KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 1290 Super Duke R (Black)
91 Posts
More to the point: It looks like the sudden draw when you hit the starter is bottoming out the battery, causing a reboot. But I am not a mechanic, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
953 Posts
What he is saying is that with 1290s, always check the battery first. They do not start if the battery is low and there is always a parasitic draw when the bike is turned off. I have never seen a bike behave like yours is. I doubt it is the problem but add loose ground wire. They have been known to come loose and cause issues.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
What he is saying is that with 1290s, always check the battery first. They do not start if the battery is low and there is always a parasitic draw when the bike is turned off. I have never seen a bike behave like yours is. I doubt it is the problem but add loose ground wire. They have been known to come loose and cause issues.
Yes, that's what he is saying. Thanks for the translation!

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
813 Posts
My '16 GT goes thru a battery every 12-18 months, even when ridden daily. I've learned over the years that no matter the symptom, just replace the battery. Even if it's a new battery. Just replace the battery, and presto, it's fixed!

YMMV

·
Registered
435 Posts
When I replaced the cheapass OEM with a heavy duty lithium ion (by SSB) with high CCA, all my start issues were resolved (vapor lock when hot, initial stalling when cold). Now it fires up almost instantly first time every time.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
When I replaced the cheapass OEM with a heavy duty lithium ion (by SSB) with high CCA, all my start issues were resolved (vapor lock when hot, initial stalling when cold). Now it fires up almost instantly first time every time.
Where did you buy that, if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
18 SDR
2,315 Posts
The light weight lithium batteries are awesome but if you ride in cooler areas or cold weather take note:

“Cold temperature increases the internal resistance and lowers the capacity. A battery that provides 100 percent capacity at 80°F will typically deliver only 50 percent at 0°F. Put simply, cold weather will decrease the lifespan of your battery because it will require charging more often.”

·
Registered
18 SDR
2,315 Posts
My '16 GT goes thru a battery every 12-18 months, even when ridden daily. I've learned over the years that no matter the symptom, just replace the battery. Even if it's a new battery. Just replace the battery, and presto, it's fixed!

YMMV
Clogan - Are you using a high quality intelligent battery conditioner? I’ve never had issues with my OEM batteries -my first new KTM 5years+, my GEN 2 SDR now almost 4 years…I’ve never removed my batteries in winter when my bike is in my un heated garage In Canadian winters…

“All OptiMate chargers run a unique 'connect and forget' 24hr, 7 days-a-week, 365 days-a-year programme, so they can and should be connected to your bike's battery and left to do their work – no user input required.”

I’m sure there are other equivalent brands, I just have real world experience with Optimate.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Clogan - Are you using a high quality intelligent battery conditioner? I’ve never had issues with my OEM batteries -my first new KTM 5years+, my GEN 2 SDR now almost 4 years…I’ve never removed my batteries in winter when my bike is in my un heated garage I’m Canadian winters…

“All OptiMate chargers run a unique 'connect and forget' 24hr, 7 days-a-week, 365 days-a-year programme, so they can and should be connected to your bike's battery and left to do their work – no user input required.”

I’m sure there are other equivalent brands, I just have real world experience with Optimate.
Likewise Battery Tender.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Something I noticed on a Triumph forum regarding complaints with lithium batteries. A good portion of people not having issues resided in Australia.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to repeat my experience with them.

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
813 Posts
Clogan - Are you using a high quality intelligent battery conditioner? I’ve never had issues with my OEM batteries -my first new KTM 5years+, my GEN 2 SDR now almost 4 years…I’ve never removed my batteries in winter when my bike is in my un heated garage In Canadian winters…

I ride year round, but in winter I sometimes have a week to 10 days between rides. Bike is stored in an insulated but unheated garage. About a year ago I started using a Battery Tender brand tender. Nevertheless, I still had to replace my one+year+old battery this past March. Interesting to note that when I installed the new battery, my bike still would not start, and I had to buy a second new battery, with which the bike fired right up. All of my "old" batteries, which were insufficient to start my SDGT, remain in service in other apps. One in my KLR (had to turn it on its side), one in my ATV, one as my 12v power supply on my work bench, and two that I gave away.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I concur with above. Thats a battery. Never trust that the Battery in the bike has the same birthday as your bike itself. I bought a BMW once that had a battery in it that was two years older than it. NEW CAR! Eeash

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also check out battery maintainers by CTEK. They have 6 cycles which includes conditioning the battery occasionally. They have adapters that connect to the batt terminals and can by accessed without removing the seat. They have LEDs on the pigtail that show the current condition too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts