625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
And that is the final option. Wise decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: potomacduc

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm 6'5" to. And at 62 I just didnt want the leany fit of a SDGT. Although I wouldnt have minded the extra hp, and the 6" rear wheel. I looked at multistradas but those didnt fit me good either. I bought the SAS with the intention of the SD wheel right from the get go. I have a '17 SAT ,so I didnt want another adv. bike. I wanted a 990 SMT with a 1301. 😁 So, the fender is a 2011 990smt fender. The calipers were just an "I want" thing. Didnt need them. I actually bought a "kit" from a guy in france that came with ABS rings (a corrected rear too) 5mm thick spacers that you need for the rotors to line up with the adv. calipers, and an axle spacer that I really think might be a SDGT oem spacer. but not sure. The spacers were big for some reason ,so I cut them down. Wound up being a good thing since the racetech rotors are thicker than the stock SDGT rotors, and have a machined out area, so the spacers couldnt be any larger than the wheel hub mounting area. I'm totally happy with the way it came out and handles. The header is a black ceramic coated Arrow. with a wings muffler. I put conti race attacks on to compensate a little for the 5" rear wheel. Havent felt any slip, and been within about 3/8" of the edge. View attachment 99335 View attachment 99336 View attachment 99338 View attachment 99337 View attachment 99339 View attachment 99340
Hi Rick, in the process of this myself I have a few questions if someone could help that would be great.

Do you have wheel spacer sizes ? Or which I can buy or do they need to be machined custom?

Tone rings is it only the front that needs changing ? 45 slot is that correct ?

And only other things I need are smt mudguard and 5mm disc spacers ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Hi Rick, in the process of this myself I have a few questions if someone could help that would be great.

Do you have wheel spacer sizes ? Or which I can buy or do they need to be machined custom?

Tone rings is it only the front that needs changing ? 45 slot is that correct ?

And only other things I need are smt mudguard and 5mm disc spacers ?

Thank you.
I had my buddy make me 44 teeth . Speedo is spot on. I had my buddy make me the 5mm rotor spacers and 2mm axel spacers. I believe the spacer were 15 mm outside diameter. I had to file on side a little so they would fit the machining lips on the inside of the SDGT cuts at the trueing plane . Here are some pics and sketches for you

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Another thing you see is I had to order 30 mm long volts OEM are 25 mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jason - KTM

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my buddy make me 44 teeth . Speedo is spot on. I had my buddy make me the 5mm rotor spacers and 2mm axel spacers. I believe the spacer were 15 mm outside diameter. I had to file on side a little so they would fit the machining lips on the inside of the SDGT cuts at the trueing plane . Here are some pics and sketches for you View attachment 105949
View attachment 105950
View attachment 105951
View attachment 105952
View attachment 105953
View attachment 105954
View attachment 105955
View attachment 105956

Thanks Grizz, so do you only need 2mm wheel spacer each side or is that plus superduke OEM spacer?

I'm sure I can buy 44 tooth tone rings from somewhere 🤔

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
You need to add it to the existing OEM SAS front wheel spacer. Either 1 or 2 additional 2mm axel spacers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jason - KTM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Always wanted a 17 front wheel for my SAS, still thinking about my 990 SMT, so I talk with a friend of my mine and using the forum info, decided to develop a kit for the conversion. I have hust receveid the parts and I anm testing on my bike but everything seems ok

I will post the final images as everythig gets installed.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where did you get the parts from?
I ask a friend to desing and cut some parts to test in my bike as I said in my post. My friend´s idea was to sell a kit with rotor spacers, axe spacers, ABS rotor and bolts in ebay after test it with my SAS but I can ask him to sell directly.

I would not like to use forum for sale but I can ask my colleague to give me a mail adress to ask him price and envy.

If I am breaking Forum rules I would delete it inmediately

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ask a friend to desing and cut some parts to test in my bike as I said in my post. My friend´s idea was to sell a kit with rotor spacers, axe spacers, ABS rotor and bolts in ebay after test it with my SAS but I can ask him to sell directly.

I would not like to use forum for sale but I can ask my colleague to give me a mail adress to ask him price and envy.

If I am breaking Forum rules I would delete it inmediately
Ok thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
A buddy oodles mine who made my set , recently made a forum member a kit $350

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
My friend was thinking about 175€ (quite similar in $ now), he is water cutting a small batch and giving a primer + paint, just avoiding a more expensive paint to maintain costs. I don´t know shippings cost but can ask to give a final cost.

If somebody is interested I can ask him and see options.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have check the parts and everything it´s OK, rotor and axe spacers, rim fits perfectly. Now I have to buy a tyre and do a road test.

Fiiting rotor spacers with a gently nylon hammer help

44 tooth abs rotor. M8 35 mm screws fitted

And two spacers in position. 5 mm rotor spacer and 2 mm axis. I had to put a whaser in ABS sensor cause was touching the abs rotor.

Final kit. Total weight without screws, 100 grams. Rotor spacers are aluminium and axis spacers and abs rotor galvanizing steel, the abs sensor needs a ferric metal.

This would be the final kit. If someone it´s interested I will announce in the forum, me and my friend tried to made a ebay announce but was not possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
alasoa,

Hello,
Is your buddy selling the kits for conversion to 17" front wheels on the 1290 SAS? I am in the USA and I'm looking for a conversion kit. Do these spacers allow us to use the 1290 SAS brake rotors?

Thanks

I just joined here, so I can't send you a private message. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

thanks!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Soulomoto

You will be able to use your existing rotors. The location of rotor attachment points is identical, the Rotors are 5mm wider on each side relative to the Super Duke . The spacers take care of this.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I am happy to see that someone is making a kit for this conversion . I figured it out and had parts made by a friend of mine who is a machinist. If I were in the market I would seriously consider your kit. Reasonable price as well.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts