KTM Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2020 1290 Super Duke 2 weeks ago. 3 days ago I was riding the bike and I got an error on the screen indicating "MTC Failure" and the yellow icon was lit. After that I couldn't access the Warnings menu item. It was disabled. Today I went to check the bike and the light was still on. I was reading in the manual that MTC stands for "Motorcycle Traction Control", basically controls your traction on high acceleration, and as I'm riding the bike under 6500 RPM (the bike is only 75 miles) I thought, I'll take it for a ride, what could go wrong, right?. The light still on. Riding on the highway I get the "Fuel Reserve" sign so I make a stop to add fuel and boom, after refueling the light on the board is gone and I can access again the Warnings menu. When I go in the warnings menu, nothing in there... What do you guys suggest? Should I take the bike to the dealership for inspection? For the record they have a backlog of 2 weeks... Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took delivery of a "new" 2016 SDGT last June. I had several intermittent, MTC failure codes that went away after riding and restarting the bike. Recently, after accumulating 5400 miles, the MTC code came on, along with a Check Engine Light and wouldn't go away. The bike went into "limp mode" and several functions became disabled. The shop was able to clear the codes and traced the problem to improperly adjusted exhaust valve cables. You should ask your shop to check that when you take it in for the break-in service.

·
Registered
554 Posts
These ktms can be a bit funny at first. Like you and curve junkie, and many others, I had similar issues at first. There are a lot of electronics on the bike and getting everything synced correctly can cause issues. So can a weak battery. After the shock of a brand new bike throwing error codes wears off, just address the problems and it always seems to work out. There might be some trips to the dealership to hook the bike up to the ktm diagnostic tool though. I DID have a MTC failure at about 7,000 miles which was replaced under warranty. After I went through my growing pains with my ktm I realized that the level of sophistication and complexity of multiple electronic systems means that you should ride the hell out of the bike and address anything you need to as they come. The problems you are facing do not linger on for years. From what I've seen they are hiccups along the way. Ride it like you stole it and let the warranty take care of the rest. KTM seems really, really good at authorizing warranty repairs. Making sure that your battery is always charged will take away a lot of problems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the exact same issue on my 2020 SDR the light came on for no reason, at the time I was about 200 miles into it,scared the hell outta me! Then I figured it's under warranty, ride the hell outta it and see whats wrong. Turns out it didn't seem to be anything, just an odd code for no reason, I chalked it up to "new bike gremlins" the code cleared itself after a few cycles of he on-off switch and never a problem since!

·
Registered
176 Posts
These ktms can be a bit funny at first. Like you and curve junkie, and many others, I had similar issues at first. There are a lot of electronics on the bike and getting everything synced correctly can cause issues. So can a weak battery. After the shock of a brand new bike throwing error codes wears off, just address the problems and it always seems to work out. There might be some trips to the dealership to hook the bike up to the ktm diagnostic tool though. I DID have a MTC failure at about 7,000 miles which was replaced under warranty. After I went through my growing pains with my ktm I realized that the level of sophistication and complexity of multiple electronic systems means that you should ride the hell out of the bike and address anything you need to as they come. The problems you are facing do not linger on for years. From what I've seen they are hiccups along the way. Ride it like you stole it and let the warranty take care of the rest. KTM seems really, really good at authorizing warranty repairs. Making sure that your battery is always charged will take away a lot of problems.
My 2015 sdr at 10,000k developed an intermittent MTC failure warning. I chased the fault for the next 7,000k. I tested the battery, charging system and the wheel sensors but everything was in spec. I own a taxi and it has a security camera and alarm system in it that is very sensitive to voltage drop that will send it into fault mode. More than .4 of a volt drop was all it took, I won't go into how I solved that problem but it got me thinking that the electronics on my Ktm1290r may be just as sensitive to voltage drop. I knew the battery and charging system was good so I thought it could be an earth problem. I stripped the seat and tank off, found two main earths. I undid the earths to find that they sat straight onto the painted frame and it had corroded under the paint causing a bad earth. BINGO! There was my problem, I ground back the earth points on the frame to bare metal, sprayed it with rust inhibitor and reconnected the earths. 4,000ks later and still no more MTC failure warnings.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had a bunch of MTC failure warnings on my '17 and it was never a problem that didn't go away as soon as the engine was started. I attributed it to the mechanical version of a brainfart and rode merrily away.

Assuming the hardware is fine, they are most likely false readings that you should ignore. Mine only come up when starting the bike cold and dissapears as soon as it's running. Now that's its warm outside, I haven't seen it since.

Reactions: jbejas

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have the 2020 SDR, took a ride to try to get to the coveted 600 mile mark. After a few hours of riding it like I stole it came through a 20mph curve doing maybe 40 - 50 mph, felt like the back tire slipped a bit and then the MTC failure flashed. I noticed the bike had very limited power, stopped, shut it off, waited for a few minutes and tried again. The power was back in check and it seemed fine except the little yellow engine light remains on. I am nearly to the 600 mile mark so figure i would wait until the initial service to weed out the issue. Guess this comes with owning a brand stanking new bike.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A few on off starts and the error warning can disappear. The warning can last a few starting cycles then disappear, if its a small glitch triggering it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2020 1290 Super Duke 2 weeks ago. 3 days ago I was riding the bike and I got an error on the screen indicating "MTC Failure" and the yellow icon was lit. After that I couldn't access the Warnings menu item. It was disabled. Today I went to check the bike and the light was still on. I was reading in the manual that MTC stands for "Motorcycle Traction Control", basically controls your traction on high acceleration, and as I'm riding the bike under 6500 RPM (the bike is only 75 miles) I thought, I'll take it for a ride, what could go wrong, right?. The light still on. Riding on the highway I get the "Fuel Reserve" sign so I make a stop to add fuel and boom, after refueling the light on the board is gone and I can access again the Warnings menu. When I go in the warnings menu, nothing in there... What do you guys suggest? Should I take the bike to the dealership for inspection? For the record they have a backlog of 2 weeks... Thanks for the help!
If you turn it on and off 3 times it will clear but it won’t go away

·
Registered
176 Posts
A few on off starts and the error warning can disappear. The warning can last a few starting cycles then disappear, if its a small glitch triggering it.
I don't know if this will help or is the same problem on the 2020 model but my 2015 was getting the MTC failure warning and I chased the problem for 12 months (it was out of warranty). I checked everything, abs sensors etc but I couldn't find any problems. Then an idea came to me one day because I was having problems with my security camera in my taxi that turned out to be that the camera was very sensitive to the smallest voltage drop. So back to my bike, I decided to check the major earth points. I found one near the battery and one up near the ABS system under the front of the fuel tank. Both these earths were bolted to the frame; however, the frame under the earth was fully painted and under the paint it was corroded causing a poor earth. It wasn't poor enough to affect the starting and running of the bike but I believed it was the problem of my MTC fault. I ground the paint off to bare metal, reattached the earths and it worked. One year later and the MTC is still going great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you turn it on and off 3 times it will clear but it won’t go away
I don't know if this will help or is the same problem on the 2020 model but my 2015 was getting the MTC failure warning and I chased the problem for 12 months (it was out of warranty). I checked everything, abs sensors etc but I couldn't find any problems. Then an idea came to me one day because I was having problems with my security camera in my taxi that turned out to be that the camera was very sensitive to the smallest voltage drop. So back to my bike, I decided to check the major earth points. I found one near the battery and one up near the ABS system under the front of the fuel tank. Both these earths were bolted to the frame; however, the frame under the earth was fully painted and under the paint it was corroded causing a poor earth. It wasn't poor enough to affect the starting and running of the bike but I believed it was the problem of my MTC fault. I ground the paint off to bare metal, reattached the earths and it worked. One year later and the MTC is still going great.
I’ve just got my bike back from the dealership having the same problem Mtc failure. It turns out the crank sensor gap was to close so now been sorted so we will see if it works

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same just happened to me on my 2020 around 500 miles. Have to wait 2 weeks until service dept has time to check and do initial service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My issue cleared itself after a few more rides. No more limp mode thankfully. My 1st service is on Thursday finally. Will see if the shop finds anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts