KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with the the check engine light post mods recently installed. I installed a cat delete mid pipe, SAS removal, canister removal, O2 dongles with a PCV. It's not throwing any major error codes on the screen just the engine light is on and all the appropriate dongles were installed. It runs like great and pulls even harder but I'm wondering if anyone had an idea what might be causing the issue before bringing it into the stealership to get hooked up to their code machine. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
On your dash what does the "warning" information site say it is determining?
It doesn't even give me a text warning. Just the yellow engine icon lights up when the bike is started and running. I was under the impression if something was wrong a red fault message should show up every time I start the bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you add an ESE exhaust servo eliminator module if you removed the cat/servo motor?
I did, but the weird part is that when I installed the servo eliminator and the cat i started the bike initially and it did post a warning briefly but then it went away.....I wonder if it's a bad ESE module. Is that a possibility?

·
Registered
831 Posts
It is a possibility but it isn't likely... When I installed an ESE I did not get any warning lights, even briefly. Is the ESE inserted all the way? I wrapped duct tape on on mine to keep rain out of the connector and prevent vibrations from from stress fatiguing the connectors. Perhaps a little contact cleaner and a visual inspection of the ESE would be a good next step. Also, it is always important to remember that poor ground connections and low batteries cause all sorts of unexplainable behavior and check those as a matter of course.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it was odd because I thought the ESE was supposed to eliminate that error from showing up. I'll try what you mentioned before bringing it in to get it diagnosed. Got to love these European bike electrical gremlins. Thanks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
No worries. Good luck. I will say that when I had my second EXUP motor break within two years it was very frustrating. I looked at the ESE as a "magic bullet" solution and it has worked flawlessly. Look at the internal pins on both connectors and see if they are still good. I had a fuel pump replaced and either the tech or the universe got one of the wires in one of the connectors pulled out/torn from the connector so contact could not be made. That took a month and a half to get sorted! Euro bikes have always had "quirks" and "niggles" that long suffering riders had to deal with. It's part of the reason Honda did so well when they first started and sold RELIABLE motorcycles. The trouble is worth it every time you twist the throttle until it isn't.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
It may go off by itself after a certain number of ignition cycles. Check your battery connections and condition. Seems any small electrical failing, like a poor connection or weak battery, will trigger the check engine light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can pickup odb2 cable for connecting to ktm diagnostic plug fairly cheap and use an odb reader to get basic codes and clear. Do note that the delete plug will still throw a code, but not the one that will result in dash alert. Rottweiler mentions this on their dongle install videos and I see them on mine but no issues on dash alerts

Motorcycle 6Pin to OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Adapter Cable for K-T-M Motorbike, Compatible with Elm327 Diagnostic Scanner for Programming Reading Code ECU Tune https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097KJC1P...abc_BWVQBEEW5VY0NY9B57CA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can pickup odb2 cable for connecting to ktm diagnostic plug fairly cheap and use an odb reader to get basic codes and clear. Do note that the delete plug will still throw a code, but not the one that will result in dash alert. Rottweiler mentions this on their dongle install videos and I see them on mine but no issues on dash alerts

Motorcycle 6Pin to OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Adapter Cable for K-T-M Motorbike, Compatible with Elm327 Diagnostic Scanner for Programming Reading Code ECU Tune https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097KJC1P...abc_BWVQBEEW5VY0NY9B57CA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
There ya go.... Correct. Dirt cheap solution. I just did this a few days ago. It works perfectly. Dyno's are now data logging from this diagnostic port (CAN). Its about time.....

I pulled my O2's a few days ago. NO emulators because I can shut off functionality in the ECU flash software. It did throw O2 codes because I still had to turn the bike on to flash it. My Motorola phone has a free diagnostic app for OBD. It reset the codes without issue. Only reason I removed the O2's is because I'm logging individual cylinder AFR...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Nice, thank for the input. I'm gonna pick one of those up and try to diagnose the problem myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts