KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks HBG, I appreciate the compliments. I too keep the stock parts, and retained the cat and original exhaust pipe/muffler. Worst case, the new section could be cut off and the cat/resonator box and stock muffler/exhaust pipe could be reinstalled by welding it back into place. I also kept the stock cat and mufflers from my Honda, as well as previous bikes which I included in the sale in case the new owner wants the stock sound back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Nova I can totally relate.
I recently upgraded my 2014 SDR with a 2020 SDR.
My 2014 SDR had a full de cat Austin exhaust on it that was brutal loud and I loved it.
But with the 14-16 week waiting period from Austin for full systems I’m looking at doing the same.
I have an Austin V3 mini can on order, I already have the healtech ESE kit.
The custom pipe will be made from reusing sections of the original pipe and adding additional sections once the cat is removed.
The Austin can will be directed to the side slightly as a “dumper” style exhaust.

my few questions are:

- can the cat be totally removed and replaced with a straight thru section (straight or a slight S bend) with no additional mufflers added. Or will this effect the bake pressure on the engine and result in damage.

- will the CO2 sensors be an issue? If so does anyone know a suitable hack for this?

- has anyone done anything similar and if so do you have comment and even photos?

many assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I recently gutted the original exhaust of the V3 .. There are 2 sets of catalytic converters at the aft and front of the bottom o2 sensor . I removed both of them by cutting the exhaust pipe from the behind of 2-1 joint in front of the 1st cat . After that we burned both cats with torch and remove the parts . There is no engine management system failure or what so ever .. It runs great , sound great . Not soo loud like a shorty pipe but reasonable ..

21 - 22 of 22 Posts