KTM Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 SDGT and I would like to replace the Angel GT tires with a more aggressive tread design to make the bike easier to handle on dirt roads. When I asked the dealer, they said the only tires that would fit the rear rim have a different profile and might interfere with the ABS functions? Is this an issue, or will the ABS system recalibrate itself?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Cheers @leavittjim ,

That advice seems a little confused so I'll assume they meant you have a 6" rear road rim, so you can only choose a tyre like the one's fitted to a Ducati Multistrada - eg the Pirrelli semi road/trail Scorpion's.

You may not be able to fit the off road types as they might only fit the narrower rims used on the SA-R. Have a good look at the options for 6" rims.

The Scorpions are 120/70-17 and 170/60-17 at a quick glance, so they may require recalibration (though no mention is made in the owners handbook so it may be self sensing) but should be better for gravel roads compared to the Angel GT's. The speedo will not be affected but the tyre will have a smaller OD. I thought the ducati's had a 190/55-17 rear scorpion but can't quickly confirm tyre sizes......

Note that the SA-R has (from memory) a 5" x 18rear (I think - you will have to look it up) and runs a 170/60 width knobby type off road tyre which will not fit on a 6" road rim.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have a 2019 SDGT and I would like to replace the Angel GT tires with a more aggressive tread design to make the bike easier to handle on dirt roads. When I asked the dealer, they said the only tires that would fit the rear rim have a different profile and might interfere with the ABS functions? Is this an issue, or will the ABS system recalibrate itself?
Idiots - the dirt roads will certainly have a bigger impact on abs behaviour than any tire profile...

There are plenty tire options depending on the pavement to dirt ratio...

I may go this route on my Sdr when my OEM tires wear out and explore some dirt roads ...

Personally I would just keep the OEM sizes - lots of options:

C75C3547-5338-4F66-9BE0-4D34A036F2D8.jpeg
7122107E-F785-446A-968E-3CB4E3BA8290.jpeg
1EED8F61-C8D7-472E-8E45-433EC7526F7B.jpeg

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If you want aggressive off-road...

180/55 instead of 190/55.. should be fine.

You could climb some nice hills with these tires...

Interesting marketing campaign as I was drawn to this photo :p
0ED81A8F-3045-4757-A56C-0DEAA7CDCB02.jpeg

·
Registered
151 Posts
The GT would be ...interesting...off road....you would have to turn the ABS off, otherwise stopping would be exciting....:p

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yes I was thinking that after I rushed off for a :coffee: meet this morning....... but I also thought that maybe the SDGT might need to be traded in on an SAS or SA-R depending on how much aggression in the dirt is required :D.

The wide road rims will always be a limiting factor..... but so long as you choose a tyre that fits a 6" rim you should be ok..... and the TC & ABS can be turned off ....... but an SDGT in the dirt....... :devilish:.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
17" front rims are less than ideal for dirt work as the load is spread too far to make the wheel run straight. This is why ADV bikes have those skinny 21 inchers on the front and even the compromise SAS runs a 19" front. You can likely find some 17s with blocky tread, but it's just not the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not trying to create an off-road sport bike! I live in Littleton, CO U.S.A, and I have put 140,000 miles on my 2002 Honda Goldwing, since new, riding the canyon roads in the Rocky Mountains. Many times the canyons are connected by short spirts on gravel roads which make a Goldwing act like a total pig. While the SDGT handles these roads much better than the Wing, it still acts a bit squirrely. Since I spent my youth and about 100,000 miles riding dirt bikes both here in the U.S.A. and in the sand dunes of Saudi Arabia, I know how much difference having some tread on the front wheel can make, and if it means using the throttle and the rear wheel to steer, I am fine with that.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I am not trying to create an off-road sport bike! I live in Littleton, CO U.S.A, and I have put 140,000 miles on my 2002 Honda Goldwing, since new, riding the canyon roads in the Rocky Mountains. Many times the canyons are connected by short spirts on gravel roads which make a Goldwing act like a total pig. While the SDGT handles these roads much better than the Wing, it still acts a bit squirrely. Since I spent my youth and about 100,000 miles riding dirt bikes both here in the U.S.A. and in the sand dunes of Saudi Arabia, I know how much difference having some tread on the front wheel can make, and if it means using the throttle and the rear wheel to steer, I am fine with that.
I recently herded my '16 GT along 17 miles of rocks, ruts, dirt and washboard on the Blue Mesa cutoff between 149 and 50 to save a 40-mile turnaround and I have to say it wasn't worth it. Speeds ranged from 10-28 mph. A taller, narrower front with a blocky tread would have been welcome, but not sure how much good the tread alone would have done. Were I you, I would see about the 19" cast wheel from the SuperAdventureS. Even my old GS1100E handled dirt fairly well with a 19" front. 17s are just too nervous.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts