KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've had my SDGT for a year and a half now, and this is the second time I've encountered any major issue with the bike.

First of all, the mods:

Rottweiler fueling dongles + SAS / canister removal kit + PCV + exhaust + servo eliminator

The first major issue happened after I installed the PCV by a few months. The crank position sensor gave way and was replaced under warranty. The dealership tried to blame it on the PCV but in the end everything turned out well.

Before the CPS stopped working, the bike would randomly stall whenever I pulled in the clutch at deceleration coming to a stop, even when blipping the throttle to downshift. As soon as I pulled the clutch lever it would stall. Low RPM drivability is HORRENDOUS. It used to jump around and made me feel like the chain would come loose from the rough low rpm / low speed. To counter that I would have to slip the clutch constantly at these lower rpms / speeds.

Now, I'm facing a similar sensation prior to the crank position sensor giving way, but unlike the first time, when the symptoms started, the CPS gave way within a month. Now, it's been several months and the bike is still working.

Let's say this isn't a CPS issue, what else should I be looking at to solve the rough low rpm / speeds?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Possibly whatever caused the CPS to go on the fritz in the first place was not addressed just by replacement of the sensor itself.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You are in Bahrain right? get a better battery ... and Check battery cable connections at both ends. ECU’s prefer a constant voltage. Been thru a bunch of electrical malfunctions with my boat .... turns out it only needed new battery cables after they replaced wiring harness, TPS, CPS and some other really expensive parts due to varying voltage sent to ECU.
Love the earthX battery in the GT.

Reactions: leavittjim

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a couple questions:

• Did you do a custom map for your PCV?
  • Does it seem like the bike is just not getting fuel?

PM me & I can send you a PCV map.

I had to change out the fuel filters. Rottweilers kit made an incredible difference (HFP - KTM 990 - 1290 - Fuel Pump with Installation Kit). Really not hard to do. Drain your tank & replace. Did not have to remove the tank. Make sure to pick up some silicone lub for the gaskets (https://www.amazon.com/Napa-7651346...ocphy=1025667&hvtargid=pla-570724901273&psc=1 ). Best,

Doc :unsure: :unsure:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Classic case of the PC5 stuffing up your fuelling. Another person on this forum had a similar issue. I asked him to run a zero map (to try and isolate the issue). He did, and voila, his issues went away. I believe he ended up ditching the PC5, or at least disabling it altogether.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Hmmmm, Sherlock Holmes anyone?

Something's not right....... stalling with the clutch isn't normal or correct.... so something is out of spec.

The usual suspects..... battery & leads, clogged fuel filters or ethanol degraded filters, ummm from memory, if an accessory handle bar lever isn't installed correctly the sensor can cause problems, fuel dongles are just resistors in a plug and they can go out of spec... it's rare but you could test them with a multi meter and record the ohms - someone on here will know what they should be, or you coud try the oem O2 sensors if all else fails, the PCV is out of my league but could be the culprit....... in any case the machine should run perfect.

Make a list and work through all the bits one by one until it runs properly, then you know the last item was the culprit....... i have had a dongle fry itself on my GT but I have never had stalling issues.

Good luck

(y)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are in Bahrain right? get a better battery ... and Check battery cable connections at both ends. ECU’s prefer a constant voltage. Been thru a bunch of electrical malfunctions with my boat .... turns out it only needed new battery cables after they replaced wiring harness, TPS, CPS and some other really expensive parts due to varying voltage sent to ECU.
Love the earthX battery in the GT.
I live in Qatar. I did get a new battery less than a month ago, thinking that it would solve the issue, but it didn't, unfortunately.

I have a couple questions:

• Did you do a custom map for your PCV?
  • Does it seem like the bike is just not getting fuel?

PM me & I can send you a PCV map.

I had to change out the fuel filters. Rottweilers kit made an incredible difference (HFP - KTM 990 - 1290 - Fuel Pump with Installation Kit). Really not hard to do. Drain your tank & replace. Did not have to remove the tank. Make sure to pick up some silicone lub for the gaskets (Amazon.com: Napa 7651346 SIL Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound Tube, 8 oz.: Automotive ). Best,

Yes, I had it dyno tuned. So I had the Rottweiler map previously and then a custom map on the dyno, both maps didn't solve the stalling issue.

No, it doesn't seem like the bike isn't fueling. The stalling doesn't happen that often, but it does occur, and it's very random. I can't find a certain pattern to when it's stalling other than decelerating to a stop.

It's just super rough at low RPM and low speed and the only way to counter it is by slipping the clutch.

I will PM you. Thank you, Doc.

Classic case of the PC5 stuffing up your fuelling. Another person on this forum had a similar issue. I asked him to run a zero map (to try and isolate the issue). He did, and voila, his issues went away. I believe he ended up ditching the PC5, or at least disabling it altogether.
Okay, so I'm going to take the bike tomorrow to the dealership and have the test it, and possibly disable the PCV. What if the problem still occurs, then what?

Hmmmm, Sherlock Holmes anyone?

Something's not right....... stalling with the clutch isn't normal or correct.... so something is out of spec.

The usual suspects..... battery & leads, clogged fuel filters or ethanol degraded filters, ummm from memory, if an accessory handle bar lever isn't installed correctly the sensor can cause problems, fuel dongles are just resistors in a plug and they can go out of spec... it's rare but you could test them with a multi meter and record the ohms - someone on here will know what they should be, or you coud try the oem O2 sensors if all else fails, the PCV is out of my league but could be the culprit....... in any case the machine should run perfect.

Make a list and work through all the bits one by one until it runs properly, then you know the last item was the culprit....... i have had a dongle fry itself on my GT but I have never had stalling issues.

Good luck

(y)
I will do that list and try to find the solution by process of elimination. As mentioned earlier, I don't feel like it's a fueling issue, nor is it a power issue, at least that's what I feel. I'll disable the PCV, get some resistance readings, and try to work from there I guess.

Thank you for the suggestions!

·
Registered
463 Posts
When you go to the KTM Dealer consider asking if you have a BAD COIL. You would replace the spark plugs & the coils all at the same time. Best,

Doc:unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I have an update after some time. I've been a bit busy. Nevertheless, things are still not great with the GT. I've attached a clip of the issue in hand. I handed the mechanic a list of things to do that the members have suggested to look at. Thank you everyone who had an input.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Possible that something still wrong with a map? Maybe try another ...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Is the idle too low? In the vid it looks like it's set at 1,000 or 1100rpm........ my gen 2 has a 1450 factory idle speed, tho I'm not sure what the gen 2 is supposed to run.

:unsure:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the idle too low? In the vid it looks like it's set at 1,000 or 1100rpm........ my gen 2 has a 1450 factory idle speed, tho I'm not sure what the gen 2 is supposed to run.

:unsure:
No, sir. It idles at ~1500. When I SLIGHTLY twist the throttle, it drops down to ~1000 and then revs back up to ~1500 where it will idle.

When I start the bike it will idle at ~1000 like you see in the video but gradually increase to ~1500 where it will stay.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thats a real tough one. Will require KTM computer analysis at a KTM DEALER. Still believe this may be a BAD COIL. If it is make sure they replace ALL THE SPARK PLUGS when they replace ALL THE COILS.

Best,

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats a real tough one. Will require KTM computer analysis at a KTM DEALER. Still believe this may be a BAD COIL. If it is make sure they replace ALL THE SPARK PLUGS when they replace ALL THE COILS.

Best,

They tested the coils and they turned out fine. They replaced the spark plugs but that changed nothing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
WOW!! Did anything come up on the KTM Dealers Computer??

Electrical gremlins can be very difficult to diagnosis. Now sound like either a malfunctioning ECU or bad PCV?? Does it occure if you turn off the power to the PCV??

Not smart/ experienced enough to come up with a fix...

Best,

Doc 😢 😢

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW!! Did anything come up on the KTM Dealers Computer??

Electrical gremlins can be very difficult to diagnosis. Now sound like either a malfunctioning ECU or bad PCV?? Does it occure if you turn off the power to the PCV??

Not smart/ experienced enough to come up with a fix...

Best,

Doc 😢 😢
Nothing came up on the KTM computer. I haven't tried disconnecting the PCV yet, but I'm leaning towards another faulty cam position sensor. I've spoken to the tuner who tuned my PCV and I'm scheduled for a dyno run on Friday or Saturday, and we'll see what happens then.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
No, sir. It idles at ~1500. When I SLIGHTLY twist the throttle, it drops down to ~1000 and then revs back up to ~1500 where it will idle.

When I start the bike it will idle at ~1000 like you see in the video but gradually increase to ~1500 where it will stay.
:unsure:........ that sounds odd to me........ mine is stock and it goes to 1500 idle every time it's started. I wonder if it is as has been suggested, a mapping issue with the PCV creating a low rpm stall - or a vacuum leak in a hose somewhere? These engines have very light crankshafts so they can rev up at an incredible rate, and rely on a 1500 idle to run properly ...... ;)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Your bike should still function with the PCV turned off. Unplug it and see if you have the same or similar issue.

If the issue is still present consider checking all the wiring/ wires/ connections going to the cam position sensor & throttle sensor.

Best,

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Just quickly....... I thought of it after I signed off and went to the dentist for another $2k Au of crown cap work..... :eek:...

Has the GT's throttle bodies gone out of synchro? I ask because my cousin works for KTM now, and proudly explained back in October that he and the other senior mechanic sorted a 790R that was stalling persistently, by synchro'ing the TB's using a fluid manometer instead of the KTM system diagnostics. The out of balance synchro might be causing the low idle and stall before it struggles up to the normal 1500 rpm....... :unsure:

Good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just quickly....... I thought of it after I signed off and went to the dentist for another $2k Au of crown cap work..... :eek:...

Has the GT's throttle bodies gone out of synchro? I ask because my cousin works for KTM now, and proudly explained back in October that he and the other senior mechanic sorted a 790R that was stalling persistently, by synchro'ing the TB's using a fluid manometer instead of the KTM system diagnostics. The out of balance synchro might be causing the low idle and stall before it struggles up to the normal 1500 rpm....... :unsure:

Good luck!
I asked about throttle body balancing, but the dealer said they only do it through the KTM computer. I'll ask if they'll do it manually but I highly doubt it. I might need to go to a shop to have that done.

Your bike should still function with the PCV turned off. Unplug it and see if you have the same or similar issue.

If the issue is still present consider checking all the wiring/ wires/ connections going to the cam position sensor & throttle sensor.

Best,

I'll turn the PCV off before taking it to the tuner and see if it solves anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts