KTM Forums banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, sorry a lot of work and I forget the Forum !!!

Of course If some one wants a kit I would send it worldwide. To give buyers maximun security I can post it in the forum sales place (Sorry for my poor english) and of course will send with track number.

·
Registered
14 Posts
alasoa,

Hello,
Is your buddy selling the kits for conversion to 17" front wheels on the 1290 SAS? I am in the USA and I'm looking for a conversion kit. Do these spacers allow us to use the 1290 SAS brake rotors?

Thanks

I just joined here, so I can't send you a private message. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

thanks!
Sorry for delay. Email just send, I was thinking no one was interested in the kit :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am happy to see that someone is making a kit for this conversion . I figured it out and had parts made by a friend of mine who is a machinist. If I were in the market I would seriously consider your kit. Reasonable price as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you very much Grizz, the kit was made with a lot of care, fits perfectly and the bike rides as a dream.

Only after read your work on the forum I tought was possible and I was able to convice my mate to made it. He works developing and improving engines so was not so easy to get my kit designed and cut it, ist work it´s a bit more sophisticated...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Soulomoto

You will be able to use your existing rotors. The location of rotor attachment points is identical, the Rotors are 5mm wider on each side relative to the Super Duke . The spacers take care of this.

I think you need SD rotors. SAS rotors are different, same rotor diameter but 6 holes to fit in the rim, as 17 SD rim has only 5 holes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Rick, in the process of this myself I have a few questions if someone could help that would be great.

Do you have wheel spacer sizes ? Or which I can buy or do they need to be machined custom?

Tone rings is it only the front that needs changing ? 45 slot is that correct ?

And only other things I need are smt mudguard and 5mm disc spacers ?

Thank you.
Hi Jason. Apologies for not responding to you. I havent been on this site in a while.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Some day, I'd like to meet up with one of you guys who have done the 19"-17" front wheel swap on a Super Adv and trade rides for a few miles of non-straight road. IMO, the SA is much easier to look at than my SDGT, but I like the power and sporty handling and the tight ergos don't bother me.

When I put aux lights and handguards(which now come stock) on, an ADVer asked why I was trying to convert the GT to an SA. Not really my intent at all, but if I were to do anything, it would be a bodywork/tank swap. For those who think the pegs are too close to the seat, Knight Design makes drop pegs. I've considered them, but haven't felt the need.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have only sat on an SD GT at a dealer. I think I might be able to live with the ergos, but I know I'd be much happier with the extra legroom and more upright stance of the SA. If a revised SD GT comes out, I will definitely give it a go.

Drop pegs are an option, but I wonder, is clearance an issue? Some peg scraping is going to happen, but too much/too hard can be disconcerting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That’s the reason cause I went into a rim swap, ergonomics. Love 1290 position, as it means comfort in long rides and better handling with a front 17 rim.

My 1290 SAS is now street legal in Spain/Europe where I lives and for me it’s the ultimate bike. Maybe dreaming to adapt a rear rim to put a 180 tyre, maybe this winter…

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Here is my impressions after having ridden my 17” front wheeled SAS for about a year now. I get on it now and it’s hard to remember it being anything other than what it is now.

My goal really was to make the Adventure framed bike perform like a 1290 SDR. Obviously, no matter what you do the engine to get you equivalent or closely equivalent power your in stock format the SAS is pushing 90 lbs more.

The ergos will always be a little different and in track day attack mode the tighter ergos which can be manipulated more on the SDR to put put your weight more on the front bars would be preferable. Depends on you style though as well. A Chris Fillmore would just eat it up on a 17” x17” SAS.

But while an SDR has its advantages in pier performance the SAS 17” set up is incredible especially for big brutes like me 6’5” 270 lbs. So for traveling and comfort the 17” SAS is hard to beat. The steering is light and nimble and with it now pushing engine performance close to a stock SDR it is an absolute monster. Even with my big *** on this beast it power wheelies out of turns in 2nd and third gear. I just love it.

For me in street mode chassis set up I took off hand guards, rolled the bars back, removed the pegs and put Puig racing pegs with Puig adjustable which simply putting pegs on dropped the pegs a 1/2” the the adjusted pegs mounts allowed for another 20 mm back and up. This all aimed at getting me in a position so I am little more over the bars. Still relaxed just pushing my weight toward front tire. The couple that with Metzler 9rr rubber with a 180/55 R17 rear and 120/70 R17 front it’s ridiculous. I set the preloads all the way up (two up with luggage) again putting more weight up front .

I have a pair of 19” x 17” spoked set that I made from components I had and buying a 2016 SAT front rim. Currently they are shod in the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2’s. But to got to Adventure mode, all I have to do is switch wheels, put on the OEM 19” fender, put my Pivot Pro pegs on, adjust the brake and shift levers, Roll the bars forward, put on hand guards and it’s ready. If I really did plan more than a leisurely Fire road I would have to get a skid plate and at least lower crash guards. But you are good to go. Completely different bike.

So last year I bought an RC8R which needed some TLC. Did a lot of work on it bringing it up to snuff. It turned out to be a pretty sick bike. But realistically the bikes ergos were too tight and it was canted to far over the front bars for any distance of street riding. I did track it two days last year, but a lot of space in my garage for a bike that is just a track weapon.

So about two weeks ago I traded the RC8R for a 2022 SDR EVO. This is the bike that basically was my goal to emulate with the SAS. Here is what I would say is a comparison. The SDR is so light steering it is crazy. You think it turns. There is so much power to weight it wants to wheelie every where. Performance is insane.

The ergos which are more Super Moto like than the RC8R are still more aggressively bent in the knees. Which even though I am pushing 70 yrs this July my knees can handle. My arthritis is in my back, shoulders and elbows, so I appreciate the upright position with the wide bars.

This SDR is going to be an absolute hoot on a track. I will get some track day oriented accessories for it. Like a pillion cover, maybe a belly pan. At the same time the SDR can not even come close to the SAS for any type of all day travel and street use. So if I know I am just going to be doing twisties all day in the mountains, it SDR time. If the intent is just general street use and traveling to destinations then it is SAS time. Off road is then SAS conversion to adventure style.

Either way in direct comparison the SAS with all its wheel and engine performance upgrades while it comes close to the SDR is not an SDR. Dam close though. But you can ride the SAS all day everyday for weeks on end. So for me everything I did was worth it . All the conversion cost and time made an incredible machine capable of incredible street and track performance. That has no equal that can achieve these performance levels while making it an absolute pleasure to ride for days on end.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts