KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having an issue with my bike stalling in first gear with the clutch disengaged. The bike doesn't move when the lever is in so I know the clutch is disengaged so that's where this is confusing. It idles totally fine in neutral. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas how to fix the problem?

·
Dirt Wizard
4,587 Posts
Does it stall when you're clicking it into first gear, or can it stall while already in first and pulling the clutch in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It stalls while in first. For example when coming to a stop while in first I pull the lever in and it will idle so low that it will stall. I've read about this idle screw mod but since it idles perfectly fine in neutral that makes me think it's not that.

·
Dirt tracker
3,364 Posts
It sounds like your engine may need a few hundred rpm added to idle speed. Too low and idle will do exactly what you have described here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey guys, bear with me as I am not familiar with bike mechanics but try to cross over with my experience as an automotive tech.
This sounds like a sticking input shaft (or the equivalent on a bike gearbox). Normally on a car, would be caused by a sticking spigot bearing, where the clutch disengages but the input shaft can't slow down quick enough because its still being partially driven by the crank shaft. The engine rpm gets pulled down because it's still being partially loaded by the engaged gear. So possibly some debris between the clutch basket and hub?

·
Dirt tracker
3,364 Posts
Your wet multi disc motorcycle clutch would be very different than your single disc dry automotive clutch. Your motorcycle clutch has inherent drag when running. This is normal. This is why your bike clunks and lurches slightly when shifted into gear with clutch pulled in. You may find your condition normal and your expectations are the problem. Yours is a fairly new bike but as transmission and clutch get worn the clutch drag may increase slightly. You may also find dirty transmission fluid or incorrect transmission fluid can increase clutch drag. If your trouble is evident only in first gear I would suggest trying to increase engine idle speed and retest.

Reactions: Mohawk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like your engine may need a few hundred rpm added to idle speed. Too low and idle will do exactly what you have described here.
Ya I guess I could try doing the idle screw mod. Wish KTM made it easier on these TPI's. Thanks.
Your wet multi disc motorcycle clutch would be very different than your single disc dry automotive clutch. Your motorcycle clutch has inherent drag when running. This is normal. This is why your bike clunks and lurches slightly when shifted into gear with clutch pulled in. You may find your condition normal and your expectations are the problem. Yours is a fairly new bike but as transmission and clutch get worn the clutch drag may increase slightly. You may also find dirty transmission fluid or incorrect transmission fluid can increase clutch drag. If your trouble is evident only in first gear I would suggest trying to increase engine idle speed and retest.
Ya im gonna try the idle adjustment once I get the proper idle screw mod done as ktm doesn't provide an adjustment from stock. I've heard you can open the air screw more which is what ktm calls the "idle screw" which increases rpm but doesn't allow more fuel which in turn causes more wear and tear on the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts