KTM Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
So far nobody has developed a good looking screen for the 790 that actually blocks the wind without any buffeting. On a long trip with lots of highway speeds, functional beats good looking. The 790 S screen worked very well on my R, but would slap me in the face off-road. The Rade’s Garage screen looks good, plenty of room to mount electronic, blocks airflow at chest level, but has high speed buffeting at helmet level.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Who cares about looks?
I guess some people do.

For me, I would like a screen that looks good but to me, an enduro or 790 bike is a utility and therefore need not look very nice. I can live with an ugly screen the same way I can live with ugly flip flops.
I'd like a nice screen/flip flop pair but I won't sacrifice utility if it doesn't look nice.

Also, I am 188 cm with a big head - I would prefer to be shielded from the wind haha

·
Registered
278 Posts
R/G update. I took off the 2 lower wind deflectors under the headlight and it significantly cleaned up the air at head level. Doesn’t make sense, but it works. There is still some buffeting, but I estimate removing the deflectors cut the buffeting at least by half. And I like the look without the lower deflectors. I haven’t rode in rain yet, but hear without the lower deflectors rain will hit your lap, so they may go back on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Is anyone with this bike disappointed with the windscreen ?"

Disappointed? I'll say. I'm 5'7" tall and have the standard model. My head gets tossed around like a bobble head doll in a car being driven by a drunk. I stood on my pegs at 75 mph and it was sooo much quieter and pleasant. I'm actually considering just removing the windscreen all together. I also wondering if adding one of those small extension things that Puig make to the top would help. I'm interested in a solution, that's for sure.

karmicgumbo
I have the exact same issue on the S at your height. I was getting tossed around so much, I felt like throwing up. What did you end up doing to solve it?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Disappointed? I'll say. I'm 5'7" tall and have the standard model. My head gets tossed around like a bobble head doll in a car being driven by a drunk. I stood on my pegs at 75 mph and it was sooo much quieter and pleasant. I'm actually considering just removing the windscreen all together. I also wondering if adding one of those small extension things that Puig make to the top would help. I'm interested in a solution, that's for sure.

karmicgumbo
I agree. I have an "S", and I love the bike except for the wind protection. I have owned many bikes, and this is the worst. I have a KLR, a V Strom, and until recently a 2018 Africa Twin A/S. All are much better than the 790. I am 6'1" and have tried the screen in both positions. I believe the problem is more than just the screen, but the bodywork also. The crazy buffeting behind the screen makes the bike miserable to ride at highway speeds. The wind gets driven up from below the helmet, and even with earplugs in, it's incredibly noisy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Update:

I purchased the Givi Airflow 7710 For my 2019 KTM Adventure 790S. Install was very straight forward. My assessment of this product is in two parts:

1. The base screen. The Givi unit has a base component screen that is installed in place of the stock KTM windshield. While the mounting plate that acts as the main base for this whole contraption is pretty rigid, the more you mount on it the more movement you are gonna get. So the base screen is pretty sporty on the bike and doesn’t really do anything other than correct the horrendous design flaw of leaving no room to install a GPS on the GPS mount (not enough room).

2. The Airflow 7710 (also available in a “D” model which has a ”Smoke” tint). The Airflow screen mounts to the Givi base screen. It can be adjusted a lot. On the highway, it eliminated ALL BUFFETING of my head. And though the KTM is whisper quiet on the highway, I was disappointed with the high pitch whistling the Airflow screen creates. These sounds can be eliminated by making slight adjustments to the Airflow screen to a higher or lower position - which made me happy. NOTE If you are a in-city commuter and drive around on crappy city roads like in San Francisco (where I live) then you do not want to use the Airflow mounted on the daily. It flops around and is distracting. But it is so easy to install on the fly you can toss it on whenever.

I highly recommend the Givi Airflow 7710. It does exactly what it should do. Major props to TwistedThrottle.com for taking care of me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dis anyone try the Rade Garage screen with a clip on/windscreen deflector(extender)?maybe that works against the buffeting? I’m Considering to buy one but it could be helpful if someone that owns one could try this? :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I’m not sure how the Rade screen would hold up with an extension clipped on top. Others have cut 6-9 inches off to get smooth air. Mine has survived 124 mph speeds, off-road bumps and minor branches/bushes, but it is flimsy. I took off my 790’s bottom winglets, as I mentioned before, which made it better, but still some buffeting at highway speeds. If I sit as high as possible, it is even better (about the same as my R screen in the low setting). Maybe I need the straight seat, but I barely reach the ground now and the stock seat is comfortable. If I would have seen the device that is now available to mount the stock screen at a slight angle to fit a GPS in line with the TFT (or known that the Rade screen sucks compared to what they advertised regarding wind protection), I wouldn’t have bought the Rade screen. When my Rade screen breaks, I will put my stock R back with the angle device.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In that case i keep the S screen with a clip-on. Maybe i’ll look for that part to tilt the S screen. Or the R screen if i don’t need to go on the freeway. Oh boy i love this bike so much but if i join my friends with a africa twin or Tiger i can’t keep up because the Turbelence is melting my brain even with earplugs 😭

·
Registered
278 Posts
I tested an S screen with no extension on my 790R set in the high setting and didn’t have much buffet at all. It was the best at wind protection, but I didn’t like how close to my face it was for off-road use and that there wasn’t room for a GPS to mount flush.
I‘m 5’ 11” and ride with a Bell MX-9 MIPS with visor, always ear plugs, and able to make phone call and listen to music at 70+ mph. Have you taken off the bottom winglets? If not give it a try. Your buffeting must be terrible to not keep up with African Twins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
R/G update. I took off the 2 lower wind deflectors under the headlight and it significantly cleaned up the air at head level. Doesn’t make sense, but it works. There is still some buffeting, but I estimate removing the deflectors cut the buffeting at least by half. And I like the look without the lower deflectors. I haven’t rode in rain yet, but hear without the lower deflectors rain will hit your lap, so they may go back on.

You got any photos of how you are setup, wanting to make sure I understand the winglets proper? I'm about your height and my S screen even in the up position I get buffeting with my EXO AT-950.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I tested an S screen with no extension on my 790R set in the high setting and didn’t have much buffet at all. It was the best at wind protection, but I didn’t like how close to my face it was for off-road use and that there wasn’t room for a GPS to mount flush.
I‘m 5’ 11” and ride with a Bell MX-9 MIPS with visor, always ear plugs, and able to make phone call and listen to music at 70+ mph. Have you taken off the bottom winglets? If not give it a try. Your buffeting must be terrible to not keep up with African Twins.
The first photo has winglets on (KTM sticker on it below/right of blinker), second photo has winglets removed. This is the standard Rade Garage (R/G) windscreen with R/G GPS amount. My phone mount is on the handlebars. The windscreen has held up good off-road hitting small bushes/branches and also triple digit highway speed. Below 60mph, it is nice, but buffeting/wind noise increase with speed above that. If you are looking for no wind/buffeting, I would not recommend the R/G. And I use that inexpensive Underarmor cooler as my trunk, bolted to the stock tail rack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 97227 View attachment 97228 The first photo has winglets on (KTM sticker on it below/right of blinker), second photo has winglets removed. This is the standard Rade Garage (R/G) windscreen with R/G GPS amount. My phone mount is on the handlebars. The windscreen has held up good off-road hitting small bushes/branches and also triple digit highway speed. Below 60mph, it is nice, but buffeting/wind noise increase with speed above that. If you are looking for no wind/buffeting, I would not recommend the R/G. And I use that inexpensive Underarmor cooler as my trunk, bolted to the stock tail rack.
View attachment 97227 View attachment 97228 The first photo has winglets on (KTM sticker on it below/right of blinker), second photo has winglets removed. This is the standard Rade Garage (R/G) windscreen with R/G GPS amount. My phone mount is on the handlebars. The windscreen has held up good off-road hitting small bushes/branches and also triple digit highway speed. Below 60mph, it is nice, but buffeting/wind noise increase with speed above that. If you are looking for no wind/buffeting, I would not recommend the R/G. And I use that inexpensive Underarmor cooler as my trunk, bolted to the stock tail rack.
Thanks for the response! Now, that cooler mount, I am curious on the bolted? Like legit just drilled holes out the bottom and bolted it?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I drilled 2 holes through the cooler that lined up with this slots in the rack. I used bolts with lock nuts and extra large washers, but a thin plate would work better than the washers because the cooler‘s support is just thin plastic. I got the idea 6-9 years ago when my DRZ tool kit cover started to fall apart. It had a solid hard plastic base the fit perfectly inside a $10 cooler with the tools and room for lots more stuff. Many years of abuse and still holding up. You KTM diehards, please ignore that photo, it’ ain’t orange.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Both my orange and blue coolers have survived single-track, motocross, and off-road crashes, and the orange has been 120+mph. The only way to get the blue one to go that fast would be if I drove it off a cliff.

·
Registered
2019 KTM 790 Adventure S, 2020 KTM XC-W 250 TPI
1 Posts
I have experimented with various windscreens, including the Madstad and Puig with no improvement over the stock screen on my 2019 Adventure S. However, I have had very good results with a very simple and cheap method. I purchased one of the clamp on extensions, which can be found on Amazon or EBay, Adjustable Clip On Windshield Extension Spoiler Wind Deflector For Motorcycle | eBay and run it in the horizontal position. It all but eliminates the buffeting but I still have to run my Scorpion modular helmet with no peak visor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Those of you experiencing terrible buffeting, see if you can try a different helmet.

I've never had any unusual buffeting from my 1190S, but I loaned it to a friend that reckoned it was so bad (in any position) it was intolerable. He removed the windshield entirely to get clean air. His helmet was an Arai. I've never used them because they are the wrong head shape for me. He's a very similar build to me, almost identical 5'8" height. Subsequently I rode the bike and tried to position myself/my head somewhere to get buffeting, tried different screen heights... not a thing anywhere, let alone anything bad! I can only put it down to his helmet. I use a couple of different ones and none do it.

·
Registered
2020 KTM 690 SMCR
32 Posts

karmicgumbo
I'm 5'8'and added the medium size (10 inch) bold on Puig lip and noticed very little improvement. I think the
turbulent air is coming around the sides of the stock shield. I am going to remove the plastic below the blinkers (will probably be wetter). If this does not help I will try a wider shield.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts