KTM Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally pulled the trigger sold my BMW K1300S HP. I loved the bike butt really missed the relaxed ergos of larger Adventure bikes. Dam bike had a taker on Cycle trader in 5 days. Any hoot I decided on a 1290 SA S. what a great machine common up on 300 miles. I love it. I have had a 1190 Adv R a 1290 SA T, and loved both of them. Any hoot what do I do with all my bikes. I make up a second set of wheels, Usually to make them better at their alter egos. For the 14’ 1190 Adv R I made up a 19” - 17” set for road use. For my 1290 SA S I used that second set to put knobies on for off road use.

In 2019 I got a 790 Adv R and had Warp9 racing make me a pair of Supermoto 17” wheels for it. This is my other bike that I keep at my vacation home at the beach. So if I want go to the Pine Barrens in Jersey I put on my 21 - 18’s with the stock Karoo’s and away I go. If I want to just be a street hooligan I put on the 17’s. BTW the 790 with the 17’s is the best handling street bike I have ever owned. Just wanted you to get an idea where my head is.
Anyway the 1290 SA S comes with a 19” - 17 setup. This is mainly aimed at having a bike that can do sport touring while still giving it decent capability do light off road fire trails etc. While the bike handles incredibly well mainly due to the suspension which is really sick. You do however still get the gyroscopic effect of the lager front wheel. So what if I made up a 17” front tire with a custom tone ring. This would make the bike even more street biased and the handling would be incredible. It would be a Super Duke GT with ergos that actually fit me as I am 6’-5” 255 lbs.

I started looking into this and see the new 790 Dukes have the same cast wheel pattern. I can get a black wheel set up with all the internals new for just less than $400. I already have a second set of rotors and the only other thing I will need is a custom 45 tooth front tone ring and a tire. So for roughly $600 I can swing the deal.

So do you guys think this is worth it or should I just leave well enough alone. I am a tinkerer. So it’s just like making a better mouse trap. Still $600 I could spend on other performance upgrades. Your thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am thinking before I dive in on the 17” Duke wheel I will simply put the current 17” front wheel from my 790 Adv R Supermoto setup. Just to see what the new wheel and geometry actually end up doing. If it is a success and make an appreciable difference then I will be in. I’ll let you know how it works out. It will screw up then MTC ABS so I will have to get a custom tone ring made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No need for custom/specials, I normally keep these on the shelf 👍
Ian if I end up going this route I will let you know. So how much fo just the 45 too th front tone ring? Have a great day!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts