KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wanted to throw this info out there and see what everyone thinks may be the issue, or potentially has had this issue.
I bought a 2020 KTM 300 XC a little over a month ago now, and only got one ride on it.

The bike had .2 hours on it when I got it. I got the suspension all dialed in, did a few heat cycles at the house and headed for the track to take it easy and keep it close to the truck Incase I had any issues on my first ride.

I rode a few easy laps and started smelling coolant right away. I went back to the truck and checked the coolant level, it was a little low but I assumed it had just burped an air pocket from the factory fill or something. After that I did a few more laps and headed home. Ended up with only 1.2 hours on the meter total.

I cleaned the bike and stored it in the garage. A few weeks later I got some parts in and went to install them, prior to install I went to fire the bike up and it wouldn’t start. Finally, it started after a huge backfire through the exhaust. I got it warm and gave it some throttle, then noticed it was blowing coolant out the exhaust.

Almost in disbelief I took it over to the wall and gave it some more throttle, my wall was now painted with coolant.

I immediately called the dealer I purchased from to explain the situation. They were in disbelief as was I. I dropped the bike off a few days later when they opened up and was told they’d diagnose and call me. They confirmed the coolant in exhaust themselves and KTM NA asked them to tear the top end down to see where the failure had occurred.

At this point they found the head o-ring to have failed and the top end was pretty well smoked from all the coolant running through it. KTM NA authorized a full top end replacement and they ordered parts. Once the parts came, they put the bike back together and went for a test ride. SAME ISSUE. Coolant blowing out the exhaust yet again.

KTM NA now wants them to tear it down again and split the case to look further into the issue... I will report back next week with what they find.

Has anyone here seen this issue?

Am I out of line asking for a new motor or a new bike? I’ve owned the bike for a little over a month and it was NEVER useable since hour 1....

Thanks in advance for your input

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update - KTM has now requested the dealership send the motor down to them in Southern California so they can’t diagnose the issue.

Nobody seems to where the coolant is being pushed from.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Sounds like a assembly fault or parts failure. I assume you do not have her at home anymore? If you did you could check for bubbles in radiator (indicates issues with head gasket or damage to head or head insert).

Four places you can get water in:
  • Head gasket (you see bubbles in radiator, water in exhaust)
  • Water pump seal (water in oil)
  • Cylinder base gasket (water down in crank, will also get up and out through exhaust)
  • Or a cracked/damaged head or head insert. (Here you chase your tail replacing gaskets etc but nothing changes! You will also see small bubbles in radiator)

One more thing that will cause these issues, but should not be on a new bike: Not enough squish (gap between piston and cylinder head) so piston pushes up head when at the top allowing water in to piston. If you have this you need a new big end, conrod and piston...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a assembly fault or parts failure. I assume you do not have her at home anymore? If you did you could check for bubbles in radiator (indicates issues with head gasket or damage to head or head insert).

Four places you can get water in:
  • Head gasket (you see bubbles in radiator, water in exhaust)
  • Water pump seal (water in oil)
  • Cylinder base gasket (water down in crank, will also get up and out through exhaust)
  • Or a cracked/damaged head or head insert. (Here you chase your tail replacing gaskets etc but nothing changes! You will also see small bubbles in radiator)
One more thing that will cause these issues, but should not be on a new bike: Not enough squish (gap between piston and cylinder head) so piston pushes up head when at the top allowing water in to piston. If you have this you need a new big end, conrod and piston...
The bike is still in the shop, and the motor is in a crate on its way to KTM NA now.

The shop did put an entire new top end on it last week (cylinder, piston, head etc) and when they fired it off, it almost immediately started pushing water out the exhaust again. That being said - looks like its a bad cylinder base surface. Though the shop had checked this surface and said it was true.

I am curious to see what KTM has to say after their techs check it out today/tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Cool. Be sure to let us know re the developments!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s what they’re thinking. Still no update as of now.

Hope to hear more on Monday.

There is not really anywhere else for coolant to get in right? Either the head, cylinder base, or case?

Which they already did a new head, cylinder and all associates gaskets. And it did it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully they’ve got some fresh cases for this thing handy down there.

I am very interested to hear what they find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I’m supposed to get the bike back tomorrow.

KTM was unable to pinpoint the problem. They put all new cases, new crank and another new top end. Basically the only original part coming back to me is the transmission.

Hopefully it holds its coolant and runs good this time.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Well I’m supposed to get the bike back tomorrow.

KTM was unable to pinpoint the problem. They put all new cases, new crank and another new top end. Basically the only original part coming back to me is the transmission.

Hopefully it holds its coolant and runs good this time.
Did you get the bike? And if so, what was the verdict??

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad has a 2020 300xc with the same problem. We did a a new water pump, new piston and gaskets, new radiator cap, all of it, it's still blowing coolant. No cracks visible and bike only has 19 hours on it. Any help much appreciated with this issue

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
@L5P What was the outcome re your water in exhaust?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem 2020 300xc only 19 hours and now coolant is blowing out of the exhaust!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts