KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just want to put this out because it really grinds my gears how some manufacturers really don't give a sh!t. I bought TWO (2) Puig touring screens for my 2020. First one was missing hardware because it was a used return. I wonder why? That is when I notice the mounting holes really dont line up. So, I returned that one and bought another. This time the hardware was all there. STILL, the mounting holes did not line up. Verified the part number 4 times. Called Puig USA. They contacted manufacturer direct. Sent a pic to them. Told them when I overlap the screens, they clearly do not match. Can you believe they pretty much said I don't know what I'm doing and I'm am supposed to FORCE and bend the screen to fit a $21,000 motorcycle. FU Puig.

So, I bit the bullet. Paid the shipping from Italy to the US and ordered a WRS. Pulled it out of the package, overlapped the new over the old. I had the screen on my bike in 5 minutes. PERFECT. Thank you WRS-EvoTech.

DON'T BY a PUIG! JUNK half a$$ engineering!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Weird. I wonder if this is only an issue on latest Gen. I have a PUIG on my 2017 SDGT and I love it. Fit perfect. Performs amazing. Anyone else try to put one of these on their 2019 or 2020 and have issues? First I heard tbh. Not doubting OP at all, just wondering.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Geez. Someone probably moved a decimal point by accident. You've got to hope that the engineer that designed that doesn't build bridges too. It's a funny feeling having that dumb look on your face, standing in a garage when something that should fit, doesn't. Glad to hear it was resolved.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just want to put this out because it really grinds my gears how some manufacturers really don't give a sh!t. I bought TWO (2) Puig touring screens for my 2020. First one was missing hardware because it was a used return. I wonder why? That is when I notice the mounting holes really dont line up. So, I returned that one and bought another. This time the hardware was all there. STILL, the mounting holes did not line up. Verified the part number 4 times. Called Puig USA. They contacted manufacturer direct. Sent a pic to them. Told them when I overlap the screens, they clearly do not match. Can you believe they pretty much said I don't know what I'm doing and I'm am supposed to FORCE and bend the screen to fit a $21,000 motorcycle. FU Puig.

So, I bit the bullet. Paid the shipping from Italy to the US and ordered a WRS. Pulled it out of the package, overlapped the new over the old. I had the screen on my bike in 5 minutes. PERFECT. Thank you WRS-EvoTech.

I can fully back this up. I put a PUIG ( french for junk) Touring screen on my 2019 SDGT last season. When I put it on the holes didn't line up (as the instructions warned) and because of that one of the spacers stripped threads. They replaced the stripped spacer about 2 weeks later but the screen was SO NOISY ( deafeningly loud) because of the curved edge that I replaced it with a Calsci screen that I loved. Unfortunately the Calsci screen got a rock in the face so I was forced to reinstall this Puig screen for a while. Guess what? On reinstallation the spacer thread stripped. I used the simpler Calsci screws and ordered replacement parts from Puig USA for $12.00 each.
14 WEEKS yes... 14 weeks , a whole season- later I got the two spacers! If this post saves one fellow KTM forum member from giving this shoddy outfit any money, the effort was worth it.
DO NOT BUY THIS SCREEN... ITS GARBAGE. It does keep the wind off but its noisy as hell, even with my Schuberth E1 I cant hear regular speakers other than" in your ear buds", over 50 MPH and it doesn't fit properly- even the instructions warn that it might not and that's supposed to be" normal".
I contemplated selling it but wouldnt want to burden a fellow KTM fan with this junk screen so I'll use it 'til the end of our season this month and when my WRS screen arrives in time for next season this will going in the trash
IMG_4142.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
That’s a nice looking screen there. Maybe they make one for the 1st Gen.

And my 2 cents, I bought a Vstream for my Gen 1 because the Puigs are made from acrylic, which shards in a crash, whereas most other brands are made from high grade plastic which shatters instead. Won’t slit your throat in a high side! Puig is built to a price so cheap materials and obviously less than detailed machining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
203 Posts
I had missing hardware when i got my screen too, the company i got it from sent me hardware in a week. As for fit, I had troubles lining it up too, the mounts on the bike are angled so when you use the spacing hardware the holes in the puig and stock shields have to be in different spots. I ended up putting the spacers on the shield first, loosely, then screwing the spacers onto the bike mounts. The dark shield I have looks awesome, but i still get battered in the ears and get tons of bugs in the face screen.....thinking of cutting it down shorter than stock and let my helmet deal with clean air
20200708_131641.jpg
20200427_150606.jpg
l

·
Registered
687 Posts
Odd, the sport touring one I got for my '17 fit perfectly.

Reactions: Sthrnromr

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed the standoffs first. Then set the Puig on top to check alignment. Wasn't even close. There is no way Im going to force that screen on such an expensive bike. This issue must be the Gen II 2019 and up. Again, I bought/replaced with a WRS right from Italy. 45 bux to ship to the USA. However, was fast UPS shipping. You clearly get what you pay for. I had it on the bike in 5 minutes. Perfect. Here's the pic of the WRS. I still haven't ridden yet. I hope it is quiet. Raining and it will be all weekend.....

Oh, that pic of your helmet will all the bug shards....i think i puked in my morning coffee....🤮

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
203 Posts
That is a fine looking screen, like the tint.
Sorry about the bug pic, didn't smell great either. This screen and the stock screen shoots the buggers straight to the face.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Odd, the sport touring one I got for my '17 fit perfectly.
Exactly my experience. I’m pretty sure that’s the case for 16,17,18 and only 19, 20 are the ones having this issue. They should probably do a redesign for the latest Gen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took a ride with the new WRS screen. It does block the wind from hitting your shoulders. I still get pelted with bugs in the shield though. Sounds quiter at 70mph. I didnt ride at cruising speeds to see though. Thats were I hold 85mph or 90mph for miles and miles. That will happen this weekend when I take another trip to Va. This time to the Va/Tn border...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I took a ride with the new WRS screen. It does block the wind from hitting your shoulders. I still get pelted with bugs in the shield though. Sounds quiter at 70mph. I didnt ride at cruising speeds to see though. Thats were I hold 85mph or 90mph for miles and miles. That will happen this weekend when I take another trip to Va. This time to the Va/Tn border...
I'm Jealous.. We have 10 C and rain - season is over

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I had missing hardware when i got my screen too, the company i got it from sent me hardware in a week. As for fit, I had troubles lining it up too, the mounts on the bike are angled so when you use the spacing hardware the holes in the puig and stock shields have to be in different spots. I ended up putting the spacers on the shield first, loosely, then screwing the spacers onto the bike mounts. The dark shield I have looks awesome, but i still get battered in the ears and get tons of bugs in the face screen.....thinking of cutting it down shorter than stock and let my helmet deal with clean air View attachment 98839 View attachment 98840 View attachment 98840 l
The MadStad Engineering windshield I have does not have any buffeting, and I am assuming the air hole that is just above the instrument console might have something to do with it. In addition, when I first bought the 2019 SDGT I ordered another windshield, which did not fit, even though the website said it would. To add insult to injury, when I contacted the manufacture they said they had not realized there is a difference between the 2018 and 2019 models. At that point, they went out on a limb and said they would split the return postage with me.

SDGT Mirror Extensions.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guy’s. I had no problems with mounting a Touring Screen PG3564 from Puig on my 1290 gt. The only thing was that I had to change the position of the handlebars so that the Wind screen did not hit the handlebars.
Regards
Niels-Erik
Denmark 071967F7-2A34-4DE4-A2FC-A9CE6A7C10F4.jpeg 14D84450-062F-417B-ADE2-D9DF5131F0B4.jpeg 3FEB3AA1-94F1-48DB-8531-128A2A2C5086.jpeg

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
The Puig is certainly stylish, but this Madstad with X-creen means practically zero bugs ever make it to my faceshield.

I had tried a National Cycle V-Stream and a Cal-Sci large, but the stock mounting flexed so much, both screens cracked. The extended Madstad screen is the same size as a Cal-Sci large, but the mounting bracket is much sturdier. As a bonus, the Madstad mount is adjustable for height and angle, so experimentation allows the rider to find his own sweet spot.

Here's the Cal-Sci with X-creen;

I know both are huge screens and not at all stylish, but they work. This is what it came with;

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
The Puig is certainly stylish, but this Madstad with X-creen means practically zero bugs ever make it to my faceshield.

I had tried a National Cycle V-Stream and a Cal-Sci large, but the stock mounting flexed so much, both screens cracked. The extended Madstad screen is the same size as a Cal-Sci large, but the mounting bracket is much sturdier. As a bonus, the Madstad mount is adjustable for height and angle, so experimentation allows the rider to find his own sweet spot.

Here's the Cal-Sci with X-creen;

I know both are huge screens and not at all stylish, but they work. This is what it came with;

The MadStad screen mounts that you are describing DO NOT fit the 2019 forward models as the front end was completely redesigned to fit the new digital instrument panel. I have a MadStad size medium screen that bolts directly to the factory mounts, and they do not sell the size large for 2019 anymore because the it cracks at high speeds. In addition, I keep mine at the lowest setting, as while it works totally extended, it flexes more at speed.

·
Registered
2016 1190 Adv, 2020 890 DukeR, 2008 Buell 1125R
7 Posts

Did you try working with puig?

I had a similar situation with r&g radiator guards but they refunded my money, I sent some details about the fitment since previous applications didnt work and they came out with an updated version a few weeks later.

Always a little better to help out and get something that works for everyone. Hopefully puig took your information and made corrections.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts