Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rick Danger

·
Registered
48 Posts
So it appears you had to get. SD wheel with SD rotors, did you have to do the caliper blocks or was that your choice. Also is that an SD fender? What did you do for a tone ring? I have calculated that you need a 45 tooth sensor to account for the higher rpm of the 17” vs the 19” front wheel. This would correct speedo and balance the ABS/MTC systems. But you would need a modified SD sensor ring to 45 tooth. I am thinking that in order to keep rotors and associated calipers etc., of going with a super moto 17” spoked wheel. That way I get a custom tone ring, which Warp9 racing is building me and I should be good. I had them build a set for 17” super Moto wheels my 790 Adv R . It is an ridiculous canyon carver with them. I wanted to go with either Super Duke 1290 or 790 wheels but a lot of things like rotors and calipers alignment just don’t add up. I can get a complete tuneless 17” front spoked tuneless wheel with rotors for around $700 so $150 fro the front tire and we are done. How much did the sad fender run you? In the end do you think is worth the $850 investment for me? How much was you total investment going your route? Looks awesome dude. I am sure it’s handling is just at another level. Like driving an SD with comfy ergos. Which for me is the deal. At 6’-5” 260 lbs.

I'm 6'5" to. And at 62 I just didnt want the leany fit of a SDGT. Although I wouldnt have minded the extra hp, and the 6" rear wheel. I looked at multistradas but those didnt fit me good either. I bought the SAS with the intention of the SD wheel right from the get go. I have a '17 SAT ,so I didnt want another adv. bike. I wanted a 990 SMT with a 1301. 😁 So, the fender is a 2011 990smt fender. The calipers were just an "I want" thing. Didnt need them. I actually bought a "kit" from a guy in france that came with ABS rings (a corrected rear too) 5mm thick spacers that you need for the rotors to line up with the adv. calipers, and an axle spacer that I really think might be a SDGT oem spacer. but not sure. The spacers were big for some reason ,so I cut them down. Wound up being a good thing since the racetech rotors are thicker than the stock SDGT rotors, and have a machined out area, so the spacers couldnt be any larger than the wheel hub mounting area. I'm totally happy with the way it came out and handles. The header is a black ceramic coated Arrow. with a wings muffler. I put conti race attacks on to compensate a little for the 5" rear wheel. Havent felt any slip, and been within about 3/8" of the edge.
20200829_170501.jpg
20200830_094643.jpg
20200908_071903.jpg
20200826_065347.jpg
20200917_135420.jpg
20201006_141159.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here the 790 Adv R in Supermoto set up

Nice! That thing must go great with the low slung weight of the gas.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nice! That thing must go great with the low slung weight of the gas.
Yes it is the best handling twisties bike I have ever had I just knee drag it though the corners

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm 6'5" to. And at 62 I just didnt want the leany fit of a SDGT. Although I wouldnt have minded the extra hp, and the 6" rear wheel. I looked at multistradas but those didnt fit me good either. I bought the SAS with the intention of the SD wheel right from the get go. I have a '17 SAT ,so I didnt want another adv. bike. I wanted a 990 SMT with a 1301. So, the fender is a 2011 990smt fender. The calipers were just an "I want" thing. Didnt need them. I actually bought a "kit" from a guy in france that came with ABS rings (a corrected rear too) 5mm thick spacers that you need for the rotors to line up with the adv. calipers, and an axle spacer that I really think might be a SDGT oem spacer. but not sure. The spacers were big for some reason ,so I cut them down. Wound up being a good thing since the racetech rotors are thicker than the stock SDGT rotors, and have a machined out area, so the spacers couldnt be any larger than the wheel hub mounting area. I'm totally happy with the way it came out and handles. The header is a black ceramic coated Arrow. with a wings muffler. I put conti race attacks on to compensate a little for the 5" rear wheel. Havent felt any slip, and been within about 3/8" of the edge. View attachment 99335 View attachment 99336 View attachment 99338 View attachment 99337 View attachment 99339 View attachment 99340
Yep very similar experience I had. 1290 SA T and had it set up for off road did the Colorado and Utah BDRs on her in August of 17. Got back wanted a real sport tourer and found a 2102 BMW K1300 S HP. Great bike but after a year or two the ergonomics just started making me not looking forward to a long ride. Sold it and Got my 2020 1290 SA S that same day. Mine is orange though. I love it but after my experience with the 790 Adv R I really wanted to go with the 17” front. At this point while I love the 1290 SD rim the package is going to run me around $400 more. It is a sweet machine though. I was just going to get a custom tone ring and slip on my 790 Adv 17” front wheel and see if I think is was worth going that route. After seeing yours I am stoked again. I may just go that route with spoked wheels $400 dollars is something I can spend on ceramic coating of the pipes. I can actually do that myself. It does look bad *** though. Great project. I am sure you are loving it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep very similar experience I had. 1290 SA T and had it set up for off road did the Colorado and Utah BDRs on her in August of 17. Got back wanted a real sport tourer and found a 2102 BMW K1300 S HP. Great bike but after a year or two the ergonomics just started making me not looking forward to a long ride. Sold it and Got my 2020 1290 SA S that same day. Mine is orange though. I love it but after my experience with the 790 Adv R I really wanted to go with the 17” front. At this point while I love the 1290 SD rim the package is going to run me around $400 more. It is a sweet machine though. I was just going to get a custom tone ring and slip on my 790 Adv 17” front wheel and see if I think is was worth going that route. After seeing yours I am stoked again. I may just go that route with spoked wheels $400 dollars is something I can spend on ceramic coating of the pipes. I can actually do that myself. It does look bad *** though. Great project. I am sure you are loving it.

Yeah, I did the SD wheel thing because I wanted matching wheels on a brand new bike. Definitely more money because of the need for rotors. And the rest of the stuff to make it work. Riding season is almost over here. Although it looks like a week of nice 60's stuff coming, so I'm stoked. I went out west last year. Awesome out there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Parts are all here except for 5 mm spacers and 45 tooth tone ring. I’ve been working on it but no responses. I may have to just take it to a machinist with a laser scanner and just change it to 44 tooth

and have it cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here is a before pic

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just I was typing DHL just delivered my favorite glove Held Revel II from the Visor shop. Today is going to be a good day

·
Registered
48 Posts
Parts are all here except for 5 mm spacers and 45 tooth tone ring. I’ve been working on it but no responses. I may have to just take it to a machinist with a laser scanner and just change it to 44 tooth

and have it cut.

I that a superduke wheel? Its directional, even though it doesnt look much different on either side. Theres a little arrow hiding on one side.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good call Rick. I assumed the red marker meant abs sensor this side. So I set up the 90 degree stem to be pointing to the outside. My old eyes did not catch this but in the pic you can see the directional arrow plain as day. So I set it up correctly. BTW I am having a machinist friend I know make me 5mm spacers They will be 7.8 mm id, 17mm OD, 5mm thick. I have emailed and message both IanC and Warp9 racing about making the tone ring. But my buddy is making these.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good call Rick. I assumed the red marker meant abs sensor this side. So I set up the 90 degree stem to be pointing to the outside. My old eyes did not catch this but in the pic you can see the directional arrow plain as day. So I set it up correctly. BTW I am having a machinist friend I know make me 5mm spacers They will be 7.8 mm id, 17mm OD, 5mm thick. I have emailed and message both IanC and Warp9 racing about making the tone ring. But my buddy is making these.
Initially I was concerned that putting spacers on like this would have the rotors loose the extra strength of the shoulder that should support them in the middle, and just be relying on the strength of the bolts. But so far its a non issue though. Just better keep the stoppies down to a minimum. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I did get some M-8 by 30 mm Bolts to make up for the stock M8 x25 mm bolts. I want to make sure they are rooted down as far as possible into the hub. I would imagine my buddy wil get me the spacers and the ABS ring by end of week. I am hoping to find the end result will make it all worth while. I might get a pair of Metzler Spartech M7 RR tires. Have them on the 790 they work awesome for me. Any hoot when she's all done Ill post up some pics. Then give you my feedback. FYI the owner of Warp9 racing finally got back to me he made me a set od ABS rings based upon the Spoked wheel set up. So that is a route to go as well in the future. Cheers

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

So here is the wheel with decals. Update my buddy who is a machinist is not only going to cut me my 5mm spacers but he going to cut the custom ABS ring. Also in reading on several forums I had some people saying the axel spacer needed to be 2mm more. The discussion was saying that 2mm between both forks sets would not amount to much and that things would work fine without a new axel spacer. So I measure the up and he is going to make me two spacer extensions for the axel. Each 2mm thick. He said he can fit it in his schedule and finish everything tomorrow and ship it out Friday. So I should get them Saturday or Sunday latest. I should finish putting on rotors and then installing the new wheel in an hour or two. I’ll take pics when I am done.

·
Registered
48 Posts

So here is the wheel with decals. Update my buddy who is a machinist is not only going to cut me my 5mm spacers but he going to cut the custom ABS ring. Also in reading on several forums I had some people saying the axel spacer needed to be 2mm more. The discussion was saying that 2mm between both forks sets would not amount to much and that things would work fine without a new axel spacer. So I measure the up and he is going to make me two spacer extensions for the axel. Each 2mm thick. He said he can fit it in his schedule and finish everything tomorrow and ship it out Friday. So I should get them Saturday or Sunday latest. I should finish putting on rotors and then installing the new wheel in an hour or two. I’ll take pics when I am done.

The "kit" I got for mine included an axle spacer. You can see it in this pic. I always wondered if it was just an oem superduke part. You should order one up. I would be interesting to find out. Not a huge risk at $13. Or maybe I will. But I'll have to wait till next tire change to see. #16 2019 KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE GT BLACK Front Wheel | KTM World

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
When ordered the Super Duke wheel I ordered stock OEM ABS ring and OEM axel Spacers. I ordered a OEM ABS thinking if I send to a machine shop they will want a Stock one for reference. Which my buddy did. I had read on ADV rider forum with someone doing this on his 1190 that the axel spacer was off by 2 mm. So not knowing, I just ordered a Super Duke GT OEM spacer set and I t had my buddy make me two 2mm axel spacer extensions. This should cover all eventualities. I also ordered M-8 x 30 mm bolts because the OEM M8 x 25 would be compromised seating depth wise by adding in the 5mm spacers. In the end I think I have covered all eventualities so once I get the parts in it should all go together without a hitch. I did flex back and forth about the 5 mm spacers going with a complete disc cutout or just getting the max size width spacers. I reasoned though that with a17 mm diameter the base of the spacer is 3 times the thickness. Once torqued down I just do not see anyway you could generate enough force to deform the spacer particular in compression and with a five point attachment. I cut the interval diameter of the spacers only a couple of thousands mm more than the OD of the m8 bolts, so it is going to be pretty snug. We shall see. I will do some slow speed maximum effort stops to verify and then check before I take it out. I will then bring it in disassemble it and do an inspection just to be sure. I anticipate no concerns but better safe than sorry. I Don't want to grab a had full at 80 mph and have the front rotor disintegrated. Not Good. Any hoot I will keep you posted and send out some pics. Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dont forget to leave the calipers a little loose, And do the final tightening with the front brake squeezed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Shipping to me today. My buddy is the man.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts