KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone with this bike disappointed with the windscreen ?
I am hoping someone is working on making one thats a few inches taller and wider. I know the 790 s screen is taller, i dont think its available yet.
If anyone has found a bigger windscreen that works great, can you please share.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure how helpful this is but I have the S model and the windscreen is really good on it's highest setting (there are 2 settings). I can't say for sure if the S model screen is available for purchase but I know they are "plug and play" compatible with each other. I would say if you can find the S model screen give it a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The stock screen on the "S" has been OK for me but adding the MRA X-Creen Sport has made it even better. I'm totally happy with it now!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I installed the S windscreen on the R right out of the gate. While not the most stable windscreen mounting design, it works and gives me the height I need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"Is anyone with this bike disappointed with the windscreen ?"

Disappointed? I'll say. I'm 5'7" tall and have the standard model. My head gets tossed around like a bobble head doll in a car being driven by a drunk. I stood on my pegs at 75 mph and it was sooo much quieter and pleasant. I'm actually considering just removing the windscreen all together. I also wondering if adding one of those small extension things that Puig make to the top would help. I'm interested in a solution, that's for sure.

karmicgumbo

·
Registered
77 Posts
In the for what its worth comments... the standard model wind screen is a little weak, and not very adjustable, but adequate. I am 6' and use a Schuberth helmet and do not have any significant issues. If you need a little more deflection. there are many after market clip ons that can help. In the past I have used a clip on when cruising at 80 and take it off when I hit off road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are quite a few offerings in the pipeline. Looks like Puig has a new screen released.

Codger Biker on YouTube has a series of videos comparing the R, S and Puig screens.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are quite a few offerings in the pipeline. Looks like Puig has a new screen released.
Codger Biker on YouTube has a series of videos comparing the R, S and Puig screens.
I've watched several videos from Codger Biker as well. He's a pretty entertaining guy and offers some helpful information. Having watched as well, you know that he discovered it's the way the windscreens are mounted, and not the windscreens themselves, that result in the "floppiness". As I've mentioned before, adding the MRA X-Creen Sport to my standard windscreen gave me the result I was looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've watched several videos from Codger Biker as well. He's a pretty entertaining guy and offers some helpful information. Having watched as well, you know that he discovered it's the way the windscreens are mounted, and not the windscreens themselves, that result in the "floppiness". As I've mentioned before, adding the MRA X-Creen Sport to my standard windscreen gave me the result I was looking for.
Camel Adv Products has developed a windscreen brace for the Honda Africa Twin. Wondering if someone will do the same for the 790.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have watched all of Codgers 790 vids. I like him!
I want to buy the Puig touring screen in smoke without the deflector piece.
The part # is 3587h. Where can we buy them in the USA ?
Does anyone here stock these yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have watched all of Codgers 790 vids. I like him!
I want to buy the Puig touring screen in smoke without the deflector piece.
The part # is 3587h. Where can we buy them in the USA ?
Does anyone here stock these yet?
Quick search for Puig USA yields the following https://puigusa.com/en/bybike/ktm_790-adventure_2019

I would contact them directly to see who would have it or when.

Under similar circumstances, had to order a Puig screen from the UK for a Ducati, as it was unavailable at USA dealers for months.

Would have gotten from Revzilla as they are very close to me. Give them a call and see if they know when it might be available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello I recently got a 2018 1290 sa R I ordered the windscreen for the S model which is higher than the really low tinted R. The S model works fine for fair weather, but during rain and in colder weather I'm looking into either a way to add to it or getting another which is higher and wider.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm 5'7" in old money and quite happy with my Ermax sport screen - blends nicely into the bike lines and no turbulence. The only downside was a bit of reflected glare from the headlight onto the inside of the screen. It gets a bit obtrusive on a long ride in the dark. I masked the screen and sprayed it matte black and it's fine now.

Cheers,

Geoff

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called Revzilla (in the USA) today and inquired about the Puig. They dont even have them listed in their inventory yet. The salesguy said it would prob be mid Sept before they ever saw one, if they even got one of the light smoke ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I called Revzilla (in the USA) today and inquired about the Puig. They dont even have them listed in their inventory yet. The salesguy said it would prob be mid Sept before they ever saw one, if they even got one of the light smoke ones.
Figures. This is the exact same situation I faced a couple of years ago with the Ducati Multistrada. Had to purchase from Europe and pay for shipping. Was very happy with the result but it was a gamble.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On one of the forums, possibly Codger Biker on you tube, someone said they bought a custom windscreen support for a Honda made by ATD or ADT or something close to that. I cant find it now. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed the S windscreen on the R right out of the gate. While not the most stable windscreen mounting design, it works and gives me the height I need.
How did you acquire the S Screen for the R?? Did the dealer simply order it for you? How much was it??

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just installed my Rade’s Garage (R/G) windscreen. Although it looks great and allows for mounting a GPS in a perfect position above the TFT, the buffeting is worse than the R screen in low setting. The S windscreen in the high setting is best for me regarding buffeting and the R screen in the high setting was the worst. I wish KTM would have allowed more room to mount a GPS in plane with the TFT with the R and S screens. I like that I can stand and still see the entire TFT below the GPS with my R/G windscreen, maybe if I cut 6-9 inches off the top I can get free air at helmet level. No windscreen or the R in low setting was comfortable at high speeds for me, but the S set high is even better.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts