathering the throttle to ride them out with mtc off. Much less stressful on a mx that you can just step off and let roll into the shrub if it goes over.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great vid. I'm not trying to do wheelies (save that for the dirt bikes), but makes sense as to why I only get the front up when I'm pissed off (and hammer it)!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there,

well the front wheel did come up !
It's not what I thought though,
I got to around 4,000 rpm in 2nd gear and gave in a handful in track mode, throttle response in track and anti-wheelie off and yes it does come up but it's so brutal, not smooth at all.
Yes, if I used the clutch to get the front wheel up, which I have never done, I would have thought it would be smoother but in some YouTube videos eg. "Bruce Wayne" video, all he does is wind the throttle on in 2nd gear and up comes the front all nice and smooth, I emailed him and he said no clutch was used just the throttle.
The way I was doing it, it was more of an explosion !
I was under the impression that with 177bhp and all that torque when I exited a roundabout in 2nd gear and wound it up the front wheel would start to lift just from the torque alone.
I look forward to any comments, good or bad !

Ride Safe
What did you ever conclude or find out? I have a 2019 SDR with the track pack installed and I have EXACTLY the same issues as you do. I would have thought after watching these YouTube videos that doing a power wheelie is easy as pie? Not! It will come up in first and second but you really have to hammer it and it’s nowhere near like the videos show. Ive played with ALL the settings everyone talks about on this forum and I’ve gotten nowhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
What did you ever conclude or find out? I have a 2019 SDR with the track pack installed and I have EXACTLY the same issues as you do. I would have thought after watching these YouTube videos that doing a power wheelie is easy as pie? Not! It will come up in first and second but you really have to hammer it and it’s nowhere near like the videos show. Ive played with ALL the settings everyone talks about on this forum and I’ve gotten nowhere. Any help would be much appreciated.
Hi there,

No, I never did get anywhere with the wheelies.

It could be me but I never had anything like the result that I have seen in the YouTube videos, mine was so brutal and not smooth at all, so I just gave up in the end !

I waisted about £280 ish on getting the Track Pack unlocked so I could have a bit of one wheeled fun but to no avail.

Hope that you have more luck than I did, stay safe & ride safe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, it has to be about the sitting position and length of arms, the curve of the back or something but my 2014 was the front wheel up in the air about every time I was a bit careless, even accelerating with 4th gear and yes, a fast shift into 5th gear and throttle open would have the front jump off the road. From 5th to 6th htere would be just a little entertaining headshake but not much more. The 6th is sort of an overdrive. The thing was with that bike I had to concentrate in having my weight aggressively on the front wheel always while riding, especially tight curves - and the bars were in the front position and turned as far front as possible. Yes, I seem to have long arms. 183 cm height, 105 kgs weight with gear. Some quasimodo-style spinal curve. I always felt it has full power only at 4th gear up - I think the lowest 3 gears might not be full power. Thought it jumps well with 3rd so it is almost as good as 4th. But 1st and 2nd are just waste of time...:rolleyes:

But, I would suggest to get the bike dynoed so you will have some proof how it speaks. And yes, with service provider who has dynoed similar SDR's so they know what to expect from a healthy one.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
2016 GT- Turn off the MTC, crank the throtttle as you let out the clutch and HOLD ON! 17/38 gearing. Looking forward to see how much easier wheelies get with the 40T rear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think mine was one of the videos in question, but I had a gen 1 and now a gen 2 with full akra system and it's literally the easiest bike ever made to lift the front. 1st will loop from a stand still with almost no throttle, 2nd needs a tiny fraction of a turn to lift at 2500/3k rpm and 3rd comes up easily from 4500/5k. 4th will lift with a good twist higher up the rpm and 5th will pick up off a crest/rise in the road. I changed my Gen 1 to -1 front and ended up swapping back as I hated it because the gearing was too short and aggressive for wheelies. The Gen 2 has the track pack which gives you the sharper throttle response that is otherwise missing, the others are very dulled down.
I do think you need to want it to lift sometimes and its better with a sharp quick input than a slow one.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts