KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that KTM had realised the Mikuni was not the way to go on the 125 and 150sx. But I see they still have that one in the spec sheet for the 2020 bikes. Why?? And where do all the discarded Mikunis go???

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
Don't know mate. I suppose ktm might be on a contract maybe for the carbs? No idea.
I haven't done a lot of work with the smaller 2 bangers, but we use to be able to jet the mikuni's and mod the slides a bit on the earlier ones and get them running well on the 250's and 300's.
What are most doing? Laying big bucks down for a lectron?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, the Lectron seems to be the answer. Or fit a Keihin... Went to have a look at a private sellers 2018 KTM 150sx and it had the Mikuni on. Bike had done 32 hours and apart from a scratch on the front guard it was very tidy. His son had crashed and broke his femur, so will be out for 12 months... so dad decided to sell bike and then reconsider when he is healed. I had hoped that they would have already sorted the carbi. But not even jetting. My son took it for a test ride and there was heaps of smoke coming from the muffler for the whole time. Back home I had a look at the specs for the 150sx from 2017 to 2020. There has been some upgrades and minor changes. But the carbi is the same. Today I spoke with a KTM shop who has a 2019 for sale. He reconed that they had re-jetted the carbi and there is no need for anything else to be done... I belive it when I see it...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
N.f.i on that one mate.
To new for me. I don't get too many of the nice new bikes to work on. Usually only busted a-se old heaps of sh-t.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha... DW, hope you ride a new one!!

We had decided to sell the 2016 125sx and buy a late model 150sx as my boy is now a Senior and will ride in MX2 and he wants to ride a 2stroke (NZ does not allow 250sx in MX2... you end up in MX1). I am not too keen buying a 150sx that straight away needs work. But that is how it looks like it will pan out: Work on the Mikuni or replace it with a Kehin or a Lectron. I will keep on looking but suspect that the ones who have solved the issue will hold on to their 150sx... A light 2 stroke that produces same amount of Hp as a 250 4 stroke! What is there not to like?

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Hahaha... DW, hope you ride a new one!!

We had decided to sell the 2016 125sx and buy a late model 150sx as my boy is now a Senior and will ride in MX2 and he wants to ride a 2stroke (NZ does not allow 250sx in MX2... you end up in MX1). I am not too keen buying a 150sx that straight away needs work. But that is how it looks like it will pan out: Work on the Mikuni or replace it with a Kehin or a Lectron. I will keep on looking but suspect that the ones who have solved the issue will hold on to their 150sx... A light 2 stroke that produces same amount of Hp as a 250 4 stroke! What is there not to like?
A perfect spot for the best of the mikunis.....

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have found one KTM sales man that admits that the Mikuni needs to be replaced, that no matter what is done to re-jet etc. it will never work as well as a Kehin or a Lectron. So I am now talking turkey with him!

I also found out that the 2017 150/125sx were set up to use 60:1 fuel/oil ratio and as people continued with the standard 40:1 this caused issues and made the carbi impossible to set up. So now the 150/125sx are again made for 40:1. This helped when trying to dial in the Mikuni. But they are still temperamental and needs much more time to sort than Kehin. And for no obvious reason they will suddenly, after been working OK, start giving issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
Axzon
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing