KTM Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to inspect/replace my idler gear before anything happens. I’ve read that some 2019s might actually have the correct 6001 gear. To see this all I have to do is remove the clutch cover (not the case) correct?

if I do have the 6000 gear and need to replace it...is there a step by step write up for the procedure? Are any special tools needed?
What I have gathered is that I need to remove the right side case, remove the clutch hub assembly, the primary drive gear, and then the idler gear. Is there anything I need to pay specific attention to when removing/installing these components? (Gear positions, timing, etc).
The only parts I will need to order are: right side case gasket, idler gear, idler gear retaining clip. Correct?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
807 Posts
Are you talking about the oil pump gear? Some 350's (EXC / XC / SX) came with different compound of plastic which made it prone to failure causing massive engine failure? I've got this on my radar too if we are talking the same gear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that’s the one. Not sure what the deal is, if the different plastic compound is going to fail and it’s only a matter of time or what. But that’s what it seems like to me. But still, there has to be some of the poor quality gears out there that haven’t failed, it’s not like you hear a ton of stories about 2016-2019 grenaded motors. Still it’s enough to make me want to swap mine. I pulled my right side cover off and noticed I have the bad quality gear. What really blows my mind is that ktm knows about the issue, has put out a superseded part, but still won’t foot the cost of the gear replacement especially when a bike owner has confirmed the bad gear.

·
Super Moderator
807 Posts
Yeah that’s the one. Not sure what the deal is, if the different plastic compound is going to fail and it’s only a matter of time or what. But that’s what it seems like to me. But still, there has to be some of the poor quality gears out there that haven’t failed, it’s not like you hear a ton of stories about 2016-2019 grenaded motors. Still it’s enough to make me want to swap mine. I pulled my right side cover off and noticed I have the bad quality gear. What really blows my mind is that ktm knows about the issue, has put out a superseded part, but still won’t foot the cost of the gear replacement especially when a bike owner has confirmed the bad gear.
Ok perfect so we are on the same page then.

This is a tough one for me as YOU talk to your local dealer and they say they've never had a bike come in with motor failure stemming from this gear. I talk to my dealer and all the dealers around the province and they haven't seen a failure of this type either. Now a guy - one out of thousands who've bought KTM 350's, decides to go on the forum to disclose their issue and a 2nd guy pipes up that same thing happened to him so now there are (2) failures of this nature and everyone is in a panic as to why KTM haven't rectified the issue. Is this a known problem now or just coincidence??? /rant.

Now back to "I don't care it's a piece of mind thing" - which is where most of us are sitting. I'm at 40 hours on my 350 and do a lot of solo riding in the bush which is why I would like to address this piece of plastic terd. Thinking about getting the shop to do it same time as they check my valve clearances in the spring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I hear ya. I bought the new gear and will install it this weekend. Seems like a relatively painless and inexpensive process. I would rather just have the peace of mind. there has to be some other contributing factors. The gear is obviously cheaply made and when I noticed how flexible mine was it was enough to convince me to replace it. But again how many 2016-2019 250s and 350s have been sold and how many actual occurrences of this failure are there. A very tiny fraction it seems. So what is everyone else doing differently that has the “soft” gear with 100s of hours than the few people who’ve had failures.

·
Super Moderator
807 Posts
I bought the new gear and will install it this weekend. Seems like a relatively painless and inexpensive process.
After you're done would you mind giving us a quick "Cole's Notes" on what is required?

79238006100 is the NEW part we should be ordering, correct?

I'm pretty sure you are ok with using a rag to bind up the gears if you don't have the $60 special ktm tool because an impact will get it off but definitely do not want to impact it back on!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep I’ll be sure to document the whole process. I will be Using a rag and I don’t have an impact so I’ll be breaking it with a 1/2” drive breaker bar with an extension. Hopefully not too much of a pain

·
Super Moderator
807 Posts
+1

Shop told me $450 for the labour. Would really like to cross this off for piece of mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts