KTM Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Having painstakingly weighed between the Austin and Akrapovic systems for the SDR, I've decided to have a custom system built by a local custom bike builder. The fabricator/owner creates some exceptional designs, many of which have been featured in magazines and PipeBurn:

While I have no doubt the design and sound will be killer, I am wondering about deleting the catalytic converter. I understand that one of the Austin systems for the SDR deletes the cat, but does not require a remap and you retain the stock 02 sensor - which is what the custom system will do as well. The basic design will be two smaller, full through/open race mufflers tucked up under the bike, with a slash Akrapovic tip not too dissimilar from the Panigale basic layout.

Essentially I just want to build a catless system that retains the stock O2 sensor/location, that has a little (a lot) more growl, and not trigger any CELs or limp mode. I think that's possible with the basic layout we've put together, but I wanted to see if anyone knows for sure if deleting the cat requires other mods. I will be doing the Healtech ESE, so that wont be an issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Nova I can totally relate.
I recently upgraded my 2014 SDR with a 2020 SDR.
My 2014 SDR had a full de cat Austin exhaust on it that was brutal loud and I loved it.
But with the 14-16 week waiting period from Austin for full systems I’m looking at doing the same.
I have an Austin V3 mini can on order, I already have the healtech ESE kit.
The custom pipe will be made from reusing sections of the original pipe and adding additional sections once the cat is removed.
The Austin can will be directed to the side slightly as a “dumper” style exhaust.

my few questions are:

- can the cat be totally removed and replaced with a straight thru section (straight or a slight S bend) with no additional mufflers added. Or will this effect the bake pressure on the engine and result in damage.

- will the CO2 sensors be an issue? If so does anyone know a suitable hack for this?

- has anyone done anything similar and if so do you have comment and even photos?

many assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response LiveBreathe -

I feel your pain on the backorder as well! I am hopeful the cat can be removed and a straight through section added as long as the stock 02 sensor is retained. The logic being the ECU will 'learn' and adjust for the cat delete, and negate any remap. I may call the KTM dealership service department and ask them directly about removing the cat. Worst case I suppose the bike goes into limp mode and requires the arduous remap. I wasn't going to go that route because I personally just wanted better sound and looks and I dont think the bike really suffers from a power deficiency. But if I have to, I guess I will.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update - just spoke the the KTM service dept.

You can remove the cat, and as long as the 02 sensor is retained, no remap is required, but it is recommended that you also add a high flow filter to match the greater exhaust flow. The bike may experience some pops/backfires on decel, and it could trigger a CEL if it reads a condition that is too lean outside of the stock programming parameters. However, the service dept did confirm that the ECU can learn to a degree, as long as the 02 sensor is also retained. (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts