KTM Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So today I got the parts and assembled the wheel. I had my buddy make me 2 , 2mm axel spacer to play with the spacing to match the required axel dimensions. I had a SA S OEM Spacer, which was on the 19” wheel then a Super Duke GT spacer that is 0.8 mm less than the SA S spacer. Bottom line after taking it of there time s I finally got the spacing just right. I required a Super Duke spacer and then both 2mm spacer for a total of 4 mm. Lines everything up perfectly. The 5mm spacers for the rotor connections I made 17 mm OD it was a hair to bug and I ended up putting them in my shop vise and ran a flat file over them 5 or six strokes to take a couple of thousandths off. They then fit in like a glove. Approach breaking gingerly, I progressively increased speed till finally I did an 80 mph full bore stop. The brake and rotors performed flawlessly. Not movement not re torquing of bolts required. As far as the bike I am impressed to say the least. Now you think and look and then bike turns. It makes it such an awesome sport touring machine. It’s like having a Super Duke GT with decent ergos for people who are 6’-5”. I got a Pirelli Angel ST up front for now. I’ll wait to spring and then either get a new set (120-70 R17 , 180-55 R17) of tires. Leaning towards a Continental Port Attack 4’s or a Metzler Sportec M9 RR. I have the M7 RR’s on the 790 and I love them. I am really happy the way it turned out I am sure that putting on then 180-55 rear will make it even more responsive. The 44 tooth ABS ring was the right selection. Speedo dead nuts on. ABS/MTC flawless.
IMG_2243.jpg

I love it. Now for some pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rick Danger

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Registered
48 Posts

Sweet!
Now you think and look and then bike turns. It makes it such an awesome sport touring machine. It’s like having a Super Duke GT with decent ergos for people who are 6’-5”.

Its like listening to myself talk. (y) I tried to get the center of gravity a little lower. I pushed the forks up so about 5/8" is sticking out of the top triple clamp. Also helped a little with the odd roller skate wheel look of the 17. And installed a lowering washer on the rear shock. Billet Rear Suspension Lowering Kit for KTM 1290 Super Adventure R S 2017-2019 | eBay I got exactly 3k miles out of Conti race attacks. Maybe worth checking them out. They seem to be at a pretty good price point compared to others. I used up to about 3/8" on the rear 180/55 And never noticed any slip......If I did it over, I might have gone with the individual spacers like you. After all, it is unsprung weight. I just like the idea of a full ring for strength. Next time I have the wheel off I might drill a bunch of holes in them. As far as ergos, you know you can get about 3" of bar riser to work on that bike. I have two sets.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
For street use the bars are fine. Standing I need a 1” bar riser. If I was riding it of road I would put on a some Rox anti vibration bar risers Rox Anti-Vibration Elite 2" Pivot Risers for 1 1/8" Handlebars | 10% ($16.91) Off! - RevZilla. Had these on my 1290 SA T, they we great.

Not sure if I want to lower the bike. For me it’s fine. I can’t ride it any faster one way or the other. Only a matter of the final geometry when you put on the 180/55 R17 on the rear. If it feels to twitchy the lowering the back will help. I may pull the stock dampener and drain out the 15 wt fork oil and put in some 70 weight gear oil to stiffen it up quite a bit. Did this on the 1290 SA T. It was another simple upgrade that was really worth it. Also I am thinking of putting a Stock Super Duke GT exhaust and taking of the Potato launcher. I may de baffle it. I like the look have to make a Speacial bracket but not a problem. What are your thoughts.

Last I am thinking of knocking out the catalytic material in pipe. Did this on the 1290 SA T. Pretty easy just took a piece of rebar and broke it out.

Once I do the exhaust, new tires and the front dampener I think I will be done. I will look into then Conti Races.

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
For street use the bars are fine. Standing I need a 1” bar riser. If I was riding it of road I would put on a some Rox anti vibration bar risers Rox Anti-Vibration Elite 2" Pivot Risers for 1 1/8" Handlebars | 10% ($16.91) Off! - RevZilla. Had these on my 1290 SA T, they we great.

Not sure if I want to lower the bike. For me it’s fine. I can’t ride it any faster one way or the other. Only a matter of the final geometry when you put on the 180/55 R17 on the rear. If it feels to twitchy the lowering the back will help. I may pull the stock dampener and drain out the 15 wt fork oil and put in some 70 weight gear oil to stiffen it up quite a bit. Did this on the 1290 SA T. It was another simple upgrade that was really worth it. Also I am thinking of putting a Stock Super Duke GT exhaust and taking of the Potato launcher. I may de baffle it. I like the look have to make a Speacial bracket but not a problem. What are your thoughts.

Last I am thinking of knocking out the catalytic material in pipe. Did this on the 1290 SA T. Pretty easy just took a piece of rebar and broke it out.

Once I do the exhaust, new tires and the front dampener I think I will be done. I will look into then Conti Races.

Cheers

Might have to call up your machinist buddy. SD exhausts are cheap and easy to find. Just dont look to close at the build quality. IMO

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yep I can get one for $125. . Then I’ll pop the rear rivets and pull the baffle out. I’ve heard them this way. They are pretty deep and throaty.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts